Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
$200 kit? Need some advice >

$200 kit? Need some advice

$200 kit? Need some advice

Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,664
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default $200 kit? Need some advice

Ive got a friend who is asking me for advice on an electric offroad truck she can buy her dad for christmas. She is looking for a kit, something he can build from the ground up. Thing is, i cant think of any straight up kits for $200 or less (thats the budget). All that comes to mind is RTR stuff. He would still need electronics and battery so im thinking $200 is kind of limited for a kit + eletronics and stuff. Any suggestions?
Syber Serulean is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
brent701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,590
Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
Ive got a friend who is asking me for advice on an electric offroad truck she can buy her dad for christmas. She is looking for a kit, something he can build from the ground up. Thing is, i cant think of any straight up kits for $200 or less (thats the budget). All that comes to mind is RTR stuff. He would still need electronics and battery so im thinking $200 is kind of limited for a kit + eletronics and stuff. Any suggestions?
Buy used. Take it all apart. Stick the parts in little bags. Put it all in a large box with some instructions and there ya go

it's going to be hard with only 200 bucks to spend
brent701 is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,664
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
Buy used. Take it all apart. Stick the parts in little bags. Put it all in a large box with some instructions and there ya go

it's going to be hard with only 200 bucks to spend
I think im gonna do something similar, but rather with a rustler RTR. Its within budget, has everything. Ill tell my friend's boyfriend (also a friend) who is very mechnaically inclined to take it apart before giving it as a gift haha.
Syber Serulean is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
  #4  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,366
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

What type of vehicle and for what purpose. Tamiya has a ton of kits you could find for under $200...vehicle only of course...

You can find RTR radio systems that people pull out REALLY cheap...I've sold Traxxas RTR 27mhz radios w/receivers for as little as $10....Basic charges and simple nimh batts can be had for little to nothing as well. A local track and or hobby shop should be able to help with this..if you can get them past trying to sell you their new stuff.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 PM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Havasu AZ
Posts: 1,143
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
I think im gonna do something similar, but rather with a rustler RTR. Its within budget, has everything. Ill tell my friend's boyfriend (also a friend) who is very mechnaically inclined to take it apart before giving it as a gift haha.

Your idea is fine (only) if the father wants a beater for bashing around the
yard. If he wants a race car for (racing) he will be very disappointed with a
rustler RTR.

For racing you would be better off telling your friend.

(A) Go to the local R/C hobby shop and get a $200.00 Gift certificate,
that way he can add his own money to get what he really wants..

(B) buy a good motor & ESC give it to him telling him it's a start for
his new race car he wants.

(C) look for a great online deal on a good new (race) quality (race) car
kit and give him that telling him it's a start for him to go racing.

and if all else fails you can give your friend no help and just stay out
of it all together. (which might be your best way out of this)

Good luck what ever you choose to do... Merry Xmas"
Chuck 21 is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 09:10 AM
  #6  
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,004
Default

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
Ive got a friend who is asking me for advice on an electric offroad truck she can buy her dad for christmas. She is looking for a kit, something he can build from the ground up. Thing is, i cant think of any straight up kits for $200 or less (thats the budget). All that comes to mind is RTR stuff. He would still need electronics and battery so im thinking $200 is kind of limited for a kit + eletronics and stuff. Any suggestions?
Team Associated RC18 B2/T2 Kit at Tower

Team Associated RC18 B2/T2 Kit - AE website

It can be built as a Buggy or Truck.
Rick Hohwart is offline  
Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM
  #7  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 35
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I've got a rustler vxl for sale.
Aussie_Rust is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.