How to tame throttle on take-off >

How to tame throttle on take-off

How to tame throttle on take-off

Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Control the throttle with your finger
Old 10-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Yes it's brand new so the ESC has stock settings. It's a Flux sensorless brushless system, which is basically a rebadged Castle Creations. Unfortunately, that means I need the link kit that attaches to the ESC's 2-prong port rather than a camera usb cable. And yes, I agree that a lot of the throttle control is me needing to practice, especially since the electric behaves so different from the nitro (*sigh* I love the smoothness of a 3-shoe clutch setup). But I still think that adjusting the punch or curve at the beginning would definitely help smooth things out. Unfortunately, my remote does not have exponential function. The TF-20 that comes with the e-firestorm is pretty basic, though thankfully it is a 2.4 GHz system. I forsee buying the Castle Creations link kit in the near future.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

You should be able to program the castle without it. Granted, not to such detail, but enough to get you where you want to be.

It is called "stick" programming. Look in the manual, you should be able to do this.

edit:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

Found it
Old 10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Might try resetting your esc to the radio. I have seen a few guys at the track having this problem. Basically if its not set right you are getting full throttle at 1/2 trigger pull. I tried driving their cars and felt it right away but I knew what to look for. Just a suggestion.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zao18 View Post
...Unfortunately, that means I need the link kit that attaches to the ESC's 2-prong port rather than a camera usb cable....
That's just it. usb connects to the "circutboard programmer" then to you esc. Either way you'll have fun once you get it right.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Yup, the more posts I see, the more I think I need to adjust the punch settings. Definitely seems to be a must, if I want any semblance of control on the dirt track. Also seems like it's practically a must to have a programming cable if I want to take full control of my ESC settings.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Update: Got the USB link kit today and tinkered with the ESC settings. Set throttle punch to 50% disabled, and smoothed out the throttle curve, giving it a more exponential shape. Now the take-off is waaaay more manageable, while still being pretty damn torquey, and it doesn't limit my top end. Definitely gives a more smoothed out feel to the truck when squeezing the trigger.

Moral of the story: If you truly want to take control of your electric rigs, get the programming cable and software.

The Castle Creations software is pretty nice too. I like the tips it gives about each setting. Not to mention, it's a free download. Can't complain about that.