Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is RC pricing itself out of the Market? >

Is RC pricing itself out of the Market?

Is RC pricing itself out of the Market?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RC is cheap. Sure getting started is a chunk of money but maintaining the cars is almost nothing. Spare parts, tires, you can spend that just getting lunch at a McDonalds. It just gets expensive if you lack the control to buy only what you need.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
RC is cheap. Sure getting started is a chunk of money but maintaining the cars is almost nothing. Spare parts, tires, you can spend that just getting lunch at a McDonalds. It just gets expensive if you lack the control to buy only what you need.
I have to agree. Buying all the stuff you need to start (batteries, chargers, heat gun etc.) costs a bit, but once it's going if you only fix broken things and buy necessary upgrades. It isn't too expensive.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

This whole discussion is so funny, and it reminds me of what someone said a long time ago. "If you find this hobby expensive maybe it's time to reevaluate what you're doing and your budget, so you can find something more in your price range like needlepoint or crocheting."
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Let me put it this way

I know Rc isn't by far the most expensive of hobbies.... maybe one of the most valuable for the buck , in terms of re-sale value & fun wise

if you look at prices from the 1980's up to now for what we got in 2011/12 ?? lipos , brushless, 30 40 mins of run time? 2.4ghz controller that can send a space shuttle in space? & still control it.... it's a pretty good bargain

BUT!.....
here's the but

I have no diploma so i know alot about fighting for every penny! , Jobs are hard to find & keep , everything rises up exept your salary ,

Yet we get taxes like crazy , our roads are broken down , our cars needs twice as much repairs , grocery has never been so expensive
Gas $ is insane!!!! , get taxed more on shipping buying selling on ebay , everywhere people dig more & more

Yet..... still at the same salary? how does that make sens... anyways
rich are getting richer & poor getting poorer ....

this is the only reason rc seems ''expensive''

if everything in this world would be like it's supposed to be & stopped being butt fu---- for every penny

Everything would be enjoyable!

rc compagnies aren't the ones responsible for that .... they just follow the tendancies i cannot blame them for that

when i complain about buying a kit for 300$ barebone
I can always sleep at peace after looking at my Dental repair bill............ ^,^
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by michaelpaul74 View Post
. I remember racing at the summer sizzler in Tacoma at the B&I and I TQ'd the novice class.
man oh man you just sent me down nostalgia lane. i been to and remember B&I. there was a shop there where i use to get baseball cards and when i visited mom there back 2001 i got an ichiro bobble head there.i lived out in olalla during those days
Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Great thread with some great comments. One thing I think you guys are missing though is the basher, the backyard driver.

I started out in the early 90's coming from the Nikko/Tyco toy-grade to a stampede (which I still have even!). And there is a mountain of difference there on many levels. Entry cost was/is alot higher, batteries (usually the one that came with it only, and a 4hr charger at that!), and there was zero maintenance.

Since I was paying my own way racing was out of the question from a price stand point ($10/week from oddjobs/allowance). I watch the older guys race and I practiced during quiet times but past that I was on the side lines. Even now I'm still a basher first and "race" with some guys from time to time after work on fridays (nothing organized, its whos in front is winning).

With that jump to hobby grade though you do have a trade off, hop-ups, repairs, and longer life and higher speed. You also need to learn about setups, proper maintenance (diffs and shocks), BODIES, tires, etc etc.

And thats where the price compare come from. It's not necessarily fair or correct but thats how parents/spouces/friends that arent involved see it. They see R/C's advertised for $20-$50 and thats what they expect, so when we say something in the hundreds or thousands(!) range its a splash of cold water.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
I have to aggree. I have 4 nitros and other then gas and the occasional spare part it's pretty cheap. But I just bought my first ever brushless set up and WOW my wallet is on fire and I just bought the basics to get started.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

RC is not cheap. I'll agree with that. But a few years ago I was cursed with an addiction which makes even 1/1 scale cars cheap. Luckily Ive replaced that with RC's! But Ive aquired a decent collection for not "that" much. Shure Ive dropped $300 once, $125 here, $50 there and so on. But the key is to trade, buy used and wait for the right deal. I started with a mini Revo and a Evader BX. Hopped them up and traded them. Since then I bought a used Speed T and a EXT2. I now have a really nice RC collection.
Flux HP, RPMed Brushless E Maxx, brushless Hyper 10TT, Brushless EXT2 and a mini Revo. And a Stampede VXL. Aww..I just sold a Stampede 4x4 with a MMP, 1410 SCT Castle motor and Hitec 5645 installed. So if you wait, buy used and bargin the right way you can go far. Im not saying I havent spent $1000's on motors, radios, hop ups, etc. But I got a 5645 for $20 shipped, a Savox 1258tg NIP for a AE 2.4 stock radio in trade. Then swapped the Savox and a little cash for a MMP. Good deals are out there! Payed $50 for my Fux motor!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Agreed. Most of my current cars have been acquired used or in trade. Makes a huge difference and let's me try out alot of different cars and still keep some money in my pocket.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCaddict0 View Post
RC is not cheap. I'll agree with that. But a few years ago I was cursed with an addiction which makes even 1/1 scale cars cheap. Luckily Ive replaced that with RC's! But Ive aquired a decent collection for not "that" much. Shure Ive dropped $300 once, $125 here, $50 there and so on. But the key is to trade, buy used and wait for the right deal. I started with a mini Revo and a Evader BX. Hopped them up and traded them. Since then I bought a used Speed T and a EXT2. I now have a really nice RC collection.
Flux HP, RPMed Brushless E Maxx, brushless Hyper 10TT, Brushless EXT2 and a mini Revo. And a Stampede VXL. Aww..I just sold a Stampede 4x4 with a MMP, 1410 SCT Castle motor and Hitec 5645 installed. So if you wait, buy used and bargin the right way you can go far. Im not saying I havent spent $1000's on motors, radios, hop ups, etc. But I got a 5645 for $20 shipped, a Savox 1258tg NIP for a AE 2.4 stock radio in trade. Then swapped the Savox and a little cash for a MMP. Good deals are out there! Payed $50 for my Fux motor!
Wow!! Our stories are very similar. I started out with an old Rustler. I fixed up the Rustler and sold it,flipped a few other kits I bought on ebay. Now I have a Tmaxx,Nitro 4 tec, Kyosho MP777, and a Hyper 10tt.
It's great when you see a fixer upper on ebay or wherever and you know you can clean it up and get twice what you paid.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
I've been thinking about building a 4x4 SC and I can't bring myself to spending over grand on one of the current race rigs (it will be a secondary car) with the economy taking a dump and the cost of everything going up the side effects are really hitting hobby level! I mean C'mon I'm having a hard time getting over spending $360 just a ESC AND MOTOR.

Does anyone else feel like this hobby is starting to over price the fun factor?
One of the reason for the price for a esc combo is the price of rare earth metals used in motors,all brands will have to adjust for this.