Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What 4x4 SCT ? Advice >

What 4x4 SCT ? Advice

What 4x4 SCT ? Advice

Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile What 4x4 SCT ? Advice

Im looking to get a short course this will be my first one..I'm looking to get a 4x4 that don't take saddle pack batts.. What are good ones? Brands..I want something that's durable..will be mostly a track use not bashing

Also what do I look for as in upgrades or stock up on parts that break easy/weak spots..and parts that most local hobby carry I don't want to be waiting days for order parts..I'm in San Diego btw..

I have a mmp with a 3800kv mamba..im looking to get a better motor later on I just want it up and running and set it up..what motor is good?
And what pinion does this SCT take mod1? Because I have couple gears I use for my truggy and it's my only 1/10 truck..

Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by ohhhwee View Post

Im looking to get a short course this will be my first one..I'm looking to get a 4x4 that don't take saddle pack batts.. What are good ones? Brands..I want something that's durable..will be mostly a track use not bashing

Also what do I look for as in upgrades or stock up on parts that break easy/weak spots..and parts that most local hobby carry I don't want to be waiting days for order parts..I'm in San Diego btw..

I have a mmp with a 3800kv mamba..im looking to get a better motor later on I just want it up and running and set it up..what motor is good?
And what pinion does this SCT take mod1? Because I have couple gears I use for my truggy and it's my only 1/10 truck..

Thanks

scte and yes is take mod 1.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I just went through this decision process and I'm very happy w/ my choice. I considered the SCTE heavily b/c out of the box it rocks. But I knew I'd want to reduce its weight and upgrade its components. For me it came down to cost. By the time you upgraded the losi w/ chassis, tuning kit, etc, etc, you essentially had a durango. But the durango takes saddle packs so that was a show stopper for me otherwise I would have gotten one for sure. BTW I order all of my parts so I didn't care if my lhs had them.

I tried to consider the sc10 4x4 b/c I can get one at a great price. But it seems difficult to work on and there's too many modification that have to happen just to get it up to par w/ the scte. But I do like it for its uniqueness.

In the end I went w/ a LCG slash 4x4. Not conventional but it is just as light if not lighter than the durango but w/ traxxas durability. I can run a smaller motor and smaller batteries and not be concerned about runtime or heat. The final cost for all of these seems to be about same once add all the mods. The lcg slash 4x4 handles amazingly well and I'm very happy with.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

These should help.....http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...x4-thread.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ck-thread.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...x4-thread.html

Youd be amazed how much info you get by using the forums search functions.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
I just went through this decision process and I'm very happy w/ my choice. I considered the SCTE heavily b/c out of the box it rocks. But I knew I'd want to reduce its weight and upgrade its components. For me it came down to cost. By the time you upgraded the losi w/ chassis, tuning kit, etc, etc, you essentially had a durango. But the durango takes saddle packs so that was a show stopper for me otherwise I would have gotten one for sure. BTW I order all of my parts so I didn't care if my lhs had them.

I tried to consider the sc10 4x4 b/c I can get one at a great price. But it seems difficult to work on and there's too many modification that have to happen just to get it up to par w/ the scte. But I do like it for its uniqueness.

In the end I went w/ a LCG slash 4x4. Not conventional but it is just as light if not lighter than the durango but w/ traxxas durability. I can run a smaller motor and smaller batteries and not be concerned about runtime or heat. The final cost for all of these seems to be about same once add all the mods. The lcg slash 4x4 handles amazingly well and I'm very happy with.

Good luck.
"traxxas durability". my slash 4x4 broke way more parts than my SCTE ever has and i've raced my SCTE 10X more than i did my slash 4x4.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Get the Losi SCTe and be happy
Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys well I narrowed it doWn to losi or the ofna..not a fan of belts..and I had other traxxas trucks before so yeah I'm leaning toasted the losi more..

Is it ok to run 500 3800kv mamba on it for now? I see 550 is recommend but I just want to get up and running for now..what 550 motors are good?

Thanks guys..
Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

get the losi and a tekin 4600 or else get hacked by one.......
Old 11-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Prophet

How is that ofna nexxt sc truck it looks pretty good the price is very good ?

I want to be diffrent so no losi scte or sc10 4x4 .
Old 11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ohhhwee View Post
Thanks guys well I narrowed it doWn to losi or the ofna..not a fan of belts..and I had other traxxas trucks before so yeah I'm leaning toasted the losi more..

Is it ok to run 500 3800kv mamba on it for now? I see 550 is recommend but I just want to get up and running for now..what 550 motors are good?

Thanks guys..
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ck-thread.html

troll that thread and you'll find a ton of esc/motor combinations
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Nexx10 is a very good truck and its easy to set up and gear without much worry about overheating or tearing up esc/motors. Losi is a very good truck as is the hyper10sc. Rough 1/8th scale track I would go losi, hyper then the with them all still being close 1/10 scale track or indoors I would go Nexx10 with the basic Bradley set up. T Bone bumper and graphite rear shock tower would be my only suggested needed mods. Losi is good too but if you run longer mains and a newb to gearing the www.nitrohouse.com nexx10/novak combo is an excellent buy.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
The Nexx10 is a very good truck and its easy to set up and gear without much worry about overheating or tearing up esc/motors. Losi is a very good truck as is the hyper10sc. Rough 1/8th scale track I would go losi, hyper then the with them all still being close 1/10 scale track or indoors I would go Nexx10 with the basic Bradley set up. T Bone bumper and graphite rear shock tower would be my only suggested needed mods. Losi is good too but if you run longer mains and a newb to gearing the www.nitrohouse.com nexx10/novak combo is an excellent buy.

Oh thats good ! i whould want to run it outdoors also on a rough track why isnt the nexxt good on a rough outdoor track? Cant it be set up for it ?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cesar676 View Post
Get the Losi SCTe and be happy
+1, great out of the box! Can be made even better with upgrades!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Hyper 10SC is very fast on rough outdoor tracks, I think the nose heavy layout helps with this. They're also a lot lighter than an SCTE, mine screams with just a Sidewinder SCT/3800 combo and a Gens 40c battery. As long as you don't mind ordering parts online, it's a great truck that can run with any of the best.

I also enjoy hearing people at my local track say, "What's an Ofna?"
Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by SLODRIVE View Post
The Hyper 10SC is very fast on rough outdoor tracks, I think the nose heavy layout helps with this. They're also a lot lighter than an SCTE, mine screams with just a Sidewinder SCT/3800 combo and a Gens 40c battery. As long as you don't mind ordering parts online, it's a great truck that can run with any of the best.

I also enjoy hearing people at my local track say, "What's an Ofna?"

Hum i did see the hyper10 sc bump edition its a eye catcher man and at $269 il think about it but i still like the nexxt 10 because of the price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.