Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Carpet Off-road Thread >

Carpet Off-road Thread

Like Tree35Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I haven't run on a carpet track in over 20 years. It was kind of fun but as pointed out very different than dirt. I had issues traction rolling. Back then I ran smaller diameter on road foam tires and just re-geared. It too wasn't always the best option but it stopped the traction rolling. I was also a kid on a limited budget and had an RC10L so I used what I had. I'd be curious to drive on carpet again to try to figure out what it likes.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I had a very first good outing on carpet with the losi SCB last night.For tires I ended up running the stock Losi eclipse tires with the tread "ghost pinned" to almost slicks.I was saucing the R and just the inside half of the fronts..I tqed Mod SC by 3 laps
Old 10-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well down south they have an offroad carpet track.
I'll probably race down there with my SC10 a few times this winter.
Much different than dirt. And they have a vac cleaner to clean your car off.
Carpet fuzz is apparent, it helps to have brushless to keep the fuzz outa your motor. They plan on runnning carpet oval as well.
I run my stock SC10 tires on carpet as well, they work better on carpet than dirt.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

at rc plus in oregon where i race on tuesday nights the best way to go to is team epic foams all they way around. along with sauce on the rear. some guys have found that running kyosho ultima tires on the front give them more steering. but down at todds rc in eugene they have sections of different styles of carpet so the stock tires off an sc10 or the kyoshos tires are the best and cheapest way to go. no need to spend 30 bucks for a set of soft tires to have them wear down at the end of the night.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

unless running oval I think the best way to go is rubber. foams are a little unpredictable on the road course.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

After doing a bit of talking locally, people have tried the whole bar type tire thing on carpet when we first started. It seems some on here says it works, but no one local has got it anything close to what mini pins can do, barcodes don't have enough grip, where as mini pins stick like glue. A couple locals have tried dboots like some run in the UK but they're soft like a dirt tire and are shot after 2 heats vs 4 nights on the shumachers. I hear someone might be trying ballistic tires soon as well, but as of now no one has found anything better then yellow mini pins for grip, the dboots are as good but don't last. I'm still running my short 22 and its been working very well.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My experience on carpet over the past 7 years has been that the cheap "garbage" tires that come on a lot of rtr's have garnered the best results in terms of consistency, grip and tire life for me personally. For SC trucks, I really like the stock Kyosho SC tires and stock SC10 tires - a lot of the local guys insist on running M3 Calibers in SC, but they slide like ice on the wooden ramps and it's blatantly obvious when the tail end kicks out going up the ramp. The RTR compounds, for whatever reason, grip and actually screech on the wood from so much grip. Back when we ran monster trucks, I ran tires off of a New-Bright truck because they were the lightest, shortest v-tread tire available but also because they were very consistent compared to stock stampede/wheely king tires.

So in reality, the tire compound matters a lot more than the tread style in my opinion. If you can find a compound similar to the Kyosho or AE RTR tires or the Losi Slider tires as mentioned above, they really are the ticket for non-ozite carpet racing.

I personally prefer dirt over carpet because you have to make the right choice in tires for each race and it doesn't just come down to who has the most practice time, but the ease of carpet has its advantages too, such as learning how to find your limits with a vehicle and how to keep a car running on edge for a full heat without going over that edge.

Last edited by carcrusher46; 10-31-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ran the Proline Switch tires I bought here on RcTech. They are great before Paragon, AWESOME after. Try those on carpet. Running them on a sc10.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run at the same track that ostach24 and carcrusher race at. My t4 likes proline holeshot on the rear and panther ribs in the front. On my b4 I run goosebumps in the rear and proline 4 rib in the front and it stick like velcro, sometimes I almost wish I had less traction lol. I agree with ostach, I like carpet off road for the consistency.

Last edited by olds45512; 11-01-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Maybe it depends on the type of carpet you run on as well but where I live we all use Schumacher Mini Pins in either yellow or blue compound. Some of the 2wd buggy guys use stagger ribs or cut stagger ribs in the same compound for the front. No ozite for us up here, only cheapo nylon carpet. Ozite is the best as it has no directional weave to it but it is expensive and gets ruined easily by the landings off the jumps from buggies and trucks. The Schumi's are of a much harder compound than normal dirt tires so they last longer for us. Here's a 2wd A main from our local track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWZQBiAQrCg
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

that look s like a nice turn out there. Ill try to get 2wd truck and buggy videos this week. I am tired of looking at the same old videos we have of sc.

As far as dirt or carpet usually best driver is the one with the most practice/experience. Professional racers dont just show up on race day, they practice and race as much as they can that way they dont lose the edge. I know i couldnt jump in the car and run 220 with the indy guys.

Compound has a lot to do with traction as well. my sliders dont have any problem on the jumps with or without compound, but this makes sense, more surface area to grab the more agressive the tire the less overal surface hitting the ground so it slides on the ramps at our place... with a little sauce it isnt a problem.

I never tried the s tires in yellow compound, how long do they usually last for you?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morati View Post
Maybe it depends on the type of carpet you run on as well but where I live we all use Schumacher Mini Pins in either yellow or blue compound. Some of the 2wd buggy guys use stagger ribs or cut stagger ribs in the same compound for the front. No ozite for us up here, only cheapo nylon carpet. Ozite is the best as it has no directional weave to it but it is expensive and gets ruined easily by the landings off the jumps from buggies and trucks. The Schumi's are of a much harder compound than normal dirt tires so they last longer for us. Here's a 2wd A main from our local track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWZQBiAQrCg
How come some of those guys were running mid motor but on dirt everyone runs rear motor?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

carpet guys are smart... car is much better balanced and it drives amazing mid set up. on carpet it is more noticeable. think about it you done have any race cars with the engines hanging out of the back like the rcs...
they say you get better traction rear, and mid cant keep up but i say bs. I ran outside mid and rear and i was faster with mid. indoors i was significantly faster. for me rear wants to either push rear bad or slide around on dirt. mid it goes where you want to go. If they need more traction add a little weight to the car overall. mod motors have so much power a little weight wont hurt when you get the balance of the mid set up, you can drive the car faster through the corners and have the control to not worry about wrecking.
My opinion is guys are so used to one thing they dont want to change. the 22 mid felt like my b44.1 I just hate losi quality so i switched back to kyosho with bbs, and i am not as fast, but i have same brand and amazing above the rest quality.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ostach24 View Post
carpet guys are smart... car is much better balanced and it drives amazing mid set up. on carpet it is more noticeable. think about it you done have any race cars with the engines hanging out of the back like the rcs...
they say you get better traction rear, and mid cant keep up but i say bs. I ran outside mid and rear and i was faster with mid. indoors i was significantly faster. for me rear wants to either push rear bad or slide around on dirt. mid it goes where you want to go. If they need more traction add a little weight to the car overall. mod motors have so much power a little weight wont hurt when you get the balance of the mid set up, you can drive the car faster through the corners and have the control to not worry about wrecking.
My opinion is guys are so used to one thing they dont want to change. the 22 mid felt like my b44.1 I just hate losi quality so i switched back to kyosho with bbs, and i am not as fast, but i have same brand and amazing above the rest quality.
It always seemed to me that mid motor would be the way to go. All the fast guys are running rear motor. Yeah you will say, "They would go faster if they ran mid motor." Maybe you're right, but I can't tell because I have a B4.1 and there is no easy mid motor option. O well.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

the xfactory kit allows you to bolt your b4.1 stuff on to their kit to make it mid. give it a try. also you wont get the right set up out of the box and it will be different than your rear set up, but i think it is worth a try.

I am not sure if it would help or hurt them. id think it would help, but the top 3 guys are so good with what they got they dont need to switch. they all run with each other and switching to mid would mean countless hours and money testing and tuning the car which isnt really practical when they are that good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service