Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tire Removal (Step By Step, How To) >

Tire Removal (Step By Step, How To)

Tire Removal (Step By Step, How To)

Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

Originally Posted by UZI4U79
AKA red foams did not react to the Accetone, but they were also dry when I took them out.
jconcepts and proline closed cells also where good for me but i use the vapor method, just takes an extra 24 hours. also takes less acetone to do.

also i use 4 old $1 glass cups to keep the tires out of the acetone when doing vapor method.

vapors seem to not dry out the tires too, so if you want to reuse tires on another rim, you easily can, or if you just need to replace foams and reuse rim and tire, or even replace a stripped rim.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I explained the acetone method and oven baking to my wife.

New rims, foams and tires every time
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gelshocker

lol, 5 gallon bucket with a lid makes acetone pretty safe, and doesnt make the area smell as bad.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Just dont get impatient with the acetone method and then try to bake them....

its an unholy odor that will linger for a good week or two...
and the old lady will bitch about it for MONTHS!!! ( mine still does)
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

That's awesome! I mentioned baking to my wife and she said to try Accetone in the garage. No boiling or baking at my house. Thanks for the extra info guys. I might try vapors on my next set.

I have 3 sets that I got in trades that are cracking(CA) and coming off the wheels. Tires and foams are still good, just want to get a better glue job on the sets.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Funny, I started this thread about 8 months ago and I'm still using the same Acetone that's in that same bucket. Dozens of wheels have gone through that soak. As long as you keep the lid on it's good for a long time.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
Funny, I started this thread about 8 months ago and I'm still using the same Acetone that's in that same bucket. Dozens of wheels have gone through that soak. As long as you keep the lid on it's good for a long time.
I know I brought it back to life today! Thanks for the tip on being able to reuse Chizzle! Thanks fo starting the thread too!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I am 1.5 years on my original gallon. It takes a day longer than it first did but it still works just as good.

Just think, $10 for a gallon of acetone and it's saved me well over $200 in rims and fixing glue Screw ups. Simple and smell free compared to the baking method.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

agreed i have been using the same for a long time as well just throw them in and forget them for about a wekk and they just fall off the rims

did the baking once it worked fine and was quicker but still had to clean with acetone to remove baked on glue so now its suspended above every time i dont even bother to cut out the foams these days as with the suspended method they come out fine as well every time ever if it takes a week of fumes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DBL15
they come out fine as well every time ever if it takes a week of fumes
always can just go buy a $4 can from walmart to "freshen" it up lol
Old 07-05-2012, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone had their tires shrink after using this method. I tried a set of BK Bars (Clay compound) and the wheels came out great but the tires have shrunk up pretty bad. I have no idea how to get them back and now I can't really use them.

Any advice? I used the full soak method on mine, not the vapor method.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Alot of clay compounds dont like Acetone. I believe losi Pink and JC golds will shrink up on you. I am not sure of a way to reexpand them unfortanetly.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UZI4U79
Old thread, I know, but I did just soak my tires in Accetone and wanted to give an update. I put four tires in a pan, then I poured a bag of blue aquarium rocks on the tires, then I poured in Accetonento the top of the tires. I put wood on top of the container. After 24 hrs I was able to remove one side and remove the inserts. Soaking again to get the other side free.

Tires: AKA Rebars
Foams: Red AKA foams
Wheels: AKA wheels
Old CA looks to be black, got these in a trade and the glue started cracking

AKA red foams did not react to the Accetone, but they were also dry when I took them out.

You may think the foams are untouched....But in reality you've stripped some of the essential oils right out of the foams and they have shrunken a bit, hard to tell, But it does happen to AKA foam and Soaking in Acetone.

I suggest the "floating method" to get the 1st bead off then peel out the foam and soak away.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I don't see why anyone would do this to reuse the tires. The tires are the wear item. Once they're worn out, cut them off, keep the foam(if closed cell) and chuck the tires. If you HAVE to switch foams for some reason, you can cut one sidewall, replace the foam and glue the tire back to itself. It's a little tricky but it can be done.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

I don't see why anyone would do this to reuse the tires. The tires are the wear item. Once they're worn out, cut them off, keep the foam(if closed cell) and chuck the tires. If you HAVE to switch foams for some reason, you can cut one sidewall, replace the foam and glue the tire back to itself. It's a little tricky but it can be done.
This.

I cut the center of one of the beads and pluck out the foam, then dunk away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.