Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Question regarding 17.5 SC blinky ESC's? >

Question regarding 17.5 SC blinky ESC's?

Question regarding 17.5 SC blinky ESC's?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Question regarding 17.5 SC blinky ESC's?

The local track recently announced they will be running to ROAR spec (blinky) with 17.5 SCT. We were running boosted with the same trucks.

Question is: Performance wise, are all blinky ESC's actually equal?

I have another question waiting to be asked, once I am satisfied with the answers from the first question.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

30 views and nobody has an opinion? Don't be skeerd
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lostinbaja View Post
Cant really say. Every ESC has its pros and cons. I can not talk about anything but Tekin systems cuz that is all i have ever used. When I am looking to buy a speed control for a certain type of racing, i look at the specs. If its for stock or Spec racing, I mainly go for efficientcy and internal resistance. That is why I chose Tekin. I got a Redline 17.5 with a RS Pro ESC and absolutly love it. I was a little more in price than a MMP or Novak systems. So far I have had nothing but a great time with it. Numerous wins, podiums and TQ's. And the adjustablity is top notch.
The RS Pro might be a little overkill in Blinky mode but I hear the RS is just as fast and I know it has the same adjustability. Either with the hot wire or push buttons. And its about $50 cheaper too.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by lostinbaja View Post
Hard to answer the question until we see the final ROAR rules---now, it's mostly speculation. We currently offer two sensored, escs for under 100.00 for this event: the GTB2 and our new Edge 2S.

All of our esc features are built into the controllers with no external PC, or programming card, necessary for optimum performance.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I havent used a Novak in a while. Last one I had was a Tempest II in my AE RC10T. Yeah, I know I'm old! But that thing was the best $100 I spent back then. Never fail me untill it fell in the pool
Old 12-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

from what i have seen so far speedos in "blinky" mode are about equal..I base this on my experience with a tekin and a hobby wing..one thing we have noticed is the older novak gtb's are just plain faster than a newer esc(novak, tekin,etc) in blinky.I was told by a fellow racer that this is because the older novak firmware in the GTB's has something like 12* of base timing in the firmware while the blinky esc's are at true 0*...any truth to that Novak Two??It does make sense to me seeing the performance difference on the track..
Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run a 18 dollar 35A Hobbywing system with a Viper 17.5. Has about 3 different settings. LIPO cutoff, throttle curve, run mode..

I have podium-ed numerous times at events running against some top drivers..
I like when people ask what system I am running, and show them the ugly blue thing and their jaw drops. Fun stuff for sure!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
from what i have seen so far speedos in "blinky" mode are about equal..I base this on my experience with a tekin and a hobby wing..one thing we have noticed is the older novak gtb's are just plain faster than a newer esc(novak, tekin,etc) in blinky.I was told by a fellow racer that this is because the older novak firmware in the GTB's has something like 12* of base timing in the firmware while the blinky esc's are at true 0*...any truth to that Novak Two??It does make sense to me seeing the performance difference on the track..

I race with a Novak sponsored driver and when we race bigger blinky
races he runs the older GTB ESC and blows everyone in the weeds
unless someone else shows up with a GTB.

He tells me exactly what you just said about the older GTB's also
everyone I know that has several ESC's and runs blinky mode
racing says the same thing about the older GTB's.

From what I see on the track, I agree with the facts the older GTB's
are the hot ticket in blinky 17.5 racing unless the track you race at
won't allow the older GTB's. I think it would be a little hard to detect
which ESC someone is running unless you watched closely to who is
clearing all the jumps like the mod trucks with a blinky 17.5

Good luck with that LOL"
Old 12-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Company Representative

This is the first time that I have heard that the original GTBs are faster than our current GTB2s! Our old GTBs did not have built-in timing; here is our Speed Control Spec Chart with the on resistance of all of our ESCs listed.

All of our BL GTB versions have had the same on-resistance (from the beginning), which generally relates directly to performance. The lower the OR, the higher the performance.

None of our GTBs---originals, or GTB2s---have been externally programmable, so they aren't blinky.....
Old 12-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
This is the first time that I have heard that the original GTBs are faster than our current GTB2s! Our old GTBs did not have built-in timing; here is our Speed Control Spec Chart with the on resistance of all of our ESCs listed.

All of our BL GTB versions have had the same on-resistance (from the beginning), which generally relates directly to performance. The lower the OR, the higher the performance.

None of our GTBs---originals, or GTB2s---have been externally programmable, so they aren't blinky.....
yeah i know the older stuff isnt adjustable, but there IS a difference between them and any newer esc running blinky..Even had 1 guy take his tekin in blinky mode out of his oval pan truck and put in his old gtb and changed NOTHING else and it was just stupid fast compared to the tekin in blinky.same battery, same motor ,same gearing and timing on the motor wasnt touched in the swap.it was just plain faster.more punch , and more top end.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

For all intents and purposes, they are the same. But if you run different speedos back to back, you will still see a difference in power delivery. Run a Tekin RS back to back with an LRP SXX v2, and even though their final output will feel about the same, the LRP produces a much better "feel" in its delivery...

Better delivery means better control, better control means more confidence, and more confidence means faster lap times.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

yeah i know the older stuff isnt adjustable, but there IS a difference between them and any newer esc running blinky..Even had 1 guy take his tekin in blinky mode out of his oval pan truck and put in his old gtb and changed NOTHING else and it was just stupid fast compared to the tekin in blinky.same battery, same motor ,same gearing and timing on the motor wasnt touched in the swap.it was just plain faster.more punch , and more top end.
My dad can add Timing and Boost to his RS Pro and it still does the "Blinky Blink"

***Blink pattern is different than the "Blinky mode blink"***

Last edited by So*Cal AFDude; 12-18-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude View Post
My dad can add Timing and Boost to his RS Pro and it still does the "Blinky Blink"
No it does not. This is not possible so please do not post bad info.

If your dad puts the esc into the correct timing profile which is profile 1, it will blink. If he simply removes all boost and turbo (0) it will not blink.

Proper blinky mode looks like this:

Old 12-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Company Representative

Default A trip down (GTB) Memory Lane....

After reading these comments I dug around and found links to our old GTBs and our GTB2. Here are those links to our various GTB versions:

Early GTB (4-cell version)

GTB / Lipo Cut-Off

GTB2--Current Version

All versions have the same value MOSFETs and low on-resistance. Maybe the early GTB versions, with fixed (factory pre-set) throttle profiles, allowed less "fiddling"/tuning than the new GTB2 with all its options. So, they went faster!

Wouldn't that be ironic?

Last edited by NovakTwo; 12-19-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude View Post
I run a 18 dollar 35A Hobbywing system with a Viper 17.5. Has about 3 different settings. LIPO cutoff, throttle curve, run mode..

I have podium-ed numerous times at events running against some top drivers..
I like when people ask what system I am running, and show them the ugly blue thing and their jaw drops. Fun stuff for sure!
My oldest runs a hobbywing 35 A paired with a tacon sensorless motor in mod SC and is consistantly staying in the top 5 with it with a first and a 3rd over the last few weeks..Yeah i love the jaw drop when guys realize they just got dusted by a $50 system due to being straight up outdriven..LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service