Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How to save my lipo? >

How to save my lipo?

How to save my lipo?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default How to save my lipo?

I have a small 2200 may 7.4 lipo that Accedentally drained itself last night when I left it plugged into an open circuit all night. I tried charging it and it says voltage too low. Can I save it or is it trash? And if I can save it how is it done?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turbotron View Post
I have a small 2200 may 7.4 lipo that Accedentally drained itself last night when I left it plugged into an open circuit all night. I tried charging it and it says voltage too low. Can I save it or is it trash? And if I can save it how is it done?
I have heard of people using the nimh charge mode (or even phone chargers) to get low voltage packs over 3V per cell, then putting them back on lipo charge. I have never tried it nor do i recommend it but if your game.......... Just make sure you do it in a safe place and keep a very close eye on it.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

sounds scary lol
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Put it on nimh charge until you get it up to 6.4v. It should make it there in just a minute or so, and then you can charge on lipo. NOT UNATTENDED!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

When you are in nimh mode just charge at .5 amps and watch until you get to 6v then switch to lipo mode. Just make sure you keep an eye on it will you charge it. If it is totally dead through it out.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

ok i will try it out, thanks guys
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The posts above will work but you had better be aware that not paying attention can cause huge issues. I am into airplanes and bought a Cellpro 4 from FMA Direct for charging batteries. I have other chargers for the car lipos but keep it with me since it has functions that other chargers don't seem to have.

From the FMA Direct website:

Cellpro 4s GOLD can seamlessly and safely handle packs whose cells are at or near 0 volts. Automatic Safety Charge and Pack Restore modes will kick in in certain situations. Anyone who has had difficulties charging fully depleted A123 batteries on other lithium chargers will find this new Cellpro 4s charger a refreshing improvement!

Cold weather mode automatically reduces end-charge voltage to 4.1v below 55 deg F to prevent battery damage
Old 11-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by linkless View Post
The posts above will work but you had better be aware that not paying attention can cause huge issues. I am into airplanes and bought a Cellpro 4 from FMA Direct for charging batteries. I have other chargers for the car lipos but keep it with me since it has functions that other chargers don't seem to have.

From the FMA Direct website:

Cellpro 4s GOLD can seamlessly and safely handle packs whose cells are at or near 0 volts. Automatic Safety Charge and Pack Restore modes will kick in in certain situations. Anyone who has had difficulties charging fully depleted A123 batteries on other lithium chargers will find this new Cellpro 4s charger a refreshing improvement!

Cold weather mode automatically reduces end-charge voltage to 4.1v below 55 deg F to prevent battery damage
It looks like I may just end up buying a new battery lol