Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best 1/10 4WD buggy for loose dirt/clay? >

Best 1/10 4WD buggy for loose dirt/clay?

Best 1/10 4WD buggy for loose dirt/clay?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
rpeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Best 1/10 4WD buggy for loose dirt/clay?

I have been looking alot at the Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 FS/FS2, the Associated B44.1, Caster SX-10 / S10B and Durango DEX410V3. The tracks (2) near home are both loose dirt/clay small to medium size with only 1 large jump each.

Which buggy would you choose and why? I have searched through the threads foe all 4 of these and they all seem good. The only negative stuff I have heard on 1/10 4Wd is about the Losi XXX-4's. I hear they dont take well to bad landings, etc.

I am looking through the "For Sale" section for something to pick up within the next day or two, so any help would be great. I am looking for a roller in the $150+ range, or an ARTR in the $250+ range if this helps.

Last edited by rpeker; 12-29-2011 at 03:06 AM.
rpeker is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (15)
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,412
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Each brand has qualities that make each of them a winner so I would suggest you make a list of the properties that are important to you like......
Speed
Handling
Reliability
Parts availablity + interchange with the other cars have
Ease of maintanance
and so on.
Or like some of us just get one of each.
I like the Kyosho right now. It performs well, I don't break a lot of stuff and I also have the Kyosho SCR and RB5 so many of the tuning parts interchange.
The Durango is a hoot to drive but sits on a shelf I'm not sure why.
The Losi's I love those cars, I need to bust mine out of storage.
Just bored with Assoc after decades... good cars though.
If you have an open mind just wait for a killer deal on anyone of them.
asc6000 is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 PM
  #3  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
rpeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
Each brand has qualities that make each of them a winner so I would suggest you make a list of the properties that are important to you like......
Speed
Handling
Reliability
Parts availablity + interchange with the other cars have
Ease of maintanance
and so on.
Or like some of us just get one of each.
I like the Kyosho right now. It performs well, I don't break a lot of stuff and I also have the Kyosho SCR and RB5 so many of the tuning parts interchange.
The Durango is a hoot to drive but sits on a shelf I'm not sure why.
The Losi's I love those cars, I need to bust mine out of storage.
Just bored with Assoc after decades... good cars though.
If you have an open mind just wait for a killer deal on anyone of them.
I would say that with my experience level, handling and parts availablity/interchangability are the #1 things for me. I cannot yet drive any car to its potential, so very forgiving handling is key.
rpeker is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 PM
  #4  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
GSMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Under Mount Etna
Posts: 189
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Look at the new Caster. It's amazing
GSMike is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM
  #5  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
rpeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GSMike View Post
Look at the new Caster. It's amazing
Good call! I forgot that one.
rpeker is offline  
Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 AM
  #6  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,851
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

If running in loose dirt, a shaft drive buggy is probably going to be more reliable.
Davidka is offline  
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM
  #7  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (22)
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Any buggy will do. Just add enough weight to get the tire of choice to meet the road. So pick the one with the least weight box stock and your set for any track and condition.
UN4RACING is offline  
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 PM
  #8  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
rpeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I decided on a Durango 410 spec. Thanks for the inputs everyone.
rpeker is offline  
Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 PM
  #9  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,132
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
If running in loose dirt, a shaft drive buggy is probably going to be more reliable.
Or one with a completely closed drive-train. (XX-4)
Radio Active is offline  
Old 12-30-2011, 05:30 PM
  #10  
Tech Initiate
 
jglaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Springfield, MA
Posts: 41
Default

I can't speak for all the 4X4's but I'm running a Durango 410R with all the necessary upgrades as my first 4X4 buggy and love it! By far my favorite car out of the 9 others I have lol
jglaze is offline  
Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
rpeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jglaze View Post
I can't speak for all the 4X4's but I'm running a Durango 410R with all the necessary upgrades as my first 4X4 buggy and love it! By far my favorite car out of the 9 others I have lol
When you say "with all the necessary upgrades", what do you mean? I decided on a Durango 410 and am wondering what upgrades you have done.
rpeker is offline  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:11 PM
  #12  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (125)
 
Briguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa , IL
Posts: 8,128
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Those are the aluminum suspension mounts that the Spec comes with .
Briguy is offline  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
TAMAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,994
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rpeker View Post
When you say "with all the necessary upgrades", what do you mean? I decided on a Durango 410 and am wondering what upgrades you have done.
What I have found you must get:

1: Tresrey ALUM servo saver arm
2: Just buy a fresh set of bearings.
3: Alum hinge pin holders (the V3 and 2010 spec came with them) just make sure you have them. The V3R will need these as welll
4: This car like to to be taken care of. READ READ READ.. Alot of this cars teething problems have been taken care of. Just read and dont be afraid to PM me for questions. Petit also has good advice: http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...ngoDEX410.html
TAMAK is offline  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 PM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
Coppercanyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,023
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Buy the Caster S10B (Perfect10) and be done with it. Great car.
Coppercanyon is offline  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 PM
  #15  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
rpeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TAMAK View Post
What I have found you must get:

1: Tresrey ALUM servo saver arm
2: Just buy a fresh set of bearings.
3: Alum hinge pin holders (the V3 and 2010 spec came with them) just make sure you have them. The V3R will need these as welll
4: This car like to to be taken care of. READ READ READ.. Alot of this cars teething problems have been taken care of. Just read and dont be afraid to PM me for questions. Petit also has good advice: http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...ngoDEX410.html
Great info, thanks!!
rpeker is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.