Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is RC pricing itself out of the Market? >

Is RC pricing itself out of the Market?

Is RC pricing itself out of the Market?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can build one good enough to run up front for way less than 1000.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Does anyone else feel like this hobby is starting to over price the fun factor?
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
man your not the only one
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
I too beleive with rising costs in everything,including RC products, that things are getting a little on the steep side with prices.
I swear it pisses me off every time I hear somebody start whining about the cost of RCing today, what a bunch of cheap azz pansies.

20 years ago - when the minimum wage was $3.80 an hour - a bare bones basic RC10 cost roughly $200, another $100-150 in modifications to make it race worthy, ESC cost $100-150, mod motor cost another $60-80 (limited life, plus you at least 3), $100 matched battery packs (you needed 5), batteries needed regular rebalancing, plus servo and radio gear - for a grand total of $930 in 20 years ago money, so $1800 or more in today's money (accounting for inflation) for a basic 2wd buggy. First 4wd anything I saw back then cost $450 for a roller, that was a kit (assembly required) with illegible instructions, photos that looked like they were taken with a polaroid, reproduced on a xerox machine.

The stuff today is budget priced, a bargain; you whiners need to go back to racing Hotwheels - because you're idiots.

~ rant off

Last edited by kaycerc; 10-13-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
My first RC car
Losi JRX-2
$299

My latest RC car
Durango DEX210
$279
Absoultly agree that rc has become much cheaper. The race esc's then were $150 too. Not to mention a case of $120 batteries for each care for a race day. Few $80 motors too. Cannot beat todays r/c prices!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
Or all of the hopups needed for the JRX2
Box stock JRX2 was king right out of the box, and dominated at my local track for years when I was a kid... Once placed high in a large national race and got my name in RCCA magazine back in the day...

Where the REAL money is saved these days, is the lack of a battery war. When I was really into TC racing back in the early-mid 2000s, quality NimH packs were as much as lipos today, but you couldn't get away with just one. For a full day of racing, I needed 5 or 6 as you could only run them no more than twice a day. (your race packs).

And, the output voltages varied greatly between different packs, and you paid more and more for higher output. For example, an average pack might come with cells that were 1.16v. A quality pack would be 1.17v, a really really nice pack would be 1.18v, and only the top tier sponsored guys could really get the 1.19s. The speed difference between 1.16v packs and the 1.19 was pretty dramatic. So winning races in any kind of spec class took some REAL dollars.

It wasn't only batteries, but motors. To be competative, you would need to cut your comm and break in new brushes every 3 runs. A full day at the track, I would solder/de-solder or cycle between 3 or 4 different motors. I had a practice motor, I would run a few times early in the day, and a motor for each heat and one for the main. Because performance deteriorated over each run, each motor needed to be in primo shape for the racing.

Now a days, you just need a kit, 1 lipo, 1 motor, and your radio gear and you are set. Heck, since there is no battery maintenance and almost no motor maintenance required, you get a LOT more time to work on setup, and socializing. Back then, you were performing battery maintenance, motor maintenance, and them maybe some setup changes just in time for the next run.

RAcing is literally 10X easier than it was 10 years ago. (not the driving, of course)
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Buy used if your on a budget. That way you get more for your money.

Here I'll price one up for ya from what I've seen in the classifieds:

SC10 4x4 - $200
MMP esc - $80
Castle 3800kv motor - $60
Savox 1256 servo - $60
Spektrum SR300 receiver - $40

Total = $440

Will you look at that, a quality truck with quality electronics for under $450

Of course I'm assuming you already have a radio, lipos, and a charger.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I remember back when I was 16 and 17 trying to be competitive in 2wd buggy. Couldn't do it so I got out of it. Now I can run up front with a 20 dollar battery 70 dollar motor and a bone stock scte. Rc is way cheaper then it used to be
Old 10-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've been in this hobby since the early 80s and have to say it is actually cheaper now then its heyday back in the late 80s and 90s.

I got out of electric just as brushless/lipo was coming on the scene. I was tired of frying motors, maintaining motors, and having a huge number of batteries.

Brushless/lipo is still cheaper than the old days...

I think the thing is, the economy is putting a big squeeze on hobbyists. With uncertain futures I think we are thinking harder how we spend our money as opposed to the late 80s when things/economy was getting better and growing.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Been in the hobby for maybe 13-14 years. Its just as affordable as it was back then. But you get more bang for your buck now.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Something I learned when doing this back in high school, was be smart about how you spend your money. Took me a few years to figure it out. Don't have a wondering eye, pick a class and stick with it, seemed I was always lusting after something new, the first Lazer, or those new stadium trucks, so I would waste my budget getting in over my head with some new car, that I couldn't afford the right batteries for, or the new motors, etc. I settled on 2wd stock, fit my budget, I stopped trying to jump on the new bandwagons, and worked on putting my budget towards doing one thing well. Which I ended up enjoying it a lot more, as I wasn't always butting heads with the budget. Also, the driver makes up most of the performance, you don't need the super high end everything, until you can maximize those things, when you're squeezing out that every last bit of performance, which by that point, you could probably just get a sponsor and go that route. If you got the money, by all means, throw it at your car, do what ever you want, but if its tight, driving is the real speed secret.

As for it pricing itself out of the market, not sure exactly what to compare it too, video games perhaps? I would guess a decent RTR is in the ball park with a new game console and a handful of games, for me, I'd need a new TV, which right there, it would cost more. New computer, probably right in there, if you plan on doing more than surfing the internet with it. Decent mountain bike, not cheap. A fullsize project car to work on, not even the same league there. I would think the amount of time you spend racing, bashing, and wrenching, compared to the cost, on a per hour basis, its not too bad.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Every durable good is cheaper than it used to be when you calculate for inflation. For the same reason that nearly every durable good we buy is manufactured by someone who makes a pitiful wage.
N.A.F.T.A
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
My first RC car
Losi JRX-2
$299

My latest RC car
Durango DEX210
$279

Had couple or more of those JRX2's & only paid $149.95

at my local track, of course......
Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I find that R/C is much cheaper than it was 8 years ago when I bought in the first time. I, too got tired of battery wars and wasting money in 4wd TC (tire lathe, anyone?) and took a big hit selling off most of my stuff. I got back in in February of this year and was able to do it on a much better budget.

AE SC10 - $269
3x Turnigy 30C 5000mah - $50
Futaba 3PM-X - $169
Team Tenergy TB6AC charger - $69
JC Barcodes + KMC wheels - $25
JC hex adapters (rear) - $12

I ran that setup until just a couple of weeks ago when I bought the hex setup from the SC10RS and a set of AKA CityBlock tires ($25). Back in the day I would easily spend $200 in batteries, tires and brushes in a month, let alone $400 (x2) for a good charger (CE Turbo35BL, 1 for each class) and the extra motors, a good selection of radio crystals, etc. I now race every other week on a pretty strict $75 budget, including race fees ($25 per race night for both classes).
Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Not only has R/C gotten cheaper for better (MUCH BETTER) items than years ago but top that off with the opportunities to easily purchase/trade stuff online and locally via the inter-web now days and there really is little complaining that should be done about the cost of this hobby...

I too raced many years back before forums etc. and not only was it impossible for a youngster like I was to be seriously competitive due to lack of funds for 5 70$ batteries etc. but I also had to learn all I needed to know from either the hobby shop staff or seasoned racers who didnt have time to give you the time off day as they were too busy taking care of their own rigs on race day (remember these days race set ups required A LOT of TLC to run race after race..)
My point is that I cant count how much money I have saved over the recent years in this hobby due to the abundance of available knowledge right at my fingertips 24/7... R/C is THE BEST and most affordable hobby a mechanical mind can enjoy these days.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Suspended

bump - just to keep it going
Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

WAY Cheaper in the long haul. My .02

Brushed motors were easily 80-100.
Brushed esc were $200
Batteries were $70 for a matched stick pack. Not to mention they did not last as long as lipos. Smart tray another $40 used. Chargers were the same. Radios are about the same if not cheaper for much better Tech.

My touring car has lasted me 2 seasons with almost 0 invested, maybe tires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service