Carpet Off-road Thread >

Carpet Off-road Thread

Like Tree434Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin

wide wedges.. crazy. The ticket to every track I’ve been to is the slim version. Did not even know there was a wide. Mini pin style rear is most popular as well. Pinpoint, Schumacher mini pin, whatever.
Yep. Depends on the carpet. Mini pins work good too.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Devin

wide wedges.. crazy. The ticket to every track I’ve been to is the slim version. Did not even know there was a wide. Mini pin style rear is most popular as well. Pinpoint, Schumacher mini pin, whatever.
Everyone I know struggles to get enough steering out of the WIDE wedge, certainly compared to the Schumacher LP cut-stagger in yellow. The UK team are working on setups for the Proline tires on carpet, bare with us .... we will get there.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Clip of out 13.5 Stadium Truck class from our Fall Brawl. PDX RC UnderGround.

MOmo

Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats a good looking track!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
What's the best 2WD Buggy tire combo as far as grip/wear?

Difficult to search when all you find is "sponsored" drivers whoring out their brand ��

Here's my unofficial review, indoor gray ozite (like in the stadium truck video above).

For buggy front, Schumacher Low Profile Cut Staggers on the front in yellow compound is pretty much the standard. At roughly $10 a pair they have great grip, last a reasonable amount of time, and offer predictable handling even when they wear. When you start to "push", replace 'em.

For buggy rear, I have tried Dboots Terrabyte, Schumacher Mini Pins, Pro Line Prizms, J Concepts Pin Downs, and Schumacher Cactus.
  • The dboots Terrabyte B compound work great, and before there was a "carpet tire" this was the go-to. If you have a track where there are a few slick surfaces thrown in like MDF or fiber board, this is where this tire shines. It will handle the slick surfaces well and perform on the carpet. However you can literally wear this tire out in like 3-6 battery packs.
  • The Mini Pins work great on carpet, and for a long time they were/are the standard, wear isn't so good, but better than the dBoots, and as they wear the rear loses its grip and becomes "loose" on gray ozite. They are a solid choice performance wise and they are inexpensive at roughly $12 pair. If you're new to carpet, and guys at your track are running these, definitely give them a shot.
  • The Pin Downs Pink Compound were so last year, they are a good tire with good wear characteristics and will last. I used quite a few of these early last season, and they were hard to get for a while. However the down side of this tire is its very rectangular profile and it's very tall sidewall (when compared to the dBoots, Prizms, and Schumachers). These make for a unique handling characterisitcs, IMO they traction roll easier than some of the other tires. They are completely overpriced at $19 pair, they were $15 a pair last year with foams.
  • The Prizms Z3 compound work well and wear even better, but they are like wet ice on any slick surface (MDF/fiber board) If your track is ALL carpet, then these are a great tire from cost/wear AND performance perspective. If guys are running these at your track, definitely worth a try.
  • The Cactus in yellow, for gray ozite, probably the best I've tried right now, and they are what I am using. They have great wear characteristics, probably the best wear characteristics of all these tires. It might have something to do with the sheer number of "spikes" on the tread. As they wear they fade, but they do so in a polite manner, instead of being loose, they begin to skid slightly under super hard braking. New they offer solid reliable performance and low cost at roughly $12 a pair. They have a low, rounded profile which makes for a great handling tire.
I am not sponsored, and I am a top 5 guy in the B main. All I race is indoor carpet, and I've been at it semi seriously for 4 seasons. These are my unfinished thoughts, experiences and opinions, your mileage may vary..
Robbob, turners dad, Devin and 1 others like this.

Last edited by BigChris in PA; 11-07-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

We made the transition to allowing Schumacher Cactus rear tires in yellow compound this year at a track I frequent for 2wd 17.5 Spec buggy. Front tire pretty much open as its a non-driving wheel. 4wd buggy by comparison we only allow slicks or similar clay compound or soft tires. Pretty much sauced with SXT 3.0.

From what we are seeing in comparison to what we had been running before, he cactus tires offer great bite but seem to drop off faster than say a slick tire that is starting to go. The trade off though is no saucing.

As for the Low Profile cut staggers they take away a lot of grip relative to a sauced clay slick here. Also as the surface can be more bumpy that what people are used to on carpet, on some jumps that go into a turn, they can dig into the carpet as you turn and some end up flipping. The slicks are more consistent in that regard.

All in all though, I think the carpet tires like cactus and low profile cut staggers are a good combo, just need to work on setup and driving styles a bit different versus than what we are used to for our surfaces.

Here are some vids of the last race, my vehicle in 4wd video position 2:

Troubles Dad likes this.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cactus on the rear give a very predictable off power steering feel. I think they are easier to push to the edge than the mini pin.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Nice, a carpet Offroad Thread!
A decent on road track opened up a new section.
Had to convert my B6.1D to a B6.1 (missing rear shocks and towers) but damn the car is fun to drive. It's the box 6.1 setup with brass bulkhead...

Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TLR 22.0 4.0 vs AE B6.1

Wanting to start 17.5 buggy racing what is a good chassis for carpet?
Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

I think all current cars from the top brands (Yokomo, Asso, XRay) are more than capable. Depents more on what people drive at the track (tips, tricks and parts) and your driving style.
I'd recomment the B6.1 - have the kit setup and a blast everytime I race it
Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by man1ac
I think all current cars from the top brands (Yokomo, Asso, XRay) are more than capable. Depents more on what people drive at the track (tips, tricks and parts) and your driving style.
I'd recomment the B6.1 - have the kit setup and a blast everytime I race it
I agree all the newest cars are capable. I have a b6 that still performs great
Old 11-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

I have a rc10t5m. Running Schumacher Mini Pin back and stagger Front. What do you recommend to stop flipping over in turns ?
JCG1 likes this.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wothrottle
I have a rc10t5m. Running Schumacher Mini Pin back and stagger Front. What do you recommend to stop flipping over in turns ?
Probably not tire related. You could try trimming the outer row on the mini pins. Adjustments are likely your best bet. Lower rideheight, use sway bars if available for your ride, mount the rear camber link lower on the shock tower. Stiffer springs? Not entirely sure about that last one. Worked for me outdoors. Tune out excess steering travel on your remote, if any. (I.e. my old Durango at full travel could turn upon itself).
Old 11-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

There's some EOS setups for the T5M, I tried one and it was pretty good. Can't remember which one exactly but it had ery stiff (6#?) Durango springs up front. I was running swaggers with the full outer row of nubs glued.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:48 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for the hints . will try this

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.