R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just put 4 white 5mm LED"s on one of my trucks, powered by the receiver. I wired them in parallel with a 120ohm .5 watt resistor in line to the hot side of each LED (4 resistors total). They work perfect and havent had any problems from them.
Cummins Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Tech Adept

IC IC im have to give it some trying, Good news is I am pretty sure i got a pack of 240 ohm so just have 2 wire 2 of them up in parallel
ridinloudprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
Tech Elite

LEDs will usually light up at a slightly lower voltage, just not as bright. If they are not lighting at all, you might not have enough amperage power for some reaon from the esc.

For example, if you try to light a led with one of those small 3 volt chicklet style of batteries used in car remotes, it will work, but put 2 in parallel and only one will light up (the one with less resistance)
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
LEDs will usually light up at a slightly lower voltage, just not as bright. If they are not lighting at all, you might not have enough amperage power for some reaon from the esc.

For example, if you try to light a led with one of those small 3 volt chicklet style of batteries used in car remotes, it will work, but put 2 in parallel and only one will light up (the one with less resistance)
yeah, tomorrow im pull out my DMM and some LEDS and start doing alot of trail and error and figure out what exactly I need to do....Just wanted to make sure that the esc will be able to power them.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

coelacanth;
For more difusion, skuff up the outside of the LED with a Scotch Bright pad or 600 grit sand paper.
Bob Oaks
bob o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob o View Post
coelacanth;
For more difusion, skuff up the outside of the LED with a Scotch Bright pad or 600 grit sand paper.
Bob Oaks
yeah I am looking to build me my own roof rack. I built one was not happy with it. I took a solid plastic handle off a electric weed whacker and going to modify that into one. light weight and strong.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob o View Post
coelacanth;
Bob Oaks
Good tip, I've done similar things shining LEDs through an acrylic tube scuffed up with 400-grit sandpaper...it works great, the whole tube illuminates. You can also shine LEDs along the edges of a piece of acrylic sheet, anything that's engraved in the flat surface will light up.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Alright well I found out mine puts out I believe it was 5.5 volts.....I used 2 240 ohm resistors parrellel and got a led to light up now as soon as my chrome cups get here Ill start building.