Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New release Blitz RTR or original? >

New release Blitz RTR or original?

New release Blitz RTR or original?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New release Blitz RTR or original?

Hi,

I'm new to RC cars and specifically want to get into short course trucks. After months of research, browsing forums, talking to LHS, and attending local races, I have decided on spending my hard earned cash on HPI Blitz RTR 2wd truck. The only question I have is which Blitz to buy?

I have found a new (original) Blitz RTR with bat. and charger for $177.00 shipped to my door. I have also found a NEW Blitz RTR with bat and charger for $229.00 shipped to my door. If my info is correct, the changes include: 2.4 radio, new body, and waterproof electronics.

Initially, the truck will be used for bashing. If I get into it and enjoy driving, I may want to race it. My question is the extra $52 worth it? I could care less about the body. Waterproof electronics doesn't seem to be a breaking point. Maybe difference in radio is enough justification.

I am thinking of getting the cheaper one. If I decide to race, I will want to replace motor, esc, and probably radio anyway. What do you guys think?

Is the updated Blitz RTR worth an extra $52? Thanks for the anticipated help....
Old 10-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Rookie

No thoughts on the two different versions? Maybe I should have posted on an HPI specific thread? Or maybe posted the obligatory "What truck should I buy" general question that every newby asks?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Rookie

The Blitz is a great truck. My brother has one and it handles great and is lots of fun to drive. We both also have E-Firestorms. These trucks are so much more fun to drive with brushless systems installed.

If it were me, I'd go with the cheaper truck and put the 50 bucks toward a proper brushless setup. If you buy from hobbyking that nearly pays for the esc and motor right there. You can limp by with the cheapo radio but plan on getting a 2.4ghz in the future, especially if you end up racing.

The only thing the "upgrade" version has that is appealing to me is the waterproof receiver box. Even the HPI 2.4 radio (decent as it is) would eventually get the boot as I would prefer to get a better radio. The Futaba 3pl would be plenty.

Hope this helps in your decision!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gms2slo View Post
Hi,

I'm new to RC cars and specifically want to get into short course trucks. After months of research, browsing forums, talking to LHS, and attending local races, I have decided on spending my hard earned cash on HPI Blitz RTR 2wd truck. The only question I have is which Blitz to buy?

I have found a new (original) Blitz RTR with bat. and charger for $177.00 shipped to my door. I have also found a NEW Blitz RTR with bat and charger for $229.00 shipped to my door. If my info is correct, the changes include: 2.4 radio, new body, and waterproof electronics.

Initially, the truck will be used for bashing. If I get into it and enjoy driving, I may want to race it. My question is the extra $52 worth it? I could care less about the body. Waterproof electronics doesn't seem to be a breaking point. Maybe difference in radio is enough justification.

I am thinking of getting the cheaper one. If I decide to race, I will want to replace motor, esc, and probably radio anyway. What do you guys think?

Is the updated Blitz RTR worth an extra $52? Thanks for the anticipated help....
The Blitz is a great truck. I raced one for about a year. I would get the New version. The "original" RTR has really weak electronics. The servo is slow, the esc is non adjustable and has no reverse lockout. The motor is decent, but lacking in top end. It also comes with an AM radio, if memory serves. At least with the newer package you get a 2.4ghz radio. You could then sell the esc, servo and motor. You could use that $$ toward a decent SCT brushless setup from Castle for a decent price. You would have a heck of a lot more speed and could compete with that just fine if you decide to race later on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

My brother also bought the old rtr a while back and the stock electronics were not good. We went through two of them in 1 year. When we sent them back, they said it was faulty or something like that. They replaced both of them with no questions, but eventually he upgraded to a better system. So with all that said, I would get the new one. If you decide to race, the 2.4 radio will last you probably until you just want to get a new one. The waterproof electronics is also a bonus for the basher.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 225 (100%+)

If you don't care about the waterproof electronics then get the original. Forget using the stock battery and charger. Use the money you saved to help pay for a couple lipo packs and a charger that doesn't take 6 hrs to recharge.