Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Durango or AE Sc10 4x4 >

Durango or AE Sc10 4x4

Durango or AE Sc10 4x4

Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Durango or AE Sc10 4x4

Good morning everyone. I'm seriously considering the purchase of a 4x4 SC. It will be used indoors at a very large carpet offroad track and in the summer it will be run outdoors on a 1/8 dirt track. I also have 1/10 scale electronics Tekin rs and 8.5 lrp.

Which Truck should I get?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Def sc10 4x4!!!!! Needs some mods to work really well, but ultimately is the better choice, plus u cant find durango parts anywhere
Old 12-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've had them all 4 (losi,ae,nexx10,durango). For me the Losi is the hands down winner. You wont be able to push the ae without traction rolling and it is hard to work on. The durango is horriable out of the box, requires a lot of option parts out of the box to make it even close to the losi in durability, and is extremly expensive. the nexx10 is as fast as the losi and the cheapest but it breaks front end parts regularly. The losi out of the box will smoke any of the other three, is by far the most durable in a crash. It will require regular diff maint., but is very easy to work on. Just my opinion.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips, I was considering the Losi, however, due to it's weight I was told I would need ro change electronis i,e, speedo and motor.

More opinions would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I had an RS pro in my SC10 4x4 with the sc4x 4.5 motor. The motor ran about 160 but my speedo never blinked more than 3 lights. I could discharge the complete 5000mah untill cutoff and the temps would be the same. (RSpro works fine in the Losi as well)

I had a durango wheeler and found that it needed $200+ worth of option parts to make it through a heat. I wasn't miffing or wrecking very hard. The sc uses the same parts, so I don't think anything would change. (You'll spend more money on this truck, compared to buying the losi and the better electronics)

Everyone that's had both the AE and Losi, say the losi is better. It handles better out of the box and requires less work to make it fast. Plus it's easier to work on.

Taking a diff out of the SC10 is a chore
Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

No matter which 4x4 SC you get a Tekin RS with an 8.5 will not be enough motor and speed control.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

i run an 8.5 in my sc10 4x4 just need an rs pro instead of an rs
Old 12-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

sc10 4x4

I currently run a RX8 with a tekin pro4 4000kv motor, love it, wouldn't change it!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=aradaiel;10052396]

Everyone that's had both the AE and Losi, say the losi is better.[QUOTE]

That is a very general statement.

While the Losi is a better handling vehicle out of the box, the AE is more tunable.

The fastest guy at our track had both and sold his Losi...
Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=jeff hughes;10052544][QUOTE=aradaiel;10052396]

Everyone that's had both the AE and Losi, say the losi is better.

That is a very general statement.

While the Losi is a better handling vehicle out of the box, the AE is more tunable.

The fastest guy at our track had both and sold his Losi...
Maybe he sold the Losi and kept the AE to give the rest of you guys a better chance?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

All are good trucks. All also handle differently and may need added parts to go fast.

The Team Durango Desc410r Tq'd and got 2nd at the Nationals and had i believe 4 out of the top 10 trucks in the A.

It's also the lightest truck out of the lot. The only required hop up part is the center diff kit, other than that nothing is required to win with the truck.

Electronics wise the Rx8 and Pro 4 are tough to beat in any of them.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
All are good trucks. All also handle differently and may need added parts to go fast.

The Team Durango Desc410r Tq'd and got 2nd at the Nationals and had i believe 4 out of the top 10 trucks in the A.

It's also the lightest truck out of the lot. The only required hop up part is the center diff kit, other than that nothing is required to win with the truck.

Electronics wise the Rx8 and Pro 4 are tough to beat in any of them.
+1

People need to understand there is some difference in vehicles that are tuned for racing. Durango is this to the extreme. Because they are pushed to the engineering limits with weight, etc., they are not made for those that are hitting pipes. It has nothing to do with making it bullet proof. The truck is worthy when kept in the race line. If you cannot stay in the race line, then it's probably not the vehicle for you. For those cases, buy the losi.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
+1

People need to understand there is some difference in vehicles that are tuned for racing. Durango is this to the extreme. Because they are pushed to the engineering limits with weight, etc., they are not made for those that are hitting pipes. It has nothing to do with making it bullet proof. The truck is worthy when kept in the race line. If you cannot stay in the race line, then it's probably not the vehicle for you. For those cases, buy the losi.
You make it sound like the Losi is a basher and the Durango is a race truck. The Losi won the nationals this year over the AE and the Durango. I know its more driver than truck but don't make it sound like the Losi is not a pure race truck, because it is.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scracer68 View Post
You make it sound like the Losi is a basher and the Durango is a race truck. The Losi won the nationals this year over the AE and the Durango. I know its more driver than truck but don't make it sound like the Losi is not a pure race truck, because it is.
Actually, Losi's pure race/competition line is at http://www.tlracing.com/Kits-Rollers/. Notice it's not found on there. Just showing the facts as to what market the losi is geared towards. I agree it can easily win and it is a very stable platform.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

We had a big race at our track this weekend. WHile the SC10 4x4 won the driver was better than the others to begin with so no real surprise. On a weekly basis though the Losi wins pretty much every week. Most guys it almost bone stock, beat it, wreck it, endo it, hit others don't seem to matter as it just keep going and winning.

We had a Dingo or two run but from what I see they are more fragile and don't like any rough driving. The other brands Associated and Losi race easily as well and far better parts support at most places. If you feel the need to be different the Dingo is for you. I think its a very cool SC if your shop deals with a place you can get parts then its even better.

I think the Losi out of the box is the easiest to drive fast and most reliable. The pure beating I see guys at our track give those things and they still run is amazing to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service