Wiki Posts
Search

Gear diff Vs. Ball diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Ball diffs are very tunable, but probably MORE noticeable on higher traction tracks. The "range" you can run your ball diff is in-between these two points:

"Just barely tight enough to not slip" -to- "so tight the diff screw is bottomed out"

Every tiny bit of a turn inbeween these two points changes how much rotation you allow the car to have. The looser you run the diff, the easier the car will roll through the corners. Run the diff tighter, and if you have traction, the diff will actually provide resistance to turning. So in short, yes... run a loose diff for a lot of steering, or a tight diff to lock the rear end in (less steering).

totally and 100% completely wrong.
totally and 100% completely right.
The adjustment is so finite that if I actually feel the wrench "turn" the screw... it might be too much. Almost like a little more pressure is just right.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just wanna update my time with a gear diff on my b4.1. It's been months now and I have still been running a gear diff it's been doing great for me a lot of tuning had to be made but over all I am very pleased. I'm not the best driver but I have came out on top on more than a few occasions . Buddy of mine started runing his durango with gear diff and its awesome. Have fun guys
Old 08-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fullspeedallday
I 100% with this..i ran Strictly dirt oval and my fastest cars were gear differentials. when I applied power with the ball diff the car tended to push..when I did the same with a a gear diff the car stuck and turned on a dime...
You felt compelled to dig up a thread from 2 years ago to say that?

In offroad, you want the car to square up and go straight when you get on the throttle.

Being that oval is so one dimensional, it wouldn't be hard to run a ball diff to have the traction, and make suspension adjustments to make the car want to be able to turn on power. Two corners of close to the same radius and same direction, no jumps or elevation changes. Snore.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

the only thing I have a ball diff left in is my 2wd buggy starting Friday the d216 has a gear diff , cant wait to tune it and forget it ,my only fear is what is the next weakest link that will break .