R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-20-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to beetlebz
Default transmitter rechargables..

so, i got kinda sick of changing the batteries out in my MX-3S every time i went to the track. it gets pretty expensive after a while!

i stopped in radio shack and got 8 AA nimh 2000mah batts. the downside, is instead of 12 volts from 8 1.5 volt batts, i only get 9.6 volts. and the radio gets worried and beeps at 9.1 volts. i charge them through the transmitter charge jack at 1A with my peak charger. now, usually i let it peak once, then repeak it again right away and i can get about 11 volts out of them, maybe 10.8 or so.

the problem is, the batteries dump in a little under an hour of run time. it will go from 9.5 or 9.6 volts and drop down to about 8.8 volts in only a couple minutes.

how could i charge or condition the nimh AAs to get more runtime out of them without hurting the cells?
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to OvalEvader

What peak detection setting are you charging the batts at?
OvalEvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
Tech Regular

not to sound naieve.... although i am totally new to electrics...

but huh? what do you mean?

is that the delta V thing? this is my first ever battery charger too... its the Integy 16x3v6
Old 11-20-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to OvalEvader

Yea, delta v. Run that at about 80MV for transmitter batteries, or until the batts get warm.
OvalEvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
Tech Regular

80mv? i can only adjust amperage on the charger. and as for the delta V, its either 0, negative.

im not sure how to translate the info you just gave me to my charger :\
Old 11-21-2004, 06:51 AM   #6
Tech Regular

i have been using AA rechargables for about two years in my M8.
i now have 2000mah. when fully charged i get 11.4 volts. are you using a wall charger?? if you are using the airtronics wall charger , those are for nicad batteries. i use the wall chargers that come with the batteries. or my novak millenium in receiver pack mode at 1 amp. i would not use the plug on the radio to fully charge batteries. it should have a diode in it that will not let the charger know it has reached its peak. you can also just buy some AA battery holders at radio shack and wire it to charge your batteries. if your charger can charge 8 batteries.
either you are not getting a full charge or you got some cheap batteries.
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Tech Regular

ahh maybe thats the problem then. ill try taking the batt tray out of the radio and then charging them. the LHS owner uses the same batts (only the 1800mah versions) and has no problems what so ever. he runs all day on a charge.

and no im not using a wall charger. im using my integy 16x3v6 @1amp.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:09 PM   #8
Tech Regular

are you adjusting the charge for 8 cells??
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:04 PM   #9
Tech Regular

theres no adjustment on the charger at all. the only thing i can adjust is the charge mode (charge, discharge then charge, discharge, and cycle). everything else is automatic
Old 11-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #10
Tech Regular

baih i think you hit the nail on the head. if i tried to discharge the batts before it would shut off almost immediately, even though i let them peak just 10 minutes prior. so, i took the battery tray out of the transmitter and made a little rig to charge them without taking them out of the tray. so far theyre discharging just fine! once they are dead im going to throw them back on and peak them at 1a. ill let you know how they come out.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:36 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to benlosi

Quote:
i stopped in radio shack and got 8 AA nimh 2000mah batts. the downside, is instead of 12 volts from 8 1.5 volt batts, i only get 9.6 volts. and the radio gets worried and beeps at 9.1 volts
thats weird.i use raovak 1800 nimh AA's on a raovak charger though and on my jr xr2 radio i get 11.6v,after about 3 runs it goes down to 10.6v.that mx-3 must really suck alotta juice seeing it prob has alot more features than my radio

try some of these these are real good man

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...S&Category=285
benlosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:43 AM   #12
Tech Regular

actually i think im all squared away. the mx3s does suck juice like crazy, at LEAST 1 full set of AAs after an hour or two at the track.

but i took the batt tray out of the radio and im at ABOUT 11.2 and climbing! the battery voltage during charging is around 11.6 now, which will drop to 11.2 once i shut the charger off. when these cells go, i gotta try me some of those AA cells you linked me to. 2300mah and theyre half the price i paid!

thanks for the input all, now i have to rig a second charging input on the radio, but tht should be a fun mod
Old 12-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #13
Tech Adept

at peak with rechargeables you will normally get about 11.6 volts after it peaks. alkaline will always provide more voltage when brand new.
VONEREFLEXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Give these a try. I'm going to order some!
HT Batteries
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote