Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Brushless motor question >

Brushless motor question

Brushless motor question

Old 10-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Brushless motor question

I'm putting together my first electric rc and i noticed the shaft on the motor dose not turn reel easy. Is it programed from the factory like that? I installed it and you cant even roll the kit. The kit rolled fine untill i installed the motor. My gear mesh is fine. Will it free up when I program it with my settings? Its a CC SW 3800 4 pole. I have friends with brushless kits and i;m oretty sure you can push there cars and they roll. Sarry for the newb question.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elex300 View Post
I'm putting together my first electric rc and i noticed the shaft on the motor dose not turn reel easy. Is it programed from the factory like that? I installed it and you cant even roll the kit. The kit rolled fine untill i installed the motor. My gear mesh is fine. Will it free up when I program it with my settings? Its a CC SW 3800 4 pole. I have friends with brushless kits and i;m oretty sure you can push there cars and they roll. Sarry for the newb question.
Based on what your saying, it doesnt sound good. Your magnets may be broken/cracked causing the friction. You should be able to roller the car a short distance with the motor in.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So If you push the car are the wheels locking up? even if you push down on the chassis to get grip.

The car should roll a bit when pushed but it will not free wheel like it will without the motor hooked up. If that makes sense??

The magnets do create quite alot of resistance but you should be able to turn it by hand. It kind of feels notchy (in a smooth way) as it jumps between magnets.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nogas View Post
So If you push the car are the wheels locking up? even if you push down on the chassis to get grip.

The car should roll a bit when pushed but it will not free wheel like it will without the motor hooked up. If that makes sense??

The magnets do create quite alot of resistance but you should be able to turn it by hand. It kind of feels notchy (in a smooth way) as it jumps between magnets.
Yep it feels notchy when I turn it by hand. It's not locked up but when I put it in the kit and push the truck you can feel the notchy feeling. Is this normal when they are new? The only thing I have to compare it to is my buddys Rustler with a Velinion system and his dose'nt feel notchy. Is it because its a 4 pole?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yep it feels notchy when I turn it by hand. It's not locked up but when I put it in the kit and push the truck you can feel the notchy feeling. Is this normal when they are new? The only thing I have to compare it to is my buddys Rustler with a Velinion system and his dose'nt feel notchy. Is it because its a 4 pole?
Yes, that sounds normal. As long as it feels like its magnets pulling onto each other, then letting go and so on in a smooth way (notchy probably wasn't the best word)
Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is it because its a 4 pole?
Yes, those 4 pole motors have HUGE amount of "magnetic friction", it's why they have so much low end torque.

Run it, it's fine. If it's not a 4wd you put it in I hope you have a lot of grip or you'll blow the tires off.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bike racer View Post
Yes, those 4 pole motors have HUGE amount of "magnetic friction", it's why they have so much low end torque.

Run it, it's fine. If it's not a 4wd you put it in I hope you have a lot of grip or you'll blow the tires off.
LOL! It's a 4wd