Community
Wiki Posts
Search

380 Size Brushless System in a XXX4??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 380 Size Brushless System in a XXX4??

First, let me say that this is a stupid question and I probably already know the answer, but I figured I'd ask everyone's opinion about it.

Has anyone ever tried using a 380 can size brushless system in a Losi XXX4, AE B44, or any other 4x4 10th scale buggy? If so, what were the results?

And to you electric experts (I primarily race 1/8th scale nitro), do you think if I temporarily put this 380 brushless system in my XXX4 and geared it down ALOT, do you think: 1) Will it work?, and 2) Do you think I'd fry the ESC and/or motor?

This isn't for a real race - I'm just trying to put as many electric cars together as I can for an electric "race" we're having for kids this weekend and some of them don't have a car to use.

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

It is not possible since the 380 would not provide enough torque and it won'tlast long even you gear low. Anyway why should you use a 380 whilethere are better and affordable motor/esc combo's on the market?

As a former nitro racer: would you run a .15 engine in your 1/8?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well if its for your kids to play with gear it down and id test it out for a pack to make sure the emps dont get too high and gear accordingly. If its for a weekend i dont see a problem with it...And if it gets too hot with real low gearing dont run it. Anything is worth a try
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HPI is putting what looks like a finned 380 in their Bullet trucks, and they look to be heavier than a XXX4, so its got to be worth a try.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I did an experiment with the mini e-revo system in my xxx-4. The goal was to make the electronics as light as possible to reduce the likelyhood of breaking parts on impact. The xxx4 is known to be extremely fragile otherwise.

With the mini e-revo system, and a turnigy 1800 mAh 2s pack, I got the car down to 47 ounces with no additional lightweight parts.

Geared 20/94, i'd say it was better than a 13.5 spec motor in terms of speed and acceleration. It didn't get too hot - around 140F after 8-10 minutes which was enough to drain the battery on a clay indoor track. At least I could charge the battery at the maximum rated 5C charge rate with my 10 amp charger so I was up and running again in as little as 10 minutes.

I haven't tried 3s, but I bet it would scream!

The right motor for the job would probably a neu 11XX series 4-pole motor. Similar in size to a 380, but could match the power of any of the winds of this ROAR legal crap we are using and run cooler.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SpEEdyBL
I did an experiment with the mini e-revo system in my xxx-4. The goal was to make the electronics as light as possible to reduce the likelyhood of breaking parts on impact. The xxx4 is known to be extremely fragile otherwise.

With the mini e-revo system, and a turnigy 1800 mAh 2s pack, I got the car down to 47 ounces with no additional lightweight parts.

Geared 20/94, i'd say it was better than a 13.5 spec motor in terms of speed and acceleration. It didn't get too hot - around 140F after 8-10 minutes which was enough to drain the battery on a clay indoor track. At least I could charge the battery at the maximum rated 5C charge rate with my 10 amp charger so I was up and running again in as little as 10 minutes.

I haven't tried 3s, but I bet it would scream!

The right motor for the job would probably a neu 11XX series 4-pole motor. Similar in size to a 380, but could match the power of any of the winds of this ROAR legal crap we are using and run cooler.
How long will it last in the dirt? Clay is hardpacked but running on grass or sand would make the esc frye.