Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Durango or AE Sc10 4x4 >

Durango or AE Sc10 4x4

Durango or AE Sc10 4x4

Old 12-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The losi out of the box is really good, but the sc10 4x4 has way more potential. Durangos are good but you cant find parts, and they break, so you loose on both ends there.

If you want something good and not want to fiddle with it get a losi. If you want something that take a bit of work but has the ability to beat anything else get a sc10.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

funny, a durango vs ae thread has losi winning. i vote ae. they all need parts so if you are going to race, get the one with the best local parts support. sucks to miss a race day over a $10 part no matter what brand it is. not sure how hitting a pipe can do damage really, these things are surrounded by bumpers and a giant dome body. i bounce off pipes all day, nothing breaks.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Prophet

If you plan on racing outdoors on a 1/8 track that gets rough the losi SCTE out of box will be good for that and not to mention from exprience with losi eight platforms its much easier to take apart and tune than the SC10 4X4. When i was racing outdoor is 2011 there where two SC10 4X4 and 90% of the time the guys with the losi SCTE win on a 1/8 scale track.

The SC10 4X4 needs tuning and upgrades to handle better on a 1/8 scale track that can get rough.

The Sc10 4x4 is pretty darn good on a smooth track with techinal turns.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Id go with the Durango.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'd go with the Losi or the AE both are more durable than the Durango and less expensive and have parts support
Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It sounds like the durango is an awesome sc but w/ horrible support. That's too bad.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've had quite a few 4wd SC trucks in my short time in the hobby. Slash 4x4 (I was new)-> Hyper 10SC (Nice truck my favorite of the Ofna/Hobao's)-> Jammin SCRT10 (decent)-> Nexx 10SC (broke PBS parts every trip to the track) -> Losi SCTE.

I have to say without a doubt the Losi SCTE is the best truck I've owned and has curbed the need of swapping I had originally I gave the AE, Durango and Losi a serious look before I made my last purchase and ended up choosing the Losi because I read pretty much everywhere that the AE & Durango needed a LOT of tuning to get them where they need to be racing wise. I also looked around a lot online and found a LOT of AE 4x4's for sale used which to me isn't a very good sign for how new of a truck it is...on the flip side I couldn't find a used SCTE for sale which told me people that bought it like it and stick with it and now I can see why. Also, I did lean towards the AE at first because it was a bit cheaper, but then I found that after you added the sway bar and hexes it cost just as much as the Losi and it comes with those out of the box.

If you're worried about new electronics the Viper Copperhead system is coming out shortly and you can grab it for $150 if you don't need a sensored setup.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've own the AE and the Losi. Looked at the Durango. All of them are fast if you are a good driver. However, each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

1) Losi: By far the easiest to drive out of the box. Drop it on the track and go. Very forgiving truck and setup doesn't have to be perfect or even correct. Point and shoot driving at its finest. Can make hack drivers look fast. The quality is suspect though and it does require quite a few upgrades. It is a RTR quality vehicle. It is a mirror copy except for a longer chasses of the 810 buggy with is a basher 8th scale buggy. Durable truck but the bumpers are weak and do break because they don't flex enough. The rear bumper is the worst. Diffs leak live a seive. Plastic is crappy. Needs CF shock towers. Stock chassis bends. Shocks suck. Once you spend the $250 or so in upgrades, it is an acceptable truck for hardcore racers but don't be fooled by the low price.

2) AE: I actually have found my AE to be more durable than the Losi. The bumpers have more flex so they don't break as much. The quality of plastics and overall kit engineering is exponentially better. It isn't as hard to work on as people make it. A power hex driver is a must though. The nice thing is that 99% of the screws are 2.5mm cap heads. I find it much easier to work on than the Losi imho. It just looks intimidating, but once you figure out how it fits together it is no different than any other car. The losi just looks simple because it is an 8th scale layout.

The Losi is faster out of the box, but good drivers will be faster with the AE once it gets tuned properly. I've watched some of the very fast local hot shots and the AE seems faster and more precise in the right hands. However, you need the patience to get it there. Does require sway bars, springs, and slipper clutch upgrade. Some put on a chassis brace or get the alum Exotech chassis.

3) Durango. Nice kit and I can't comment on the handling. However, it is fragile if you aren't a very smooth driver. Definitely a racer's truck. If you can't beat a durango driver, just hope they mess up on the big double. DNF time. LOL
Old 12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Indoor the Ae and Losi are probably pretty close. Outdoor 1/8 track, there's no comparison! The weight of the losi keeps it planted on the rough stuff and big jumps. My friend races only AE products and was ready to buy the sc10 4x4, until I let him try my SCTE. He came back to me and said, there's no comparison, The Losi blew away the sc10 on the 1/8 track! I also race on a tight indoor track. I'm pretty sure the Losi SCTE has won every race there so far. And yes, most of the guys there are running the SCTE with the RX8 and Pro4 4600!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

You count out the OFNA Hyper 10sc . Its my favorite sct 4x4. It handles 1/8 track easily. Every truck needs some spares but I have only broke one piece on it. I changed motor mount for easier convince for removing motor. I only race mine but I took it out to my old motocross track and cleared a 80ft table top with a rough runway up to it. I also cleared some other big jumps cased a few slammed a few landing ls and nothing broke. There all great trucks I wanted to get a Losi but I drove one and I personally was not a fan and it is a heavy truck. I run a Novak Havoc with a Ballistic 4.5 i know a lot ppl complain about Novak but i have no issues running this combo. There's to Ae sc10 4x4 there pretty quick but I heard there a pain to work on. Just don't count out the Ofna Hyper 10sc
Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 502 (100%+)

I've had them all and sold them all too. The only one that I haven't spent too much time with is the Durango which, for straight up competition, is probably the best. Recently I've been trying to make the same decision and for my own personal use, racing for fun, I'm going to stick with the SCTE. I hate the SC10 4x4 because its hard to work on. The Durango is actually an incredibly well engineered machine and if 4X4 SC was a class that I wanted to race competitively I'd probably stick with the Durango. The Losi is durable, forgiving, and easy on the wallet. The SC10, like anything else, can be made very competitive and is functionally a good truck but there are a lot of little things about it that I detest....its durable too.

The SCTE has a lot going for it except that it used standard hardware.....that's the only downside. If your're going to run on a large 1/8 track the SCTE is the best regardless....its practically an 1/8 scale itself. Also, there's room to run an entire 1/8 motor/esc setup with a 4S battery. Its extremely versatile in that respect. I ran one with a Tekin T8 2650 on 2s geared to the moon and I loved it!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
Actually, Losi's pure race/competition line is at http://www.tlracing.com/Kits-Rollers/. Notice it's not found on there. Just showing the facts as to what market the losi is geared towards. I agree it can easily win and it is a very stable platform.
That's great, except for the TLR drivers are driving SCTE's. I also don't see a FT version of the SC10 4x4 and am fairly sure AE FT drivers are driving SC10 4x4's.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shark2288 View Post
Indoor the Ae and Losi are probably pretty close. Outdoor 1/8 track, there's no comparison! The weight of the losi keeps it planted on the rough stuff and big jumps. My friend races only AE products and was ready to buy the sc10 4x4, until I let him try my SCTE. He came back to me and said, there's no comparison, The Losi blew away the sc10 on the 1/8 track! I also race on a tight indoor track. I'm pretty sure the Losi SCTE has won every race there so far. And yes, most of the guys there are running the SCTE with the RX8 and Pro4 4600!
Its really a pure matter of opinion here- on our outdoor track (225x125) the Durangos owned everything this summer. At our Sunday Sizzler race (attended by Adam Drake and Chuck Berg (I think that's his name)) my brother TQ'd and almost lapped the field. His TQ time would have put him 4th overall in the 1/8 Nitro A-main only a handful of seconds behind The Drake, and that was with a Castle motor before the new Tekins were out. Pretty dang fast, especially considering my brother is 13.

The Durango is the least durable of the big three, but its the most tunable, the lightest, and the easiest to work on. The responsiveness is second to none as well. And anyone who has worked on, raced, or built a Durango car can tell you that the overall quality is as good or better than anyone in the industry.

Clearly my vote goes to the Durango. I've seen and driven the other trucks in the class and feel the Durango is the only choice for someone who wants to race at a high level.