Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
MMP and the Tekin sc4x good or bad im new to sc >

MMP and the Tekin sc4x good or bad im new to sc

MMP and the Tekin sc4x good or bad im new to sc

Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I run a MMP with a castle 3800 in my sc10 4x4 with a savox 1258tg. To combat the weak BEC i simply turned the BEC down with the castle link to the minimum 5v setting and have had no problems since.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by *JayVee* View Post
So... this is all saying if I went with just the purchase of a new
ESC keeping the Tekin SC4X 4.5? The rx8 will be no problem plug and play and a great option while the mmp will need a bec? Is this correct?
It depends on your servo. I run a hv servo direct from the lipo, no external BEC needed, just a modded servo extension cable like this one.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ALL Castle ESC's need the External BECs, or a glitch buster minimum. the castle sidewinder bec is 2 amps. (i assume the MMP is the same) thats right, 2 amps. and guess what??? most Savox (coreless or brushless) servos draw about 2.5 amps lock to lock with out any load.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

If you want a cheaper alternative than a rx8 or mmp I would go with a LT4 esc by Brushlesshobbies.com

I run them and they run great and are sensored/sensorless escs. I am currently running one in my scte with a 4.5T 550 SCT motor and it runs great. These escs can be had for under $70 and are freaking awesome. They come with a usb adapter so you can tune and tweak it from your computer also. And Stan is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his products 110%...
Old 12-02-2012, 01:12 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AndrewTom View Post
ALL Castle ESC's need the External BECs, or a glitch buster minimum. the castle sidewinder bec is 2 amps. (i assume the MMP is the same) thats right, 2 amps. and guess what??? most Savox (coreless or brushless) servos draw about 2.5 amps lock to lock with out any load.
I ran the Sidewinder SCT with an Airtronics 94358 without any cap or external BEC for two outdoor seasons on low to medium traction tracks without any problem.
However on a high traction indoor track things changed and the internal BEC was not enough.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

This is all new to me returning back to the hobby but prior I used to run MMP and MMM ESC's in every single one of my past rigs and never had any of these "GLITCHING" issues u guys are speaking of. Example was my rc8be I was running a mmm - 2650kv and I forgot the name brand it was well known and cost around 70+ dollars as my steering servo and never had any issues whatsoever while running 6s Lipo batteries... btw, I owned 2 of these same exactrdigs with the same exact set up with never one issue on either of them.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

This is all new to me returning back to the hobby but prior I used to run MMP and MMM ESC's in every single one of my past rigs and never had any of these "GLITCHING" issues u guys are speaking of. Example was my rc8be I was running a mmm - 2650kv and I forgot the name brand it was well known and cost around 70+ dollars as my steering servo and never had any issues whatsoever while running 6s Lipo batteries... btw, I owned 2 of these same exactrdigs with the same exact set up with never one issue on either of them.
It's the high amperage draw servos that cause "brown outs" or glitching. Savox and Spektrum servos are two of the well known high amp draw brands. Also if you run a spektrum receiver you are more prone to having issues as well. I used to run a spektrum cap on my sc10 4x4 and even then with a savox servo it would still glitch every now and then using a mmp.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Also as far the castle SCT combo I never heard of that meeting BEC or a glitch buster... Any word for experience on that system?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If you have an issue I would try a glitch buster before moving to a new BEC.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MattP View Post
It's the high amperage draw servos that cause "brown outs" or glitching. Savox and Spektrum servos are two of the well known high amp draw brands. Also if you run a spektrum receiver you are more prone to having issues as well. I used to run a spektrum cap on my sc10 4x4 and even then with a savox servo it would still glitch every now and then using a mmp.
I am running a FUTABA and again I forgot what servos I use to run but I do believe it was a Spectrum or FUTABA servo.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

MMp is a great esc,but MMp,Spektrum and Savox servo don't get along !! I run MMp and Savox and a 4 pole motor on my Scte 4x4 with a glitch buster and its flawless.If you run a CC BEC will be for sure to be over kill but will cure all glitghes problems.
To me,I like the MMp cuz its small,light and easy to adjust.I even sun it on my Losi 8ight paired wtih Tekin T8 1900 kv without any cap or bec and run on 4s with no issues.Get a castle link for sure...make your life a little easier !
Good luck .
Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lowe's48 View Post
MMp is a great esc,but MMp,Spektrum and Savox servo don't get along !! I run MMp and Savox and a 4 pole motor on my Scte 4x4 with a glitch buster and its flawless.If you run a CC BEC will be for sure to be over kill but will cure all glitghes problems.
To me,I like the MMp cuz its small,light and easy to adjust.I even sun it on my Losi 8ight paired wtih Tekin T8 1900 kv without any cap or bec and run on 4s with no issues.Get a castle link for sure...make your life a little easier !
Good luck .
This is really what I am thinking of doing. Running with a MMP esc and my TEKIN Redline 4.5 motor since I am NOT mating what seems to be the common problem when mating the MMP with certain manufacture accessories. I personally am not running any of the above product names and that is probably EXACTLY why I never heard or had such issues with ALL my rigs running MMM or MMP ESC's as discussed here in this thread. The ONLY time I never ran these ESC is when I run a stock TRAXXAS vxl... and even THAT! was a option to go with in my SLASH.

either way, GOOD insight and info here.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

I am currently running a MMP and tekin 550 5.5 using spektrum and savox. I have to run the BEC, but it works flawlessly set up this way and I get to choose the voltage going to my receiver without fear of it browning out. I was able to cure a sidewinder/spektrum running a hitec servo glitching issue with just the glitchbuster cap. The savox/spektrum/mmp combo demanded the BEC.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

So... this is all saying if I went with just the purchase of a new
ESC keeping the Tekin SC4X 4.5? The rx8 will be no problem plug and play and a great option while the mmp will need a bec? Is this correct?
RX8 all the way!

Plus if you want down the road, you can upgrade to a Pro4 no problem!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

BTW...as I couldn't remeber it for the life of me from my above comments...This is the servo I use to run with all of my MMM/MMP systems ~ HiTec 7955

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service