Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree452Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

depends on the tires, sometimes trimming rows of pins off with get rid of a bit of grip which can help.

I ran a borrowed 4wd last week with barcodes and a lot of sauce and it had a lot of grip, but probably not as much as mini pins. Our track is looking into a spec tires as our carpet has a lot of wear and especially after our big race it isn't looking so good, so sometime around next year we will probably no longer be running mini pins. We'll see what the outcome of that is and go from there.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
depends on the tires, sometimes trimming rows of pins off with get rid of a bit of grip which can help.

I ran a borrowed 4wd last week with barcodes and a lot of sauce and it had a lot of grip, but probably not as much as mini pins. Our track is looking into a spec tires as our carpet has a lot of wear and especially after our big race it isn't looking so good, so sometime around next year we will probably no longer be running mini pins. We'll see what the outcome of that is and go from there.
Yeah our local track owner is finding out that the more agressive tires are killing his brand new CRC ozite carpet...If things dont get checked soon the carpet will be so trashed it wont matter what tire you run.so much carpet fuzz right now that after a 5 minute run friday i couldnt even see my cvd shafts because they were wadded up with carpet fuzz.Not too much of a big deal for the off roaders, but he is trying to get a pan car class together for oval racing ...fuzzy carpet = not so good for high speed oval...
Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've never been much of a fan of ozite for any situation. Most of our local tracks have (and still do) use a tight-pack office-style carpet which is much more resiliant to wear and tear, still has great grip and doesn't create any fuzz. Heck, at one old local track, the carpet was 10 years old, would flood every time it rained and it was still in perfect shape once we vacuumed it up, every single week. Granted, we've run mostly off-road on the tracks but the oval pan cars never had any issues on the stuff either. The surface under the carpet matters much more than the carpet itself for on-road racing as far as things staying flat and level.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

How about we bump this thread back up to the top. New track layout at our carpet track. Www.ptraceway.com
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DAVE BERNATH
What tires do you guys use for stadium truck, we don't use foam where we race and have found the losi slider rear gore work GREAT.
For stadium truck when running rubber tires are people using the standard compound Slider rears or the hard?

Also has anyone tried the ProLine Speed Hawg tires?

Thanks, Keith.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd run shumacher stagger rib fronts and mini pin rear, both in yellow compound, if you need more steering, go with mini pins in the front.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kghills
For stadium truck when running rubber tires are people using the standard compound Slider rears or the hard?

Also has anyone tried the ProLine Speed Hawg tires?

Thanks, Keith.
I can't speak for the losi tires as I haven't used them but I would pass on the proline street tires, they work sometimes but its hard to get them to be consistent. I run proline holeshots on the rear and panther ribbed in the front and the truck is consistent from week to week and I never have to use any traction compound.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
I'd run shumacher stagger rib fronts and mini pin rear, both in yellow compound, if you need more steering, go with mini pins in the front.
Originally Posted by olds45512
I can't speak for the losi tires as I haven't used them but I would pass on the proline street tires, they work sometimes but its hard to get them to be consistent. I run proline holeshots on the rear and panther ribbed in the front and the truck is consistent from week to week and I never have to use any traction compound.
Interesting, I had not thought of a small pin in the rear. Our club http://www.marcca.com has run foam tired Stadium trucks for years on the carpet. A number of us want to give rubber tires a go. I tried the blue BarCodes we us on clay a try a few months ago and they had almost too much traction causing traction roll at high speeds. Thought the a lower tire might keep the center of gravity lower.

Thanks, Keith.

Last edited by kghills; 02-16-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At the new carpet offroad track in Newton Falls, OH, the carpet is Lowes indoor/outdoor carpet. Yellow mini-pins and cut-stagger rib front tires still work the best on 2wd buggies. SC10 RTR Kit tires work the best on 4wd SCT trucks.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

I think our carpet is Fastlaps? I think it says on the MARCCA web sit(I fixed the link above) I know for SCT 2wd the tire combo of choice is Kyosho kit fronts and Blitz kit rears. And they were out after a winter of racing.

Keith.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

what are you guys using to sauce the stock 2wd / 4wd SC10 tires? Those worked really well here, I may order another set just for the SC10 4x4 on carpet.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
what are you guys using to sauce the stock 2wd / 4wd SC10 tires? Those worked really well here, I may order another set just for the SC10 4x4 on carpet.
The tires of choice on our carpet track are Kyosho fronts and Blitz rears. Most guys will use Paragon on the rears cleaning them with motor spray.

Keith.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Sticky kicks on stock sc10 tires worked great for me. I mainly used the blanco "flavor" and treat the tires prior to every other practice run/heat. Clean the tires with simple green at the end of the day/next day, treat them and bag them to store. The best part of using the SC10 tires is that they get better as they wear.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thanks for the info.

How is the smell?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

thanks for the info.

How is the smell?
Mild - kind of a sweet/fruit type scent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.