R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default digital peak charger question

I recently got one of these used in the mail and a few venom batt packs. The first time one pack charged to 5300mah and now only goes to 3800mah and one peaked at 3800mah now only gets 800mah. I am looking at the mah digital read out before the charger finishes and starts beeping. Can someone explain what is happening here?

Also what happens if you charge a pack twice. Will it charge better or have no effect. I don't think a batt could have died after 1 use. it's a venom 4200. a traxxas pack I had charged to 3000 but died in 5 minutes. Maybe it's the charger?

it charges around 12v, 3.8-4.2amps and mah readouts vary greatly. I am using NIMH.

Thanks,

Last edited by r/c_girl; 10-25-2011 at 10:34 AM.
r/c_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r/c_girl View Post
I recently got one of these used in the mail and a few venom batt packs. The first time one pack charged to 5300mah and now only goes to 3800mah and one peaked at 3800mah now only gets 800mah. I am looking at the mah digital read out before the charger finishes and starts beeping. Can someone explain what is happening here?

Also what happens if you charge a pack twice. Will it charge better or have no effect. I don't think a batt could have died after 1 use. it's a venom 4200. a traxxas pack I had charged to 3000 but died in 5 minutes. Maybe it's the charger?

it charges around 12v, 3.8-4.2amps and mah readouts vary greatly. I am using NIMH.

Thanks,
Depending on the age of the battery packs, you may need to cycle them (that is, charge, discharge, and repeat several times). As you cycle them more, the mAh going into the pack(s) should increase. Also check the battery temperatures; Are they warm/hot after charging? If they are cold, then the charger might not be charging them.

Provide some more specific details; what capacity and voltage are these batteries? what model of charger are you using? etc.
Bigshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Even I had the similar issues until a new one just popped up.

I got two 3S Lipo's of 5800mah each. I have been charging it at 5amps at all times and never used the discharged option.

Now I got a issue that is I drove my Savage for about 25mins and the battery still had charge in it. Had to end my day though..

I started to charge the battery today and surprisingly one of them showed FULL just under 2mins..

Any suggestions to what happened?
joydude630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydude630 View Post
Even I had the similar issues until a new one just popped up.

I got two 3S Lipo's of 5800mah each. I have been charging it at 5amps at all times and never used the discharged option.

Now I got a issue that is I drove my Savage for about 25mins and the battery still had charge in it. Had to end my day though..

I started to charge the battery today and surprisingly one of them showed FULL just under 2mins..

Any suggestions to what happened?
If you ran it for 25 minutes, that would probably discharge the cells a decent amount. I would check the voltage of the cells through the balance plug; make sure the voltages are between 3.0v and 4.2v. If you find a cell that is outside that range, that might indicate a bad cell. while you're measuring the voltages, check the differences; balance the pack if necessary.

Also check the charger's configuration, and the connectors. Sometimes a bad connector can fool the charger (I've had that happen with worn deans connectors).
Bigshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Tech Adept

BigShades, Thanks for your reply..

If the battery is outside the range you have indicated..What should I do with the Lipo? Dispose it?

What I will do is tht run the Lipo's and then try to balance charge it first.
joydude630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

It's a prophet plus LCD charger and using traxxas and venom 7 cell hump packs.

I think it will only charge the portion that it is low thats why the readouts are so different after each charge.

I have another question when I start it will flicker red for about 15-20seconds then go solid red and start flashing red again right before it's done charging before the tone goes off.

Anyone notice this with their prophet digital charger?

Thanks
r/c_girl is offline   Reply With Quote