Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 2.4ghz FHSS steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Futaba 2.4ghz FHSS steering issues

I wanted to see if you guys might be able to help me out with an issue I am having with my SC10. I recently bought it as a roller after having been out of the sport for a while and bought all brand new electronics for the truck. I got everything installed fine and it works and runs great but I have noticed recently when I have been testing the steering and going back and forth it will glitch and lock up the steering for about a second and then it shoot back to center positioning. I have a Futaba 3PL with FHSS receiver and a Spektrum Steering servo. I have check to make sure linkage isnt hanging up and servo horn issues dont seem to be the trouble either. I took it out again last evening and noticed as I attempted to do a slalom like run going back and forth the steering just glitches and sticks and the car veers one way until the steering servo goes back to center position. When it does this I see the Red LED stays lit on the receiver and then goes off once the servo jumps back to center position.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated because I obviously cant have that happen in the middle of a race when trying to do some quick steering on the track and then jam me into the wall.

Thank You!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

What ESC are you using?? Most likely if everything mechanical checks out, you will probably need to get an external BEC....
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi thanks for the quick reply. I have the Mamba Max Pro from Castle in it. Excuse my lack of knowledge with the new stuff its been years since I've raced electric. What is a external BEC??
Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pitrcer3
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I have the Mamba Max Pro from Castle in it. Excuse my lack of knowledge with the new stuff its been years since I've raced electric. What is a external BEC??
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adjustable-BEC

That will help, problem is that servo is probably pulling too many amps and causing the receiver to brownout, that should solve the problem if it's electrical....
Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Lord

yep, you either need a BEC, or a servo that doesn't pull twice the amps it's supposed to. The Savox servos while they are a bargain, reek havoc on electronics from the amount of juice they need to run. Id sell the savox and buy a bls451 and you'll be good. You wont need any extra external electronics and you will have a better servo.

What you are describing can also happen when the servo itself burns out.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks I honestly truly think that it is an electrical issue and it only happens for a split second or so when you are quickly making left and right turns and then once it catches it just goes right back to center on the servo. It happens when driving or if you hold it and wheels are off the ground. Do you run one of these on your vehicle??

BTW thanks for the link I'll have to order it quickly if I want it for this week to practice some more.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks I honestly truly think that it is an electrical issue and it only happens for a split second or so when you are quickly making left and right turns and then once it catches it just goes right back to center on the servo. It happens when driving or if you hold it and wheels are off the ground. Do you run one of these on your vehicle??

BTW thanks for the link I'll have to order it quickly if I want it for this week to practice some more.
Yes, I had a Castle, now I have a Tekin, and I used the BEC in both....
Old 10-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok thanks a bunch I'll have to get one of those to try and pray that solves the issues.

Thank You!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks I honestly truly think that it is an electrical issue and it only happens for a split second or so when you are quickly making left and right turns and then once it catches it just goes right back to center on the servo. .
yes, thats what we said. The electrical issue is that the savox servos pull too much current, and your esc can't keep up.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Yep I found some more info since I have a Spektrum Servo they have lockout issues so I am going to pick up the BEC or Spektrum Voltage Protector

Thanks from everyone!