Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy >

Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy

Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy

Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'm in full swing build mode. I will be done by end of the day tomorrow. This thing is freaking RAD!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Definately not a very quick build. Not sure if I would push a 1 day build to race the next day.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Once ya'll get some run time on this beast let us know the details. I'm on the fence about ordering one now and would like to know how they hold up before dropping the coin on another vehicle.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I got mine done in about a day and a half, working on it pretty much the whole time. But it was definately time consuming. I spent the most time, trying to figure out what parts tree the part I was looking for was on. Here's my exo with some clay tires on, ready for tomorrows race! They are suburbs mounted on losi 4x wheels.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Skinny_j
I got mine done in about a day and a half, working on it pretty much the whole time. But it was definately time consuming. I spent the most time, trying to figure out what parts tree the part I was looking for was on. Here's my exo with some clay tires on, ready for tomorrows race! They are suburbs mounted on losi 4x wheels.

Looks good. Be sure to give us a run report when you get back from your race....
Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I put my EXO through some serious testing/racing this past weekend at the Best in the West Indoor Offroad-Fest up in Parksville B.C. (http://www.rctech.net/forum/canadian...road-fest.html)

I have to say I was VERY impressed with how she held up. The only thing non-stock were the shocks, which I swapped out for the Proline Powerstrokes. I have been a road racer for over 20 years and only last summer did I get into offroad, and the only reason I mention that is I'm still driving like a rookie on dirt, LOL. She cart-wheeled at top speed down the back straight, I flung her over the jumps and not one screw came out, not one bent part, nothing! The race was held in an Equestrian barn and there was no heat in there so we were running in 0 degree weather so the plastics were hard as a rock. I saw numerous other vehicles coming off the track with broken parts but not the EXO...

I has SO many compliments on how cool the thing looked out there. Tons of guys were enthusiastic about this class...

Buy 'em, build 'em and race em' boyz!!

Mick

PS: In a field of 260 vehicles I managed to win concourse with it too
Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Hopefully ill be able to put up some clips! I've got my video camera packed and ready to go! On another note I wound up modifying my shocks to emulsion style with bleeder screws. I took the bladders out completely and drilled a tiny hole in the cap, then used a team associated bleeder screw to plug it, and used teflon tape to seal the cap. I couldn't get all the rebound out of the stock shocks and as a result the exo was bouncy! (Just on the jump in my backyard) I also noticed it had tons of traction and liked to traction roll. We don't yet have sway bars so I went to 35wt shock oil to slow things down a bit. It still traction rolls a bit but its harder to do.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaWf-...1&feature=plcp

Here is the video of me running the first qualifier which was my best race! I couldn't figure out how to embed it from my phone so if someone could help me out it would be much appreciated. Honestly the terra buggy is the most fun to drive of all the sc's I've driven. I tqd the first qualifier, got second in the second qual, but held onto my tq, then fell apart in the main and wound up in second! All on stock tires! Honestly the stockers hook up just as good as a good set of suburbs on the track! I did however fry my front ring gear and pinion (at least I think I did, haven't pulled it apart yet) but there is a loud clicking under braking and the spider gears still feel smoothe. Ill take it apart later and see the damage and maybe try and shim it. Other than that I broke nothing, except the screw that holds the wing on. The buggy corners excellent and jumps just as good. Everyone at the track wanted one at the end of the night!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

I was hitting the triple (which is huge) for the first part of the first qualifier then I started hearing gears skipping so I opted for double/single which is probably faster anyways. But I had to baby the car the rest of the night to make all my races. Are there any other axial ring and pinions that will fit in the exo?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

all the axial ring and pinions will work. You can use the HD gears as well.

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax30395...cfcdbf33dde400
Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Team Tekin

Looks awesome Skinny! I can't wait to run mine tomorrow!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
Looks awesome Skinny! I can't wait to run mine tomorrow!
Personally I think you should be deducted at the very least, 5 (RC)man points, for not having run it YET!!

Mine actually arrived yesterday, 1 day earlier than tracking showed and all I managed to assemble, before whimping out for bed, were the front/rear diffs and front end assembly...

For that I gave myself a 2 point deduction.

All in good fun!!

P.S. lets not forget to keep the front page(s) useable for edits / updates / tweaks and mods etc...
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

I really like the idea of hardened gears, but the ones pictured in the link look different, mostly the pinion. I'm going to machine some shims for it today and see how that goes!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great job at the track! The EXO looked dialed out there
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks! It felt dialed too! Now for the aftermath. So I tore the cage off of it tonite to see ehat the grinding noise was. I pulled the diff case off and discovered lots of metal shavings! The ring and pinion were toast. Luckily I bought some scx 10 diffs earlier just in case. I machined some .02 thick diff shims to put between the ring gear and bearing. It tightened the mesh up perfectly without binding. I'm headed back out to the track on saturday so ill get to see how it holds up. I figured I better check the rear diff while I had it torn down and found the same thing just not as bad. The teeth had definately been skipping all night (and I still wound up in second, hehe) I also found that all 4 of my hinge pins were bent, which I just bent back. They seem very soft for a such a load bearing piece of hardware. I guess ill just wait for some upgrades. I was worried about the spider gears but they looked great! Here's a pic of what I found in the front end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.