Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SC10 is making loud grinding noise when I make hard rights. >

SC10 is making loud grinding noise when I make hard rights.

SC10 is making loud grinding noise when I make hard rights.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy SC10 is making loud grinding noise when I make hard rights.

After reinstalling a new ESC and Motor in my SC10, things are running mostly great, I just have one issue where there is a "grinding" (or fast loud clicking) noise coming from somewhere in the Motor/Transmission/rear area, but only when I am making a hard right and the backend is rolling hard to the left. Doing the same turn going the opposite direction does not make the noise.

I set the Gear Mesh (Spur and Pinion) and Slipper Clutch according to the manual. I don't see and visible damage/wear on either gear.

Is this something anyone else has experienced before? Any help with this would be great!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pwntology View Post
After reinstalling a new ESC and Motor in my SC10, things are running mostly great, I just have one issue where there is a "grinding" (or fast loud clicking) noise coming from somewhere in the Motor/Transmission/rear area, but only when I am making a hard right and the backend is rolling hard to the left. Doing the same turn going the opposite direction does not make the noise.

I set the Gear Mesh (Spur and Pinion) and Slipper Clutch according to the manual. I don't see and visible damage/wear on either gear.

Is this something anyone else has experienced before? Any help with this would be great!
are you running rpm rear arms?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

You may want to try asking this in the sc10 thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...10-thread.html
Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
are you running rpm rear arms?
No, I still just have the stock arms.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A friend at the track was having the same problem, turned out to be the gear diff going bad. He put in a new diff and no more noise.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Also check the drive cups on the diff to make sure they don't have a groove cut in them from the axle, my t4 started clicking on turns and after a few races it snapped the cvd. I put a new cvd in and new drive cups and it was good to go. I would check the cups first and if there ok I would pull the diff and get a new one.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Initiate

I just popped off the Right Dogbone and found that the O-Ring that goes between the Dogbone and the Gear Diff Outdrive (cup) is missing. It looks like this is allowing the Dogbone to travel to far in toward the diff, which means it's almost falling out on the Axle side. I am hoping the noise is coming from the end of the Dogbone rubbing on the Arm. I will pick up new O-Rings tonight and let you know how it goes.