Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy >

Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy

Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy

Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptainBuggy
I want to run my EXO on 4, 5 or 6S lipo (preferably 5 or 6). What ESC / motor combo do I need to look at???
I wanna see how youre planning on getting those batteries in there.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Skinny_j
I wanna see how youre planning on getting those batteries in there.

There is no plan yet, it's just an idea. If someone could tell me what the absolute maximum battery dimensions you could cram in there then I can work it out. On the motor/ESC topic, would a Tekin RX8 with a T8 motor be a candidate for 6S in the EXO?
Cheers!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is no plan yet, it's just an idea. If someone could tell me what the absolute maximum battery dimensions you could cram in there then I can work it out. On the motor/ESC topic, would a Tekin RX8 with a T8 motor be a candidate for 6S in the EXO?
Cheers!
Are you trying to compensate for something? I run a Tekin RX8 with a Pro 4 and it has more than enough power with a 2s
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Most 2s batteries barely fit. You might be able to get a 3s in there with the cage off, then put the cage over it.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tradin Paint
Are you trying to compensate for something? I run a Tekin RX8 with a Pro 4 and it has more than enough power with a 2s
No, I don't feel inadequate in any way, mate. I just see some ESC's that boast a 6S lipo limit and that inspires me to build something to those extreme limits. I like to experiment with stuff like that, I find it fun. Is that something that threatens you?

Sounds like the EXO isn't the test bed for something like that though... Any other chassis out there that would be more suitable?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

1/8 buggy or truggy
Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 PM
XDR
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

No, I don't feel inadequate in any way, mate. I just see some ESC's that boast a 6S lipo limit and that inspires me to build something to those extreme limits. I like to experiment with stuff like that, I find it fun. Is that something that threatens you?

Sounds like the EXO isn't the test bed for something like that though... Any other chassis out there that would be more suitable?
HPI Savage XL I believe is 6s capable
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Any other chassis out there that would be more suitable?
Thunder Tiger MT4-G3 if you can find one. TT discontinued it for awhile while they change I think to a 2.4 radio system for it. They have gone up in price also. It's basically an 1/8 truggy with MT tires/body.

http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/6401-F.html
Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RCNutJob
Thunder Tiger MT4-G3 if you can find one. TT discontinued it for awhile while they change I think to a 2.4 radio system for it. They have gone up in price also. It's basically an 1/8 truggy with MT tires/body.
This one looks like the go! A store near me has them in stock right now, so I think I'll pay them a visit. Mmmmmmm... 6S...mmmmmmm
Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jarrodh
heres mine
Hey Jarrod,
Can you give us some info on the LED system that you made?

Where did you get them?
What voltage can they handle?

I have the Tamiya light controller but I would like to build a set like you did so I can run directly from battery power without using a bulky light controller.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default HOT RACING CVD'S

Just as a little heads up a friend of mine and myself tried these cvd's and both of us has them break at the axel where the pin goes thru. I've heard Axial break the same way.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just built mine over the course of 3 days and had a first run tonight. Here are my thought's/issues i ran into during the build. I love this thing, probably the best rc purchase i've done in a while. I really liked the fact it took me 10 or so hours to build. This thing is really complex, worth every penny IMO (got mine though RPP @ $279, threw a couple items in my cart to make it over 300 and got free shipping). BUT i did run into a few things during the build that i'd like to point out for others. Mainly just pay attention while building it, this isn't a space off and day dream while your building type of kit.

Had my first run on the exo tonight! Still need to paint it but i couldn't resist. I ran a reedy 5000mah 2s through her, never had so much fun driving an rc around the yard. It feels real good from the little that i drove it, i can't wait to get it on a track. First- make sure you oring the rear dog bones on the diff side, i forgot but noticed the slop while assembling which reminded me to do so. I had lots of throttle smashing and no issues arose, which makes me happy. The exo seems solid, just take your time building the kit. I had to grind down maybe 3mm off the front steering turnbuckles/linkage because i couldn't get them short enough with out over screwing the rod ends and seizing the pivot balls. Speaking of which, DONT over tighten screws that go through the plastic pivot balls, doing so will cause the pivot ball to smash/swell and your links won't cycle as smooth. Get it tight, and leave it. You don't need to get it tight, than crank it more to make sure that nylon lock nut doesn't fall off. It won't, just get it tight. Also don't over tighten the wheel nuts, doing so will cause the wheel to not spin as freely-check stuff like this as you go. I also had an issue on one of the spider gears in the diff, the pin barley went through it and it was pretty much seized on once i got it in position. Took it off and there was a "bur" at the opening of the hole, quick fix with the exacto and it spun smooth. Other than those few small things, and my shock fix below it was a total blast to build!

I built my shocks with the DUAL RATE pistons. I assembled the piston, tightened it onto the shock shaft, and then lightly sanded the outer edges of the piston's with super fine sand paper. Again, don't over tighten that nut holding the piston/washer assembly onto the shaft, it will smash the plastic and deform the piston. They cycle much smoother after sanding those outer edges. And while not at a track yet, the dual rate pistons felt good. I did fast compression/slow rebound on the rear, & slow compression/fast rebound on the front. I put 40wt in the rear and 30wt in the front. I was a little worried about the "nose diving" people talked about, so i compensated for it. We'll see how the shock weights feel once i get to a track, but it jumped around the yard nicely. Can't say much about the stock diff fluid's as i was on asphalt most of the time and bark but it tracked really straight and went where i wanted it too.

Oh p.s., Tm44 that silver painted cage looks real good, how is the paint holding up? I might have to steal the idea.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Really thinking of dropping the ball on this kit, but I saw the build/review thread and it seems like a pain to get into and work on... I figure after a few times it should get easier.

What are the general thoughts on the build, would you just leave the interior cosmetic piece out or would it make a difference?

Any other pros/cons? - I've read shocks...
Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Rookie

I found it a pretty typical Axial build. I have a few crawlers and learned to do your upgrades at the initial build. The GCM motor mount is a good investment.
Not running the interior makes for easier battery changes especially if you have bigger fingers. Also allows plenty of cooling but does affect the scale look.
Pictures in the instructions are sometimes easier to see in the PDF version from Axial's site.
I'm really enjoying mine.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry I didnt want to look through 44 pages, has anyone run a stock brushed setup in there exo? I have been thinking about getting one for my son. Let me know if you have and how it worked out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.