Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Carpet Off-road Thread >

Carpet Off-road Thread

Like Tree35Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

carpet racers.. carpet track SCVRC I race at close down so all my brand new stash of carpet tires are for sale or for trade.
check it. TRADE/SELL: NIP Carpet Tires/Inserts FOR NIP Clay Tires

This is SCVRC carpet track that closed down.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCG1 View Post
Hello, is it common and advisable to have large differences between front and rear droop?
I measured the bottom of the chassis at the point where the tires are just about to loose contact with the ground. I then subtract ride height and these are the droop results I get (mm):

Rear:
38 Distance at max extension
17 Ride Height
21 Droop

Front:
29 Distance at max extension
16 Ride Height
13 Droop

The question: Is this difference between front and rear droop adequate?
I run a carpet set up that suggests down-travel limiters in the front shocks, and none in the rear, so the lower front droop was to be expected.

Your comments and insights are appreciated.

Thx

Droop is measured from screw to screw on the shocks. Start with what others are running at your track.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Carpet off road in King, NC

Hey guys, My name is Dustin but I go by Fluffy. I am the race director at The Rug in King, NC. We are a indoor facility that races 1/10th carpet oval and off road. We also have a high banked concrete tri oval that we race on during the summer! You can find us on Facebook by searching Smith Built RC Hobbies and Raceway.
Hope to see you at the track soon!
Antimullet likes this.

Last edited by King_Fluffy; 01-14-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 01-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey all! After a 25 year hiatus, I'm getting back in the game!!! (Yes, I'm old!) I'm going from Team Associated RC10T land to an Xray XB2C. I'm going to be racing carpet off-road during the winter and Astro-turf in the summer. I went buggy because the local place only has one class for stadium trucks, but 5 classes for buggies. Anyway...here is why I've gathered you all here today. The NEW world of ESC's, Motors, batteries and chargers has me baffled. To start out, I want to run novice and stock. My local place says I must run a 17.5t motor and my ESC must be in blinky mode...whatever the heck that means. My ESC and motor must also be ROAR approved. SO...as I've already spent a small boat load on my kit, tools, radio and etc., can you guys help me out with an inexpensive setup for a motor, ESC and battery that won't break the bank and could also put me on the podium? If you can throw in a suggestion or two for chargers, that would also be great! And what is the deal with putting batteries in bags to charge now?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all! After 25 years out of the game (yes, I'm old) I'm coming back! As you may have guessed, A LOT has changed! So, while I have everyone's attention, I'm hoping you can help me out with a few things.

Details:
What am I running? Xray XB2C
Where am I running? Local indoor carpet off-road track in the winter and I believe AstroTurf in the summer. I'm in North Puget sound in WA state.
Classes? Probably start with novice and stock and eventually hit open.

Needs: (Trying not to break the bank as I'm already in big)
Budget:$500-700
ESC...apparently needs to be in "Blinky mode". What ever that means. Didn't have that 25 years ago! Needs to be ROAR approved as well. Hobbywing? Reedy? Maclan?
Motor...HOLY CRAP!!! How many different motors are out now? I can remember like 5 companies that did motors! Anyway, I believe I need to be at 17.5t to be legal for stock. Some suggestions for Open would be nice as well for a few months down the road. Also ROAR approved.
Batteries...I'd like one for quals and one for main event at the least. Is ProTek any good? If not, what company has the longest lasting batteries?
Chargers...Here is where my eyes bugged out of my head. There are about 25x more chargers today than 25 years ago. And now there's single, dual, quad as well as memory modes and balanced charging and etc., etc. This gets my head spinning. What's a good inexpensive one? I was thinking a ProTek Prodigy 610ez or HiTec RDX1 Pro. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I'll be sure to give a shout out to any help on my first podium speech!

THANKS!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

Thinking of using a Xray XB4 19my as a 2wd by removing the front driveline (on EOS carpet). I would use 4wd width front wheels / tyres. Anyone tried this?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I use to run on hard packed clay tracks but not everything is carpet. Is it necessary to punch out a hole in the tires like you would in dirt/clay tracks? Im running 2wd buggy if that matters
Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AntH3000 View Post
Thinking of using a Xray XB4 19my as a 2wd by removing the front driveline (on EOS carpet). I would use 4wd width front wheels / tyres. Anyone tried this?

Seen a guy doing this successfully but I believe he ran the 2w front widths. He was competitive.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rsxskyd View Post
I use to run on hard packed clay tracks but not everything is carpet. Is it necessary to punch out a hole in the tires like you would in dirt/clay tracks? Im running 2wd buggy if that matters

I punch the holes in the rims for carpet only. My logic is that no dirt or moisture will get into them anyways, plus if you sauce itís harder for the sauce to get to the foam inserts and break them down if there is no holes in the tires.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Default Front wings

I am way late to the front wing party, judging by the pics from the last race. Finding front and narrow wings when I shop online. What are most people using? B6.1.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post

I punch the holes in the rims for carpet only. My logic is that no dirt or moisture will get into them anyways, plus if you sauce itís harder for the sauce to get to the foam inserts and break them down if there is no holes in the tires.
Thank you!

Closed or open cell in the rears? Im seeing people suggest open but i also see suggestions for closed. I know everyone runs no foam in the front.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rsxskyd View Post
Thank you!

Closed or open cell in the rears? Im seeing people suggest open but i also see suggestions for closed. I know everyone runs no foam in the front.
There is an article on A Main hobbies from Mr. Schumacher who says that on carpet you use open cell on carpet. I have preferred open cells this year when I did that instead.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi,

The tyres used on carpet are very stiff compared to dirt tyres. So you need the open cell foam so that the tyre can flex a little.
A closed cell foam will make it a near solid tyre.

MiCk B. :-)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Devin View Post

There is an article on A Main hobbies from Mr. Schumacher who says that on carpet you use open cell on carpet. I have preferred open cells this year when I did that instead.
Originally Posted by MiCk B View Post
Hi,

The tyres used on carpet are very stiff compared to dirt tyres. So you need the open cell foam so that the tyre can flex a little.
A closed cell foam will make it a near solid tyre.

MiCk B. :-)
Thank you guys, I definitely need to check that article out and read up.

That makes more sense when you put it that way, thank you!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

with closed cell on carpet pins, noticed fast wear on the pins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service