Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCers owe it to these guys.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for sharing the videos. That brings back some great memories. I started racing in 1987 with a Tamiya Fox. Everyone has touched on it already- gearing for run time (to avoid the dreaded "dumping"), real dirt tracks that were fast with rolling jumps, charging batteries from the car battery and the obligatory tackle box for tools and parts. In fact, some of the more hardcore racers brought their chargers to the start line to be as "peaked" as possible. Oh, to be 15 again....

The shirtless and shoeless turn marshall was something. That would not fly with today's standards.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Actually, they were the same yellow but one had blue lettering while the other had black lettering. I fried an SCE in my backpack that was pretty much brand new; hadnt put connectors on it yet and the leads shorted out. I was so bummed; it burned a hole through my bag lol. Oh the life of a 13 year old racer on a shoe string budget.

I started with a 2 stick Attack and a Futaba speed control (210 I believe it was). Actually, now that I think about it, I ran the stock manual 3 speed controller in the Panda and bought the Futaba shortly after getting the JrX2 (tried to rig up the manual to the Losi but couldnt find a way to make it work half decent). Cant remember what I did now but I fried the BEC on the receiver and replaced it with a Novak micro that I used up until about 2001 (originally purchased in '89 or so)! The Futaba ESC didnt make it too much longer and it was replaced with a T4 (wanted a T1 but they were way out of my allowance sized budget lol). When the SCRs came out I thought it was about as good as it could get. Those puppies matched up with the B&R Bullet made my 2wd stock buggy a rocket and the just released Magnum Jr was amazing to drive with! Guess the buggy wasnt really stock though; it was basically a JrX Pro prototype that I got from then Losi driver Dennis Taylor (he worked with my aunt). I remember walking into Busy Bee hobbies in San Bernardino CA looking for a diff gear. The replacement they handed me seemed to be a little bit different that what I was holding in my hand... At the time, Losi drivers were drilling out the diff gear to install another bearing. I showed it to the guy working the counter and he told me, "that isnt from a Losi." I replied, "uh, yea, just pulled it out of my JrX2 about 30 minutes ago!" Dennis sent one out in the mail the next day and I was back on track at Outlaw Hobbies in Highland a week later. He actually hooked me up with a number of parts including my first charger, a B&M Juice Machine. So many good memories; actually, at the time, they seemed more like life ending events like a broken chassis (~$100 for a replacement on a $5/week allowance seemed like the end of the world) dead batteries, speed controls, receivers, etc lol. All good lessons though, I never hurt another ESC or receiver again.
Ah more memories! DT (Dennis Taylor) was definitely fast in the day. He and his Son are now living in Texas and are into Gaming ( Madden football guru's!)
Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Ah more memories! DT (Dennis Taylor) was definitely fast in the day. He and his Son are now living in Texas and are into Gaming ( Madden football guru's!)
Good to hear; he was a good guy and I probably wouldnt of stuck with the hobby if it werent for the items he helped me out with back then. Did you race under your actual name at The Ranch? I used Double A back then (probably '92 until they closed). I miss all those guys (Marcus, Steve, Alan the good ball lol).
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ahh flashbacks.
Me, my Grandpa and a box of parts, AKA; Tamiya Hornet.
Mechanical speed controls and discharging nicads.
The smell of lithium grease and knowing that Break Away Raceway and MNM were right up the street.
This hobby has sure brought me alot of enjoyment....
Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

I dont remember Break Away but ran M&M occasionally.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

All three A-mains all the way through the E-main are up on http://www.vintagerccars.com in the VIDEOS section in case someone wants to see them all in one place. There will be more coming, too, as I get time to render the videos out.

doug
Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I dont miss the batteries or the motors from back in the day. I do miss the Octa grab tires and the three piece wheels
Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Good to hear; he was a good guy and I probably wouldnt of stuck with the hobby if it werent for the items he helped me out with back then. Did you race under your actual name at The Ranch? I used Double A back then (probably '92 until they closed). I miss all those guys (Marcus, Steve, Alan the good ball lol).
Yes DT was a very cool guy. (and still is)

Yes I have been racing R/C (cars) here in So Cal since '79. I grew up at the Ranch (Pomona) and have know the Losi's since they bought the place. I lived about 4 blocks from Break-a-way in Norco (which became home to Chris Allec and Jay Halsey in the late 80's.

There was a point in those late 80's where I raced 7 days a week for about 16 months straight! Break-a-way, K&M, Outlaw, MnM, Ranch, Bob & Jims, Hot Trax, RCH, E&L, AJB's all of them! (Not every week but somewhere everynight during the time I worked for the Losi's (87-89) Good times fo sho!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Yes DT was a very cool guy. (and still is)

Yes I have been racing R/C (cars) here in So Cal since '79. I grew up at the Ranch (Pomona) and have know the Losi's since they bought the place. I lived about 4 blocks from Break-a-way in Norco (which became home to Chris Allec and Jay Halsey in the late 80's.

There was a point in those late 80's where I raced 7 days a week for about 16 months straight! Break-a-way, K&M, Outlaw, MnM, Ranch, Bob & Jims, Hot Trax, RCH, E&L, AJB's all of them! (Not every week but somewhere everynight during the time I worked for the Losi's (87-89) Good times fo sho!
That's awesome. I cant place the name from when I was racing there. I only ran there once while the off-road track was out back. Once the on-road course gave way to the off-road course, I was running twice a week down there. John Anderson and Ron Rosetti were the Losi guys that I remember running at the time. When The Ranch was sold I started running touring cars at Revelation (maybe I had a thing for that drivers stand lol) but joined the Marines shortly after and ended up in AZ with no local track until making my way back to SoCal 2 years ago. So nice to be racing again.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bscopes
Whats a brushed motor?
Why don't we rename this thread "We don't like fat people"
come on guys.
YOU PHAT? Great vids and memory lane trippin for sure! The biggest thing I remember when I started at the Ranch in 90` was that if you didn't buddy up to people and learn set ups and tips you were screwed (No internet,no rc tech)At least for a while!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I had this video shared with me Jan 09, then went to a "Vintage get together" June 2010 and seen one of the slot car controllers! :-)

The late Roy Moody on that video was one of the greatest racing legends, a great guy AND HE invented the Zip Tie <<< think about how just that one product has changed the world!!!!

The history starts about 1 minutes into the video.

Look for the ladder drivers stand, hand made cars and hand made RADIO with a slot car controller!!!!!

There are some NICE indoor off road tracks shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvSN03x3Dww

Last edited by tmail55; 11-05-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

1991, 6 years later. Things came a looong way in a short time (this is less time than the B4 and XXX were raced essentially unchanged).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYYjUk17IE
Old 11-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
1991, 6 years later. Things came a looong way in a short time (this is less time than the B4 and XXX were raced essentially unchanged).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYYjUk17IE
OMG yes!! from 86 when I started until 91 w saw all sorts of things !! stealth tranns,long F arms, softer tire compounds,High frequency esc's, 1400 scr's,better chargers(tekin, competition electronics) HOUSE TRANSPONDERS!!!That was a huge one!! when i first started our club scored with a "clicker" style scoring system where someone manually pushed a button each time the driver they were assigned to score crossed the line.. so you had to Race,Marshall,then score..So when we got a AMB system we were in heaven!!That is also the same time frame that the stadium truck class started to evolve and the very next year associated released the RC10T..I remember the first run of those trucks came with narrow buggy like fronts, then very quickly that changed to the stadard width truck front width we know today.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Even in the '91 video, it was a "real" track.