Team Associated RC8.2e Thread >

Team Associated RC8.2e Thread

Like Tree6Likes

Team Associated RC8.2e Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mugen Gaskets and Shimming

Would it be okay to have no shims used behind sun gear?

I think I've read the whole thread twice and not one mention of diff cases being sanded down other than making them smooth for better sealing ability.

After putting the Mugen gasket on the sanded-down diff gear housing (took .55mm of material off), the whole thing feels smooth once again. If I put on an Associated stock gasket, the gears start feeling notchy, and I have to take out one of the two shims behind the sun gear for everything to feel almost smooth. Taking the second sun gear shim out is not an option as that would leave the sun gear riding on the o-ring.

So, thicker gasket, and two sun gear shims it will be for now when I use broken-in/worn diff gears. The diff has been sitting on table for day with not one drop of oil leaking... bonus !
NitroStar and MailManX like this.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default 89117 Shims

I was not too shocked to see all the slopped that developed over the past three years. During the rebuilding of the diffs this time around, I couldn't take it (slop) anymore.

I got my shims in the mail, and I am needing quite a few of them so far. Using one of the 89117 Diff Shims before putting the bearing into the gearbox allows the diff pinion gear to be pulled against the inner bearing...like it was when kit was fresh.

If I don't put a shim in here, the pinion gear will be able to move in and out of gearbox the tiniest bit, and I'll start to get a notchy feeling going on.

I did this for both front and rear gearboxes.

One additional shim needed at rear diff outdrive bearing.
Two additional shims (one each side) at front diff outdrive bearings.
Three shims for center diff centering.
Two shims for front steering block bearings.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Is the rc8.2e used team still a good option these days? Or is it better to inestir and get a more current car?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bad option parts are no longer made. I'd get a Tekno buggy
Old 09-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Parts supply is still great for the RC8 line of buggies. If not, I'd be getting rid of mine.

The only thing I dislike about the RC8.2e...working on the diffs. Paulo Braz, if you don't like "wrenching" on a RC, then I'd look for another platform with easy access diffs. There are a lot of screws, nuts, and bolts to undo when you want to get the diffs out. I put up with it because I got a great deal on the kit. Plus, I have other RCs to run while I am in the middle of a complete diff inspection/rebuild. So far, the RC8.2e has been easy on the wallet when it comes to the cost of maintaining the platform.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Many parts are available including FT ones, but where can one buy an unpainted body?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

This is where a local hobby shop is needed.

I must have search that subject a while back. I had saved a thread post link that was talking about using the RC8B3e's body. The link is no good anymore. I titled it "Using RC8B3e on RC8.2e". I can't remember if any modifications were needed.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

This is why I suggest a different manufacturer. AE should be doing a better job supporting what is still a perfectly good buggy. I don't know if Tekno will be any better than AE as time goes by, but man that EB48 line sure is a nice clean design
Old 09-16-2018, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rustyus View Post
This is where a local hobby shop is needed.

I must have search that subject a while back. I had saved a thread post link that was talking about using the RC8B3e's body. The link is no good anymore. I titled it "Using RC8B3e on RC8.2e". I can't remember if any modifications were needed.
so does the RC8.3e body work on a 2.e?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

From the RC8B3e thread...Post #266
Originally Posted by sanderson373 View Post
The 8.2e body does fit on the b3e its a tight fit so if you want to vise versa it will fit jus fine the front of the 8.2 is just a little longer but not a big deal
Old 09-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Parts supply is still great for the RC8 line of buggies. If not, I'd be getting rid of mine.

The only thing I dislike about the RC8.2e...working on the diffs. Paulo Braz, if you don't like "wrenching" on a RC, then I'd look for another platform with easy access diffs. There are a lot of screws, nuts, and bolts to undo when you want to get the diffs out. I put up with it because I got a great deal on the kit. Plus, I have other RCs to run while I am in the middle of a complete diff inspection/rebuild. So far, the RC8.2e has been easy on the wallet when it comes to the cost of maintaining the platform.
Thanks for the tip. But I ended up opting and getting tekno eb48.4.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

From the RC8B3e thread...Post #266
thank you
Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

I posted this is the GT8 thread, and figured Id cross post to this thread.

Check out this video I recorded on track with my setup. This is my Associated RC8.2e 1/8 buggy configured in GT8 chassis setup, but without the GT8 body and bumper/body mount (Photo of GT8 Body earlier in this thread). I have the GoPro mounted on the buggy body and found myself at a track I use to race 1/10 pan car on back in the day. I just happened to be passing by this town for a few days and had this car setup in my trunk... Well, because it is fun to take with me.

I knew the opportunity to grab footage I only dreamed of 20 years ago was too good to pass up on. Pleased to share the GT8 (sans body) FPV Footage.
Enjoy!

MailManX likes this.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pmes View Post
This is why I suggest a different manufacturer. AE should be doing a better job supporting what is still a perfectly good buggy. I don't know if Tekno will be any better than AE as time goes by, but man that EB48 line sure is a nice clean design
I bought my RC8.2e 4-years ago and use it for bashing. It is the best basher I own - easy to drive, easy to jump and tough as nails! It is still one of my favorite cars. I bought a boat load of spares for it a while back in case of decreasing availability. However, I've used very few because it seldom breaks. The main maintenance is the diffs and I've gotten pretty good at that getting them shimmed right. They don't wear out very fast now.

I still see pretty good availability of parts online. Tower carries almost the whole catalog of basic spares for the RC8.2e. Hobbytown carries some and RCPlanet carries a very large selection. In lieu of that, sometimes it is worth looking at the RCTech or Ebay sales threads for people selling their old equipment. You can often pick up a spare RC8.2e with a bunch of extra parts for a really great price. Also, the diffs are common to several other Team Associated cars, so use that in your favor. Here is just one example: The venerable Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 used EXACTLY the same differentials. Several outlets, including DollarHobbyz, sell complete differential sets for the MT4 G3. Several chop shops on ebay also sell parts for a fair price.

I hope that's enough to keep you going for a while. If you happen to find a screaming deal on something that wears out or breaks often, buy a BUNCH of those parts and rest happily.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service