Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
ROAR Rule Book or Just Suggestions? >

ROAR Rule Book or Just Suggestions?

ROAR Rule Book or Just Suggestions?

Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've seen sets of slicks that were used upwards of 6 YEARS on indoor clay tracks. When I got rid of my AE stuff, my buggy slicks were 4 years old, and the only reason I made a new set of truck slicks after 3 years is because there wasn't any bead left from refoaming them so many times. Now that we have molded foam, we don't even have to worry about that anymore.

Slicks aren't the best tire in most places, but some tracks like my local track they are the only tire if you want to be able to get around the track with any kind of grip.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

this is just getting ridiculous. his excuses are too funny. comparing a street car w/bald tires to a RACING rc buggy w/soft sticky slick tires. give me a break.

i understand the safety aspect of it, but when was the last time you saw someone having a hard time on slicks trying to drive it around the track for 6 minutes? it's a waste of time. you come back to the pit and try something else.

honestly i don't see the hassle of running a slick tire. or is it because you guys want the buggies to look "presentable" for the race weekend? and not like a cadillac in a hillbilly demolition derby with a huge 3 painted on the side? i think i just figured it out.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
I've seen sets of slicks that were used upwards of 6 YEARS on indoor clay tracks. When I got rid of my AE stuff, my buggy slicks were 4 years old, and the only reason I made a new set of truck slicks after 3 years is because there wasn't any bead left from refoaming them so many times. Now that we have molded foam, we don't even have to worry about that anymore.

Slicks aren't the best tire in most places, but some tracks like my local track they are the only tire if you want to be able to get around the track with any kind of grip.

I have quite a bit of experience with slicks and they do wear out and start to fold over then selves , a firmer insert will not help ..

slick tires stretch and wear thin, then they fold over with a loud slap when accelerating...
They only last 3 to 4 races before they begin to slow down and need replacement......

The best slick is a new tire that's been ground down smooth & a new insert .

just a speed tip from me

my point ?

slicks do wear out & don't last forever
Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I have quite a bit of experience with slicks and they do wear out and start to fold over then selves , a firmer insert will not help ..

slick tires stretch and wear thin, then they fold over with a loud slap when accelerating...
They only last 3 to 4 races before they begin to slow down and need replacement......

just a speed tip from me

my point ?

which could be 2-3 races longer than a "legal" tire per this new rule.

I see this rule as making some tires at some tracks a "one run and done" no cost savings there...

can't get an answer about ghosted tires after a couple days....I don't see this being off to a good start....

again I've never been a ROAR hater, I respect what they do for racing in the hobby but this rule is a fail.

Ban slicks, that would make one Panther tire illegal, who cares. Weather I grind the tread off, ghost it, or if I take 10 min. to burn it off in the parking lot. If the sidewall has Losi BK Bar, or whatever on the side that's the tire it is, tread or no tread....tech done.

all imo..
Old 12-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
What are the odds that "new" racer is a ROAR member? Pretty small, so guess what they are going to have added costs for a ROAR race anyway, (weekend membership fee). Attending any "big race" is expensive, unless you're local, at which point you have an advantage already. You know what tire works, if a track has the grip to run slicks I don't see it as some big secret that gets out when the "Pros" show up. After all the expense of traveling to a race, hotel, gas, entry fees, food, etc. I don't see a set of tires as a make or break cost factor.

Cost aside you've yet to answer the question about "ghosted" tires...

My issue with the rule is that it leaves things open to interpretation....good luck with that.
A big race, you'll have more traffic on the track, changing the surface. Also, it may be at a completely different time of day than normal.

A good example is ThunderbirdJunkie's local outdoor track. Normally, pretty much anything with a decent size pin is going to work (Bigshots, Enduros, Calibers). We race at night.

Then there was a pretty big daytime race, and the race director opted to sweep the track and not water it.

Suddenly we were running on a grooved up Holeshots/BK bars track, and not a Calibers/Bigshots track.

So, it makes complete sense, especially considering how many tracks out west water between rounds, and ROAR stating that track maintenance is not allowed during an event.

Yes, a big ROAR event costs a lot of money to enter. You don't need to make it worse for the locals, many of whom are attending a big event for the first time. If you're traveling and staying in a hotel, chances are pretty good you're also prepared to drop an extra $100 on tires just to see what works.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Yes this discussion is getting out of hand.

To help this thread die (or get worse from the non ROAR member/haters) as Region 12 director I will NOT allow slicks or ghost pins at any of the ROAR off road events in my region. There will be a minimum tread depth though it may be very minute it will be in place. Those details I will work out with those higher up than I at ROAR.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

To help this thread die (or get worse from the non ROAR member/haters) as Region 12 director I will NOT allow slicks or ghost pins at any of the ROAR off road events in my region. There will be a minimum tread depth though it may be very minute it will be in place. Those details I will work out with those higher up than I at ROAR.
G , I have raced a few Roar events with slicks and it all went just find , so why now do you need to make a change ?

I know your real answer ...

cus you only care about making racers buy even more tires to run in Roar events ..

Its not even about keeping the racing fair , not even about making the racing less expensive...

Its just about tire manufactures and local track
owner's profit margin ....

Go fool yo selves...

That's it..
Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

G , I have raced a few Roar events with slicks and it all went just find , so why now do you need to make a change ?

I know your real answer ...

cus you only care about making racers buy even more tires to run in Roar events ..

Its not even about keeping the racing fair , not even about making the racing less expensive...

Its just about tire manufactures and local track
owner's profit margin ....

Go fool yo selves...

That's it..
Aren't you always preaching to support your LHS and buy stuff from them? Tires is one of the main money makers ( not the only one ) for the tracks that have stores in them.

Last edited by PFKAOG; 12-16-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
Are you always preaching to support your LHS and buy stuff from them? Tires is one of the main money makers ( not the only one ) for the tracks that have stores in them.
I do support local tracks.....

I don't support making a racer buy another set of tires when slicks are the prefer working tire on the track at the event, just cus somebody will not sell even more tires ..

If a hosting track has issues with slicks ?
They should not sweep , not water or water more what ever it takes for slicks to stop working and threads to preform better.

Not make racers spend even more on stupid tires.....
Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No one makes anyone buy anything. Figure out what works and use it. If someone finds out a slick tire works best and you aren't running slicks, it's because you didn't find the best solution. Tires are cheap. I remember as a kid in the mid 80's when my weekly lawn mowing budget of $15 had to keep everything running and had to pay for all my parts and racing. In many ways RC was more expensive back then. Go buy another set of tires.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

just a speed tip from me

my point ?

I'm not sure where you're racing, but at our track slicks take about 4-6 weeks to even break in correctly for use and they only get better as you keep using them as long as you keep fresh foams in them. If it gets to the point where you have a thin sidewall or carcass then you ground it way too low - you want to just remove the pins and get just underneath the glaze that's left on the carcass from the mold.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

To help this thread die (or get worse from the non ROAR member/haters) as Region 12 director I will NOT allow slicks or ghost pins at any of the ROAR off road events in my region.
You made the right call.

[sarcasm]BTW, don't you sell tires? Don't you like money? Didn't making this decision go against your best interests (abiet small)? What the heck is wrong with you, man?[/sarcasm]
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why is it illegal to drive with slicks on public roads?

Is it because laws are written by the tire manufacturers so the public will spend more money on tires? No. It it because there are only a hand full of good enough drivers that can drive on worn down tires and the majority of the driving public cannot and thus is in place for their safety? Yes.
Slicks are not allowed on public roads because of the conditions. They are only dangerous in the rain, snow or if there is gravel over the road. When those conditions don't prevail slicks offer better traction and would actually be safer!

The conditions can't be controlled well enough on public roads to allow those types of tyres, but weekend racers know slicks are the ticket for going fast at the track.

Your analogy is not relevant for racing.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

It's relevant if you read and understand the whole post.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

You must have a different ROAR BY-LAW book than I do, because in mine only EXEC-COMM can change the ROAR Rule Book. Your just a Regional Director with no voting rights on the ROAR Executive Committee that sets the rules in ROAR.

Last edited by SoCalMitch; 12-17-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.