Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The Tamiya Hornet is back! >

The Tamiya Hornet is back!

The Tamiya Hornet is back!

Old 12-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation The Tamiya Hornet is back!

Looks they are going to re-release the old kit.

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...rnet/index.htm
Old 12-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

My little bro had one of those!
Maybe I can dig it out of my parents basement and put a BL in it, should tear the rear end clean off!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Another piece of poo from Tamiya!

Why dont they just make a competitive racing 2WD buggy?

I have seen a SuperHornet go and to tell you the truth i was impressed with its speed coming from a 540 silver can motor
Old 12-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If Tamiya put as much effort as they do into re-designing the EVO and crankin' out touring cars....into a competitive based off road kit.....they'd be a major contender.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Well for nostalgic purposes it's great that they are releasing it.... Maybe a new generation of kids will get a taste of what it was like when some of us had it back in the 80's! I'm sure collectors will jump on it as well!

Yeah, it's too bad Tamiya just won't commit to designing and producing a top class 2WD or 4WD Off-Roader. I know less cash is made in the racing market as compared to the entry level/basher market.... but Tamiya has more resources than most R/C companies put together! You would think they would want to be competetive in Off-Road the way they are in On-Road! Off-Road is what got them there and really put them on the R/C map! They could even hire some of the Best racers in the world if they chose to!

I guess they are content with producing entry level mediocre Off-Roaders... and revived display queens for some of us.....
Old 12-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Team Duratrax
Another piece of poo from Tamiya!

Why dont they just make a competitive racing 2WD buggy?

I have seen a SuperHornet go and to tell you the truth i was impressed with its speed coming from a 540 silver can motor
How can you say this about Tamiya? Tamiya was around befor DuraTraxx was even a gleem. Sure Tamiya used 3 things to do what most would use one thing, to make something work. It does not mean its JUNK! I remeber racing these before the damn RC-10, they held up well. It is hard to find a Tamiya Kit that is junk. Anyone can pick one up, Build it, and have lots of fun with it. Todays Tamiya KITS are far better than Most RTR's on the market. The plastic used is way better, The way the parts fit and go together are better.....
Old 12-13-2004, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

Really though, I had a few Tamiya models back in the day, (Blackfoot, Midnight Pumpkin, FX10 which was a striker) and the only trouble I had was that the plastic wasn't really that tough.
It was pretty easy to break the hard type plastic for the audience they were shooting for. Was some great memories though
Old 12-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

My first RC car was a World Engines Rockbuster, which was a direct copy of the Tamiya Grasshopper except for the tires. In my experience with RC cars, which spans almost 20 years, I have NEVER had as much fun as I used to have running that old car. It was an absolute blast.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow - I had one of those. Boy did I hate the MSC and the resistor off the back of that thing. I broke a lot of parts. Eventually I took parts off it and made my own lexan chassis with a suspension design for the front that sorta looks like Josh Cyrul's in his CEFX. No springs, just bend plastic. In 1991 when I was in 10th grade, I bought my first Futaba ESC. I think the thing was 150 bucks back than (How did I ever afford that one??) and huge compared to today's standards. I believe Tekin and the RC-10 were just starting to emerge.

Ahh...the memories. I'd love to put a 8x1 in the hornet. LOL
Old 12-13-2004, 03:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Wow, talk about a blast from the past! I'll be first in line to get one!
Old 12-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ahhh, my first true love is back, I was twelve at the time. Took it off rooftops, truck beds, made it jump insane ramps and it always kept comming back for more. I ran it sooo much that I'd wear the hex end of the shafts out in the gear diff, and wore out the front a-arms that simply pivoted on the plastic frame itself. Parts were cheep, tires lasted a long time.... those were the good ol days! Now, if they would re-release the Fox and Boomerang (the car's I envied at that time) I'd think about buying one of each.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Smile

Sweet!

Now, if they'd only re-release the Lancia Rally (based on the Frog chassis), I'd be all set!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hornet

Im new to your forum, and read most of the comments on the hornet..Speaking from experiance, this is by far, the best entry level kit ever sold! I bought mine some where around 82-84, and i just finished turning spikes into slicks in a couple of weeks..When i bought this, I ran it for a couple of years with the stock motor and plastic bearings..After buying the optional 540 motor and real bearing hop -up kit in 85, it still runs great, and their are plenty of cheap parts available on e-bay..Aside from normal wear and tear from your beer drinking buddies slamming into curbs full throttle, and all the neighborhood kids having a go at it, the only problem iv'e had is with the battery box lid coming off at high speed jumps...Nothing a self tapping screw could'nt fix.Neddless to say , i will definitely buy one of these kits if their anything like the originals...
Old 12-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

These kits bring back some awesome memories for me too. RC10s were pretty new and high dollar (about 1986). My cousin picked up a Frog and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. My dream car was the Kyosho Optima though!

Around 90/91 I got a JRX2 from then team driver Dennis Taylor as a bday present. I didnt know it at the time but it was a proto type JRX Pro that wouldnt come out for over a year and had been run at all the big races. I remember going into the LHS trying to get a diff gear and the guy at the shop told me it wasnt a Losi part. At this time Losi was drilling the diff gear to accept a ball bearing.

In 91 I picked up a Subaru Brat and had a blast with it (friends father had it in the basement collecting dust). I tossed a Twister (anyone remember those ) mod motor in there and it was a rocket, like most of the cars based on that platform I rosted the diff and hex drives numberous times along with at least 3 chassis'. The aluminum skid plate would hold them together great though lol.

I'd buy one of these again. Oh, I noticed the FX10 was listed up there, almost positive that was a Futaba car. The rear end sucked on it, pivoted on a plastic ball. Friend had one, ran it for 2 mins before that pivot broke.

Oh hell, just remembered my first car! It was a Pandamonium lol. I had a Futaba Attack 2 stick radio and a B&M Juice Machine charger. I ran that car until the back tires were so thin the came apart! Mechanical speedo in it caught on fire once in the middle of the street, put it out real quick and kept on running it lol.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

the olden days...roflmao. Remeber the first Novak electronic speed control.....ahahhaah

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.