Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How to tame throttle on take-off >

How to tame throttle on take-off

How to tame throttle on take-off

Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default How to tame throttle on take-off

Ok real newbie electric rc question here: How do you tame throttle on take-off?

I have an HPI e-firestorm flux and I must say, being used to the smooth power transfer on a nitro, I find the throttle control on the electric way too punchy and almost uncontrollable. I am finding it difficult to smoothly give acceleration and line up for jumps. Basically, it's too easy to spin out the tires on the track. I already have the slipper clutch set up so that I don't pop wheelies too easily. The truck comes with the TF-20 transmitter and receiver, so there is not much in terms of adjustment. Pretty much only trim levels and dual rate. Does this mean that I need to rely on ESC programming to tame the throttle (therefore meaning that I need to buy the USB cable and software)?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

THROTTLE CONTROL.

no need to do anything else. it can be done
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Setting your punch control in your ESC will also help. Is there a way to do it with beeps and button presses instead of a control cable?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

don't pull your left index finger back so quickly... make sure your throttle curve is flat.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can also add some expo to your radio if its capable. Or just learn to squeeze the Throttle, not jab.o
Old 10-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

of course you can get a castle link and limit punch control, and change throttle curve but doing so you will never learn to drive high power brushless car properly.
sometimes you need every bit of power the system is able to deliver and with limited ESC it wont be
Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

The problem is that there is just way too much punch at the beginning. There is no smooth delivery of power at the start. All it does is give me poorly controlled take-off and excess spinning in the turns. I know electric will have that instant torque, compared to nitro, but I barely have to touch the trigger to get the wheel spin. Seems to me like the best tweak to do is adjust the power curve. No limit of top end, but just smooths out the initial power. *le sigh* Guess I should buy the castle esc program kit.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If your radio has it puts some negative expo in the throttle, like maybe 15%. Use it now with my orion,ko,and tekin speedos. smooths out the take off.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zao18 View Post
The problem is that there is just way too much punch at the beginning. There is no smooth delivery of power at the start. All it does is give me poorly controlled take-off and excess spinning in the turns. I know electric will have that instant torque, compared to nitro, but I barely have to touch the trigger to get the wheel spin. Seems to me like the best tweak to do is adjust the power curve. No limit of top end, but just smooths out the initial power. *le sigh* Guess I should buy the castle esc program kit.
Sounds like there is way to much initial power. I understand this is going to make it too hard for you to drive. Even the pros do whatever they can to make a car consistent and the power usable.

Whatever you can do on your speedy, reduce punch and amp. Putting a curve on you transmitter exp can really help. One of the top racers showed me his curve when I started out. There was practically nothing at the beginning of the trigger pull, I think he had it at -65 or so.

Be sure to make the car as easy to drive as possible, you will learn a lot more race craft if you have consistency and use good lines with corner speed to set yourself up for the next jump. Better the car be settled and smooth than taking hack lines and having to be gunning it to clear the jump.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Did you buy it new or used? If used then the previous owner may have used the castle link to set the throttle punch very high or the curve may have a lot of punch on the bottom end.

Check around the track and see if somebody has a castle link and will hook it up for you just to see where your settings are.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

sit on your hand for a while before you drive. Once you lose feeling, your finger will be much slower on the throttle.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Timmahhh View Post
sit on your hand for a while before you drive. Once you lose feeling, your finger will be much slower on the throttle.

lol.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just need to learn to roll into the throttle, all these "punch limiters" are just extra add ons that defeat the purpose of learning to feel your own trucks power.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

I know what you are talking about. Re-learning your throttle controll will go far and take practice. I don't know what ESC you have but people are making it sound like Castle Creations. The programmer itself is prettly cheap, the solftware is free through Castle Creations website. If you have a digital camera that you connect to your computer then you have a really good chance of having the right cable already. The ESC has some great programming features to tame your truck. Just make small changes one at a time and you'll get it.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Don't forget.. imo 80% of setup is correct tire selection. If you have a good setup, aligned, properly cambered, AND the right set of tires for the job, it will make getting into the throttle that much easier.

On the other hand I see this quite often, rediculously overpowered RC's. Sometimes it's faster to use a smaller motor.

Also: are you running a sensored or sensorless setup. A sensorless setup will give you, imo, a much more "on power" or "off power" feel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service