Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
MMP and the Tekin sc4x good or bad im new to sc >

MMP and the Tekin sc4x good or bad im new to sc

MMP and the Tekin sc4x good or bad im new to sc

Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default MMP and the Tekin sc4x good or bad im new to sc

please let me know what i have to do to get this setup to run good i already have the mmp and sc4x i keep hearing about having to use a glitch buster but cant get any thing clear please let me know
Old 12-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

in a light weight 2wd, it may not need a cap. i would just run it and see. i know the savox servos do suck a little more juice and may need it. i run the mmp and tekin 4600 in my losi scte with a cap and have not had a problem. i would suggest starting with very little timing though and checking temps.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

it worked great for me. when it worked... mmp died and im waiting on a replacement. they've had it for 2 months. i need to call and yell at them again.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Thanx guys im running it in my 4x4 hyper jammin mix truck im in a rut right now because i try to calibrate it to my radio and it takes the forward setting but wont take the full break setting just sets there and blinks red some one here said i might need to re flash the software so i ordered a castle link figure im going to need it anyways but i just keep hearing all this bad talk about the combo and every one saying get a RX8 im like i don't have that kind of money lol so if any one can give me a clear explanation on what i need and maybe a mmp set up that's good to start from let me know

Thanx RCtech
Kole
Old 12-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

alot of people at my track switched to the rx8 because the motors were drawing to many amps in 4x4 sct
Old 12-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I like my mmp, but depending on the servo and motor, it will most likely need a external bec. I would recommend another esc for a 4x4 especially with a 4 pole. Definitely run a glitch buster at the very least. I needed on with my hitec servo. With a Savox servo a 2 glitch busters wouldn't fix it. So running my hitec again.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

so i really need to get a cc bec to run properly then
Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

any more advise
Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Go for a CC BEC. I had many different MMP and it is needed, really. Especially with a high torque servo. If you can afford it go for a 1/8 ESC. That"s the reason why I stayed in SC 2wd: it's almost half the cost of a SC 4wd. To have a good setup on a SC 4wd you can afford a 1/8 buggy for the same price
Old 12-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Subscribed
Old 12-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

its good but it depends on your servo i had it in my sc10 4x4 (when i had one) and i had a glitch buster it still glitched because the servo was drawing to much power so i switched to a rx8. if i were you since you have it run it and give it a shot with the cc bec and if it does not work you may have to switch to a rx8. i've seen some people have luck with it and others not. but since you have it try it, it never hurts. if you have to switch the rx8 is the esc to get.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Wow thanx for all the responses keep them coming
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

after reading this, bringing it back from the dead threads...lol! I pretty much have the same question but my planned format is as follows: Traxxas SLASH 4X4, stock (blue) servo, TEKIN Redline SC4X 4.5 BL Motor and...wait for it... TEKIN RX8 or ~ MMP.

That is the dilema I am currently facing tossing up between both esc's. I am hearing GREAT things about both but never any bad until ready this and seeing some issues here and there. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *JayVee* View Post
after reading this, bringing it back from the dead threads...lol! I pretty much have the same question but my planned format is as follows: Traxxas SLASH 4X4, stock (blue) servo, TEKIN Redline SC4X 4.5 BL Motor and...wait for it... TEKIN RX8 or ~ MMP.

That is the dilema I am currently facing tossing up between both esc's. I am hearing GREAT things about both but never any bad until ready this and seeing some issues here and there. Thanks!
For the MMP you at least want a glitch buster as part of the standard package. With the RX8 you most likely will not need it, but it does not hurt to have it. Using an external BEC will fix the issue hands down for a MMP, but is often more drastic than is really needed.

Both are good at running the motor and both have hard core fans.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbenton View Post
For the MMP you at least want a glitch buster as part of the standard package. With the RX8 you most likely will not need it, but it does not hurt to have it. Using an external BEC will fix the issue hands down for a MMP, but is often more drastic than is really needed.

Both are good at running the motor and both have hard core fans.
So... this is all saying if I went with just the purchase of a new
ESC keeping the Tekin SC4X 4.5? The rx8 will be no problem plug and play and a great option while the mmp will need a bec? Is this correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service