Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is RC pricing itself out of the Market? >

Is RC pricing itself out of the Market?

Is RC pricing itself out of the Market?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Prices have gone down not up. If you can't buy new buy used and at any rate you can get a competitive 4x4 sc brand new with a sensored esc and motor 2 packs and a few sets of tires for under a grand new (that is with a great servo and a radio and charger)

If 4x4 sc is too much hate to see what you think of nitro LOL even that has gotten somewhat less expensive..
Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I see the original questions coming true not in the big ticket items but the compiled cost of smaller items (batteries, driveshafts, fluids, tires/rims, etc). These small items cost less but are marked up much higher than the large items (ex. monster cable). The constant nature of the need for tires and spare parts can take quite a considerable toll.

Yes, you can compile a SC 4x4 package for under a grand. However, you cannot afford to have all the necessary maintenance items, extra tires, more than one battery, and replacement parts without a large additional cost.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

+1, way cheaper now!

Look used... I just got a used SCTE with motor and speedo for less than $350 shipped! Just need a servo (have a few kickin around) and a battery and I am good to go! Not to include lipo power is crazy and no maintenence on them or motors... Brushless is so easy! No turning comms or discharging NiMH packs and trays... Just charge lipo and go... Super long run times are nice too...

RC is so much more fun now! On top of the better bang for your buck!
Wanna talk about crazy expensive.. Look into a nitro truggy! $100 for a set of tires... yeah!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

I have bought used cars and trucks and wished I would have bought new. They ended up costing me more. Just my opinion. The price is about the same as 10years ago but I don't think the quality is.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slasn_48 View Post
I have bought used cars and trucks and wished I would have bought new. They ended up costing me more. Just my opinion. The price is about the same as 10years ago but I don't think the quality is.
I have bought quite a few used cars, only been burned once... But if you buy used expecting to do some maintenence... It can be a good way to get a good deal!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
I've been thinking about building a 4x4 SC and I can't bring myself to spending over grand on one of the current race rigs (it will be a secondary car) with the economy taking a dump and the cost of everything going up the side effects are really hitting hobby level! I mean C'mon I'm having a hard time getting over spending $360 just a ESC AND MOTOR.

Does anyone else feel like this hobby is starting to over price the fun factor?
Yes, kind of....if you're a guy that wants the best of the best. Too many guys with more money than brains in this hobby that buy whatever cool aid their fav driver is selling on the cover of the rc mag. It's what's allowing the market to charge what they charge. You want all that stuff that you listed above....hey, that's your issues.

Here is how you have fun in this hobby....

Used sc10-100 shipped
Used Stock spec SP and 17.5-80
4 40c hard cased 4000mah from HK-80
HK charger. 40

300 dollars......I had less than that in my slash and had the time of my life...
Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

when people ask me what my hobby is and i tell them, the first question they ask is how much. i sit there and think for a few seconds even though i know the answer, and i tell them i got $1500 into my 1/8 scale. they always say something like, holy $hit that is expensive. then i tell them i have $1200 in tires, which i do, and who knows how much in everything else like tools, carrying case, lights, all the misc stuff.

i remember this one day a couple years ago like it happened 5 minutes ago. this guy asked me and i told him. he about crapped his pants. in fact i think he did. i asked him how much the aluminum heads on his small block that was mounted in his "me to" mustang cost. needless to say the conversation ended immediately.

yes r/c may be getting pricey but find me some other form of racing that is cheaper and just as much fun. IT DOESNT EXIST! if i cared about how much this hobby costs i would be spending the money turning my ranger into a pre-runner. well there is a reason it is still bone stock.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Solidd33 View Post
I see the original questions coming true not in the big ticket items but the compiled cost of smaller items (batteries, driveshafts, fluids, tires/rims, etc). These small items cost less but are marked up much higher than the large items (ex. monster cable). The constant nature of the need for tires and spare parts can take quite a considerable toll.

Yes, you can compile a SC 4x4 package for under a grand. However, you cannot afford to have all the necessary maintenance items, extra tires, more than one battery, and replacement parts without a large additional cost.
Foolishness. In case you missed the memo or history lesson, people have been in the need for spare parts, tires, and batteries since the dawn of time.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaycerc View Post
Foolishness. In case you missed the memo or history lesson, people have been in the need for spare parts, tires, and batteries since the dawn of time.
Yes, these items are always needed. I'm unsure what you're pointing out with your "foolishness" comment.

My statement addressed the cost of RC and how the original poster questioned the cost of the core components whilst I drew attention to the small items that through regular need can quickly overtake the initial cost of completing a build.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Solidd33 View Post
Yes, these items are always needed. I'm unsure what you're pointing out with your "foolishness" comment.

My statement addressed the cost of RC and how the original poster questioned the cost of the core components whilst I drew attention to the small items that through regular need can quickly overtake the initial cost of completing a build.
Maybe I don't understand what you were trying to say, but those "compiled cost of smaller items" have always been there. Never changed, never will.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Cant put a price on my fun which equals my sanity.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Solidd33 you are so right.If you were to put a car together just buying the parts separately it would cost you double what the kit costs.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i will say that years ago ...I spent alot more money on Batts and Brushed motor/ matinence then i do today in comparison....

.....Lathe,brushes,springs,rotors,time at the track to turn rotors(to truley go fast).....on and on....

you would have to have 5or 6 packs for a night of 2 wheel buggy racing......to be fast the batteries were best on 1st charge..... hince one run a night, discharge, store......back then with a deal....they were running about $40.00 for team packs...Retail about $75.00.so you need $300.00 to $500.00 worth of batteries in your box....Team Orion...Green cells....2400'S......we could run about 6 mins in mod!...

B4 Factory Team buggy was around $175.00ish.....i am old......So.....

Hell i can remember when we went from 1800mah red cells too 2000 blk....we thought that was tha Shiot!......

for what we get for our mighty dollar with todays techno advances......

I say its cheaper!.....less maintence .....

and the Equipment is WAY BETTER TODAY!...... IMO.....

RC will never out price itself...Its Still the cheapest True Racing format Around........

I raced Dirt bikes until i was 38......you would think that that sport would be cheap......Hah!...
Carts high,Drags,higher....no other form of motorsport( no hobby here!)...is this cheap by any means......LOL!

where else can you get by so cheap for Bragging Rights on your bud's......

Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koopesv View Post
Cant put a price on my fun which equals my sanity.
how LONG have you been Married!...

Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Factory Seal View Post

for what we get for our mighty dollar with todays techno advances......

I say its cheaper!.....less maintence .....

and the Equipment is WAY BETTER TODAY!...... IMO......
Can you imagine if these guys complaining had to invest in 5-6 battery packs at $100 a pop per car just to race? Double that if you're running two classes. A box full of motors, and $50 in brushes each month?

Comparatively speaking, it's bigtime cheaper today than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

To quote JN, "they couldn't handle the truth!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service