new to this

Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool new to this

Can some one please give me some good advice. I want to buy 3 RTR electric cars for me and my 2 sons. (aged 21 and 24). Yes we are big kids.

The 2 models that keep cropping up are the XTM x cellerater and the Maverick Strada. Price needs to be sub 150. These are just for a thrash off road, probably end up doing a bit of stock car, 5 or 6 times a year.

Thanks folks. Any help much apreciated.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

I have not owned either of those cars so i cant really comment on them but few things to keep in mind would be:

(1) If you plan to use Lipo batteries make sure whatever cars you buy come with speed controls that are Lipo ready(they need a auto voltage cut off so you do not drain the packs to much and damage them).

(2) Local parts support is very helpful, even worth spending more on the cars to get what your local hobbyshop stocks parts for since you will save money in the long run not having to always pay shipping fees for replacement items.

(3) Make sure to read/watch some reviews on whatever car you decide on, Youtube is a good source for this. Google search using the name of the car is a good place to start.

(4) FM radios are worth the extra cost, AM radios have a very weak signal and usually offer little or no adjustment.

(5) Buggies due to their lower ground clearance are not a great choice if you play drive in your backyard or on grass and not just drive on groomed tracks. Trucks tend to be better for "bashing" ( I hate that term).

(6) Invest in some good tools, mainly Nut Drivers and long handled Allen Wrenches. Makes working on the cars much more enjoyable. Also thread lock is a must for keeping any metal on metal screws and bolts from falling off.

(7) Four wheel drive cars are great for traction but are more of a chore to maintain due to how many more parts they have so keep that in mind. Also two wheel drive cars tend to be better at jumping, easier to control in the air and less nose heavy.

All i can think of, i am sure others can add more.