Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RcMonster RC8T chassis

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Default RcMonster RC8T chassis

Has anybody tried this chassis out it looks really good and balanced it says its lightweight whould it make the RC8Tce converted to electric to light ?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I used it when I converted my RC8T . I liked it a lot at the time but noticed that I was bending the stock alloy tubes when using it. I went with some machined braces and never had an issue after that. You could also try the composite braces they may work better than the tubes actually.

Unless the design has changed, the only other thing that I was too big on, and it was really minor was the motor mount as in a truggy on a hard enough impact I could see it getting tweaked. I actually was considering having him make me a mount that bolted to the chassis in 3 places (the diff area and on the end) to have it more secure.

Keep in mind however, I didn't have any bending issues there, just could see it possibly happening on a really hard impact.

His conversion was one of the nicest I have had other than my Tekno one I have now.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Cain
I used it when I converted my RC8T . I liked it a lot at the time but noticed that I was bending the stock alloy tubes when using it. I went with some machined braces and never had an issue after that. You could also try the composite braces they may work better than the tubes actually.

Unless the design has changed, the only other thing that I was too big on, and it was really minor was the motor mount as in a truggy on a hard enough impact I could see it getting tweaked. I actually was considering having him make me a mount that bolted to the chassis in 3 places (the diff area and on the end) to have it more secure.

Keep in mind however, I didn't have any bending issues there, just could see it possibly happening on a really hard impact.

His conversion was one of the nicest I have had other than my Tekno one I have now.

Ok thanks yea i use composite chassis braces so that shouldnt be a issue so your saying on hard impacts the motor mount whould bend ? Is there any other motor mounts you can fit on it ?

How much lighter was your RC8T ? Was there a big diffrence in handling/balance ?

I know it has a straight direct drive ?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Legend

No. what I am saying is that I can see if on a hard enough impact, the possibility at least in my opinion exists for it to bend, assuming the design is the same. Keep in mind however, I've had enough force on my RC8T conversion to taco the rods and the mount didn't get damaged.

As far as other mounts, I would check on the Rc-Monster board and see if anyone mounted up another mount to see if they fit. I think they will since the mount takes the place of one of the center diff holders from the RC8T. But, you need to confirm this to be sure. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.

As for the weight, I didn't have weight to really compare it to, conversion to conversion as I bought the RC8T as a roller and made it into an electric right away. It felt very nimble however. This was using a heavy for the time PolyRC 6000mah 4S battery pack with the Castle 2200Kv setup.

I would say that compared to a straight battery box conversion I was using on my RC8 that used the stock chassis, it was definitely more balanced.

Another option that I would recommend based on the quality I am seeing from my current conversion is the Tekno V4 RC8T conversion. Pricewise it looks very similar, but you also get the following added features:

- Option to run mechanical brakes
- Option to run either the motor forward long shank setup OR standard pinions
- Driveline is pretty straight.
- Very narrow design
- Traktion drive option or nitro style clutch setup

This was one of the reasons I went with a Tekno conversion for my buggy as I wanted to have those options to try, also, the V4 conversions are much narrower than the V3's.

Good luck on your choice, I think you would be happy with either one.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Prophet

No. what I am saying is that I can see if on a hard enough impact, the possibility at least in my opinion exists for it to bend, assuming the design is the same. Keep in mind however, I've had enough force on my RC8T conversion to taco the rods and the mount didn't get damaged.

As far as other mounts, I would check on the Rc-Monster board and see if anyone mounted up another mount to see if they fit. I think they will since the mount takes the place of one of the center diff holders from the RC8T. But, you need to confirm this to be sure. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.

As for the weight, I didn't have weight to really compare it to, conversion to conversion as I bought the RC8T as a roller and made it into an electric right away. It felt very nimble however. This was using a heavy for the time PolyRC 6000mah 4S battery pack with the Castle 2200Kv setup.

I would say that compared to a straight battery box conversion I was using on my RC8 that used the stock chassis, it was definitely more balanced.

Another option that I would recommend based on the quality I am seeing from my current conversion is the Tekno V4 RC8T conversion. Pricewise it looks very similar, but you also get the following added features:

- Option to run mechanical brakes
- Option to run either the motor forward long shank setup OR standard pinions
- Driveline is pretty straight.
- Very narrow design
- Traktion drive option or nitro style clutch setup

This was one of the reasons I went with a Tekno conversion for my buggy as I wanted to have those options to try, also, the V4 conversions are much narrower than the V3's.

Good luck on your choice, I think you would be happy with either one.

Ok makes since thanks il take a look at the tecko kit also.
Im planning on getting it around chrismas time.

With the RcMonster chassis since you said its more nimble did it make it harder to drive ?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Legend

It actually made it, at least comparing it to my other conversion, easier to drive as you didn't have this brick of a battery hanging off the chassis as much.

Here is a link to the tekno stuff:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C8-42mm-Motors

You should also look into the Tekno thread on this site as there is a lot of good info there.

Both brands are good stuff.

Another good site to use:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

use this to determine what kind of pinions you need for the given battery and motor setup you choose. If you need help on using that feel free to let me know. You will want to shoot for about 40 mph top speed. this is a good place to start gearing.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Prophet

It actually made it, at least comparing it to my other conversion, easier to drive as you didn't have this brick of a battery hanging off the chassis as much.

Here is a link to the tekno stuff:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C8-42mm-Motors

You should also look into the Tekno thread on this site as there is a lot of good info there.

Both brands are good stuff.

Another good site to use:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

use this to determine what kind of pinions you need for the given battery and motor setup you choose. If you need help on using that feel free to let me know. You will want to shoot for about 40 mph top speed. this is a good place to start gearing.

Ok well the tecko kit is cheaper il still take a look at it.
Omg i am looking for a more balance chassis the "stock RC8T chassis" it runs nothing like when i ran it as nitro not nearly as balaced.

Il be honest i dont know how fast my truggy is.

Last edited by tc5 man; 11-07-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Legend

You being a former nitro guy you may actually like the Tekno conversion as you have the option to run a clutch setup just like a nitro vehicle, also the mechanical brakes may appeal to you too.

The tekno runs about the same as the RC Monster, though, if you do the clutch setup you pay a bit more as that is about $40 or so and you need your own clutchbells which from your nitro days you probably already have.

Here is the item I am referring to:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Clutch-System

If you use pinions though, you don't need this stuff.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Yea i heard about you can use the mechancal brake with the tekco kit not sure though if i whould want to mess with a extra servo and clutch though so i whould likely do direct drive.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

That kit looks very well made and from people who ran them they had no issues. I currently have the stock RC8T chassis, Tekno V3 kit, and a Tekno V4 kit. The V4 is better balanced but has a lot more flex in the chassis. To some people that may be better because of more tuning options but for me I don't like it. The rear end flexes a little to much for me so the V3 for me is better. I'm in the process of making a rear brace that is longer for it so the flex should be better. IMO, Tekno's customer service is hands down one of the best if not the best out there. They are located in San Diego which is 30 minutes away from me and any issues I have they fix/replace it the next day. Take that into consideration when you choose one. I also have heard Mike from RC Monster is great as well but I have never dealt with him.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Legend

here is a link so you can see what a finished rc8t tekno conversion looks like

http://www.rctech.net/forum/9883023-post7793.html
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Prophet

I like the layout on it but is there anyway to move the esc its pretty close off the side on the truck ?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Legend

If you don't plan to use braking hardware, you could mount it to the other side I believe. If the overhang is anything like my D8, not much of the ESC is exposed on that plate that hangs over the chassis.