Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help with ESc/motor choice >

Help with ESc/motor choice

Help with ESc/motor choice

Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Help with ESc/motor choice

I am getting ready to get back into 2wd buggy and a lot has changed since the last time I raced electric. I am looking to get some answers to the following questions:
what amp esc should I be looking for 1/10 racing (not 2wd specific) If I want to run 2wd, 4wd, or SC in the future, what would be the best choice amp wise.

sensored or sensorless ESC? what are the advantages or disadvanteges of each.

what is a good starting point for 2wd motors? I use to run mod buggy back in 2003/2004

what Mha batts are good to run now?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beidle99 View Post
I am getting ready to get back into 2wd buggy and a lot has changed since the last time I raced electric. I am looking to get some answers to the following questions:
what amp esc should I be looking for 1/10 racing (not 2wd specific) If I want to run 2wd, 4wd, or SC in the future, what would be the best choice amp wise.

sensored or sensorless ESC? what are the advantages or disadvanteges of each.

what is a good starting point for 2wd motors? I use to run mod buggy back in 2003/2004

what Mha batts are good to run now?

Thanks in advance.
For an ESC I would look at anything with a 60amp continous rating or better , most 1/10 ESC's are so its up too you and your budget to choose one .

Sensored , its smoother on the low end than an unsensored setup . And for motors if youre running stock then a 17.5T for mod I would run like a 10.5 and put a little timing into it .

batteries depend on how long you have to race , a lot of guys run 3800 or less for 5 minute heats/mains to keep the buggy light .
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the help. Should prove to be interesting racing once again. 2wd is such a pure from of off road racing, I just wish 4wd was more popular. To much to invest if no one shows up to race.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beidle99 View Post
Thanks for the help. Should prove to be interesting racing once again. 2wd is such a pure from of off road racing, I just wish 4wd was more popular. To much to invest if no one shows up to race.
Im with you , we have a small following in the 4WD class here but it is growing .

I love the power and speed 4WD has and I have a lead finger so 4WD suits me better .