Like Tree482Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Hereís the 4w main from Sunday at MMR3

https://youtu.be/bci7_Ibp5l4?si=BRG4P463xzNnJgxX
RE: the stripped gears in the beginning of the video. Those gears will keep stripping on carpet with a slipper on the B74.1 or .2. For that reason we run a center diff with 2M oil, HTC plastic gears.

The diff is also much lighter than the slipper, and you can go one step further and run the MOD puck center driveline when using the diff - great for 13.5.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrLean
RE: the stripped gears in the beginning of the video. Those gears will keep stripping on carpet with a slipper on the B74.1 or .2. For that reason we run a center diff with 2M oil, HTC plastic gears.

The diff is also much lighter than the slipper, and you can go one step further and run the MOD puck center driveline when using the diff - great for 13.5.
I got 90 races from them. I will switch. I’d honestly forgotten front gears were still plastic. One of these times I’ve gotta try the center diff again. It came with it, but felt weird. So switched to the slipper I was more used to
Old 06-07-2024, 06:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Here’s the layout for the JConcepts race. I’m not at this one. Little more open to multiple day races after last weekend when it’s the only option to get to a track. I’ve got plenty of other days to race at Island.
Old 06-09-2024, 09:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Trip #6 to Rug Burnerz

staiguy likes this.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

I got 90 races from them. I will switch. Iíd honestly forgotten front gears were still plastic. One of these times Iíve gotta try the center diff again. It came with it, but felt weird. So switched to the slipper I was more used to
That's probably about 80 more races than I got haha.

The HTC strip on the back like that, the LTC plastic gears chip on the teeth. LTC only lasted one battery pack for me.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Red face

Originally Posted by MrLean
That's probably about 80 more races than I got haha.

The HTC strip on the back like that, the LTC plastic gears chip on the teeth. LTC only lasted one battery pack for me.
I shattered the rear diff plastic gears first time out. Previous owner ran mostly clay. Front gears just keep going. I knew something wasnít right with how it was running. But could figure out what. Then when I went to heat tires before heat, i suddenly noticed my buggy was basically a 3 wheel drive
River19 likes this.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I shattered the rear diff plastic gears first time out. Previous owner ran mostly clay. Front gears just keep going. I knew something wasnít right with how it was running. But could figure out what. Then when I went to heat tires before heat, i suddenly noticed my buggy was basically a 3 wheel drive
That is a helpless feeling right before a heat, but at least you figured it out.
Old 06-10-2024, 02:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by River19
That is a helpless feeling right before a heat, but at least you figured it out.
Yeah. Took longer than it should have. Just didnít cross my mind. It was jumping right, just looked off. I assumed it was the unusual ramps.
MrLean likes this.
Old 06-10-2024, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah. Took longer than it should have. Just didnít cross my mind. It was jumping right, just looked off. I assumed it was the unusual ramps.
And while it is awesome you are traveling to hit a bunch of tracks it may also make it difficult to notice things like that as it "could" be a certain new track condition.

Running the same track all the time, while boring, certainly can make it really obvious when something is wonky.......

Glad you found it. Best of luck going forward.

Keep the pics and reports coming, love to see all the variety of tracks
Old 06-11-2024, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

With plastic gears building the diff correctly is even more important, forget how many shims the manual says and use what that particular assembly requires. There should be minimal, but some, backlash in the mesh when everything is built dry. Keep swapping out shims until you get to that point then everything will be golden.
Lots of people using the plastic gears on bumpy high(ish) grip astro tracks in the UK where we only run modified and I have never seen a properly built diff fail yet.

Not trying to be rude but I see so many people who only ever use whatever shims are recommended in the manual, I will say though that AE needs to put a note in the manuals to say that is a starting point only and to adjust as required before getting any lube on the teeth.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by River19
And while it is awesome you are traveling to hit a bunch of tracks it may also make it difficult to notice things like that as it "could" be a certain new track condition.

Running the same track all the time, while boring, certainly can make it really obvious when something is wonky.......

Glad you found it. Best of luck going forward.

Keep the pics and reports coming, love to see all the variety of tracks
On a scale of 1-10. I’d put my buggys, at best a 4-5. I know there things wrong. Just don’t know what’s not right or what to fix. Basically it always feels the same, no matter what I do

I have 5 tracks on my list, 4 new states. One I get the feeling will unfortunately end their off road program before I get there. Only started it 3 months ago, but numbers are making the rent for that track. And we know summer is a struggle for most indoor tracks

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 06-11-2024 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RogerM
With plastic gears building the diff correctly is even more important, forget how many shims the manual says and use what that particular assembly requires. There should be minimal, but some, backlash in the mesh when everything is built dry. Keep swapping out shims until you get to that point then everything will be golden.
Lots of people using the plastic gears on bumpy high(ish) grip astro tracks in the UK where we only run modified and I have never seen a properly built diff fail yet.

Not trying to be rude but I see so many people who only ever use whatever shims are recommended in the manual, I will say though that AE needs to put a note in the manuals to say that is a starting point only and to adjust as required before getting any lube on the teeth.
I never learned how to shim a diff. Iíve always just run them as the previous owner had them. Most of the buggys Iíve owned where previous owned by drivers I know are better at setup then I am
Old 06-11-2024, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RogerM

Thanks, I never thought to shim the internal diff gears differently, it's worth a shot.

I think the high-grip of carpet is what does it though. I also ran all plastic HTC gears for 2 years or so (B74 and 74.1) with slipper on Astro with no issues. Ran about 3 months with the LTC plastic also when they were released, no issues.

The next pack on carpet with the LTC and they were chipped (new track just opened with brand new carpet, so super high grip).
Old Today, 05:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Back to Rug Burnerz Sunday. I’ve tried to avoid running layouts mire then once this year. But I kinda like this one. This turn has been a traction roll spot for me since wheeler. Especially with new tires. Tried mod 2w Sunday. I’ve run in mod at bigger tracks. But not as n a small track. Done practice before here, but my mod 2w wasn’t good https://youtu.be/AndwhPhAN2M?si=6KaBPDFmSw-j8JbZ

River19 likes this.