Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Anyone else miss brushed motors? >

Anyone else miss brushed motors?

Anyone else miss brushed motors?

Old 12-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Anyone else miss brushed motors?

Yeah yeah I know... but hear me out.

I realize the obvious benefits to brushless, so dont come in here bashing my thoughts.

I'm just curious if anyone else misses brushed motors like I do. I mean lets face it, once your dialed in for your track - how many changes do you really make to your car? Its pretty much set it and forget it. Ever when you change tracks, unless its a drastic change in conditions - you still aren't changing much. So I always looked forward to playing with my motors! Playing with different brushes, different cuts on the brush, different springs, just doing normal maintenance including truing up the comm - it was all a blast to me!

So am I crazy? Or are there others out there that feel the same way??
Old 12-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your not crazzzy your nuts..lol jk
Old 12-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

dude your insane.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

See a doctor.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

There still out there. You can run them if you want.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm with ya! I'd rather cut motors any day!!
Old 12-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
See a doctor.
My doctor prescribed me Fukitol. Now I don't worry about a thing.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Hell no $$ lol.

If there was only brush motors i whould run nitro still.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

lol... I guess not many people enjoy playing with things like I do. I used to have so many stock motors it was crazy. I really enjoyed it because every once in a while you used to come across one of those special motors that just made gobs of power. I remember for the Stock Rubber Nationals at Trackside on year I bought a new stock motor from one of the motor builders that no one else seemed to want. It didn't make a ton of power in the upper RPM's but down low it had a ton of grunt on the dyno so I geared the thing to the moon. Kept adding a tooth till my lap times stopped dropping then backed off a tooth. I dont remember what my gearing ended up being but when I brought it up to others the all thought I was looney!

Then again this hobby has changed A LOT in the last few years. The racing is so much different, especially in short course. Though I'm hoping that is just a product of bringing so many new people to the hobby and things will continue to improve.

We shall see I guess.

I know I can still run the brushed motors if I want to but its such a pain in the arse to get your hands on brushes and springs and what not - not to mention the motors themselves - that I just dont know that its worth it.

Im going to be starting to run 1/10th buggy again and was going to head back to the tried and true Associated camp but am mulling over the idea of running the Losi for the simple fact it will be more of a challenge. So many of the guys including a sponsored Associated guys run B4's by me that it would be as simple as being handed the setup and not changing a thing.

At least with the Losi I have option of trying to make the mid motor thing work and other different things because even the team drivers seem to think there is more left on the table with the 22. I need SOMETHING to play with if it isn't gonna be my motors!

Thanks for chiming in and keeping it civil guys!
Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

I cant say I miss it one bit. Way more track time now
Old 12-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Hell no $$ lol.

If there was only brush motors i whould run nitro still.
+1
Old 12-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

No I can't say I miss brushed motors at all . The time you used to spend on motors you now can spend on setup and practice . Plus all the money you used to waste on motors , dynos , laptops , lathes , and brushes you can now spend on other things .
Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

NO!!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I really enjoy tuning and tinkering, but I HATE brushed motors. I really like having more time to spend on chassis tuning and driving practice. To me going back to brushed would be like going back to NiCad packs.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by XMSRacing View Post
lol... I guess not many people enjoy playing with things like I do. I used to have so many stock motors it was crazy. I really enjoyed it because every once in a while you used to come across one of those special motors that just made gobs of power. I remember for the Stock Rubber Nationals at Trackside on year I bought a new stock motor from one of the motor builders that no one else seemed to want. It didn't make a ton of power in the upper RPM's but down low it had a ton of grunt on the dyno so I geared the thing to the moon. Kept adding a tooth till my lap times stopped dropping then backed off a tooth. I dont remember what my gearing ended up being but when I brought it up to others the all thought I was looney!

Then again this hobby has changed A LOT in the last few years. The racing is so much different, especially in short course. Though I'm hoping that is just a product of bringing so many new people to the hobby and things will continue to improve.

We shall see I guess.

I know I can still run the brushed motors if I want to but its such a pain in the arse to get your hands on brushes and springs and what not - not to mention the motors themselves - that I just dont know that its worth it.

Im going to be starting to run 1/10th buggy again and was going to head back to the tried and true Associated camp but am mulling over the idea of running the Losi for the simple fact it will be more of a challenge. So many of the guys including a sponsored Associated guys run B4's by me that it would be as simple as being handed the setup and not changing a thing.

At least with the Losi I have option of trying to make the mid motor thing work and other different things because even the team drivers seem to think there is more left on the table with the 22. I need SOMETHING to play with if it isn't gonna be my motors!

Thanks for chiming in and keeping it civil guys!

Theres nothing wrong with that man if you like messing with brushes and motor springs but you will save quite a bit of money going brushless and a lot more track time .

I think brushless motors have made drivers who were never that good at driving into good ones. One issue ive always had especially with stock brush motors is some people cheating especially when i raced in a touring stock class a long time ago.

Oh yea i really dont miss the PITA nicd/nimh batterys .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.