R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92
Default RX8 vs. MMM. vs. XERUN 150a

Okay let me start by saying money is not an issue and I did search but I want recent and fresh opinions. What the issue is reliability, if I'm going to drop over $300 on a product, I don't want problems at such a price. So, I have an 8ight roller that will be raced every weekend and is ready for electronics. The servo I will be using is a savox 1256tg. best at the price but, I don't want bec issues (if I have to buy a seperate bec, name me a new servo that will work) I had a cc bec and it died on me, so I'm not going that route, I have spektrum voltage caps though. I'm not going to be running sensored unless I buy the RX8 combo. I'm not new, I know about all the features and stuff like that. I'm just posting for review feedback I wanna run 1900kv and under 4s lipo 4000mah 40c's ...Just what esc

XERUN 150A - Sensored & Unsensored, Best reliability?,programming on the fly, downside if I get a bad one back to china (thats whats holding me back) I had the 80a and it worked fine but only used it twice before I sold it. Will be used with tacon 1800kv motor.

RX8 - new red case is great? All bugs fixed? Have to buy programmer, might run unsensored with it instead of combo. Good customer service

MMM v3 - supposably fixed but still getting horror stories, hit or miss, includes programmer, customer service great but takes 3 weeks "they say"

Mamba max pro?
So hard to choose Thanks for the feedback guys!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i'm in the same boat. waiting for a truggy trying line up a power train. i've been told tekin and castle are both great but have no clue on the other one. i'm eager to see people chime in.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen200 View Post
i'm in the same boat. waiting for a truggy trying line up a power train. i've been told tekin and castle are both great but have no clue on the other one. i'm eager to see people chime in.
Just read the tekin and xerun thread, they still smoke or have their issues, just like MMM's. So I guess it's a take your pick kind of thing and get lucky, still would like to hear opinions aswell...

Last edited by drs92; 09-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.
drs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you don't want ESC problems then 1/8th electric is not for you. While things have gotten much better over the last couple years the reliability is still hit and miss. It's just something you have to accept if you want to run the class.

Sensored is where it is at. My vote is either a Tekin esc or a MM Pro esc. The Castle is nice because it has a year warranty vs 120 days with the Tekin. Many, many reports of the MM Pro handling 1/8th scale fine with something like a 1900 motor.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I'd vote for the RX8 - however what cobra said is very true. None are perfect - we are subjecting small electronic components to VERY harsh environments. Sure we may not break much in a wreck as far as A-arms, shock towers, etc - but these electronics go for a ride.

1/8th scale racing is pretty brutal, whichever ESC you go with, make sure it has some kind of impact resistance. I run 2 layers of servo tape on mine.

I've had very good luck with my RX8's (i have 2 RX8/1900 combos) since I've done this. I had one smoke a few weeks after I came off the track and my servo tape (1 layer) had given way, and it was just flopping around! I had issues for a few weeks until it finally just quit.

I did send it in for nonwarranty work, and was very pleased with the results (a LOT cheaper than flat out buying a new one, and door to door, it took 6 days).

I really do like sensored, and with the RX8's dual mode, you get the efficiency up top and the smoothness down low.

I run hitec servos mainly, but I did a run on a savox and had no BEC issues, nor have I heard of any. Thats not the case with the castle products. I run a CC BEC on my MMP in 1/10th scale, and I've heard the MMM BEC isnt much better.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Tech Master

I had 8th scale electric before so I understand the pros and cons. Like I said I'm not new, I just want the best esc for the money. I understand it's hit and miss, thats why I wanted to go with either tekin or castle over xerun this time because of customer service.. So tekin's warranty is 120 days, after that you have to pay for repair? GoatsnBros were your's the newer RX8's? MMP don't you have to use a bec anyway no matter what servo? Kobra, why not the MMM? I understand it's not sensored but I can't justify if sensored is really needed (lower runtimes but helps cooling but how much, smooth on start up but that's it)

Just looking for your opinions again, thanks!!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default roll the dice

I can only really comment on the RX8. My friend and I both use the 1900kv on 4s his is a 8e mine Ve8. They are both very fast and perform well. We both lost the RX8 last outing his,bec brown out(he's running jr9100hvs on the bec) so I think it was the servos fault. Mine just plain went stupid intermittently. We run all tekin stuff in our 10th so we did not want to relearn another system (hot wire). To be honest you are absolutly right in saying its hit or miss. I don't think its the manufactures fault per se, 8th scale is just plain rough on electronics and the class is still in its infantcy. No mater which manufacture you go with buy 2. Since my friend and I try to Match stuff we are going in halves on a race day spare. I work in the electric vehicle field and the amps that these RC esc's see is around 150 on average. A motor controller at 24v to handle that is about the size of a brick with 1 awg wiring... These little esc's are miracles of engineering but again the class is still young and they will get more reliable as the years go by. Even we have lost 2 I would not hesitate in recommending the tekin stuff. You WILL lose one so have a spare. As far as a servo I would run the one with the least amp draw and always run a cap! I still run all analogs and have never had any problems. Hitec has some really promising ones comming out soon check them out too.
Motor'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Yup - all of mine have been the new style.

If you go to tekin's site - you'll see the prices for nonwarranty replacement - I believe the RX8 is $93?

And yes, 120 days.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The Mamba Max Pro is a 10th scale ESC. It will definitely work in an 8th scale application, but HOLY SMOKES!!!! When I upgraded to an eighth scale ESC from my MMP, with the same exact everything, my front tires were lifting right off the ground with ease. I had to change everything up.

My only 8th ESC experience is the RX8 I currently own, so I can't say much in comparison except when speaking about the MMP. It ran well, it didn't get hot or anything, but I did notice it would cog. Also, the difference in power delivery was outrageous. Again, it worked, but it's definitely a 10th scale ESC.
marooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor'n View Post
I can only really comment on the RX8. My friend and I both use the 1900kv on 4s his is a 8e mine Ve8. They are both very fast and perform well. We both lost the RX8 last outing his,bec brown out(he's running jr9100hvs on the bec) so I think it was the servos fault. Mine just plain went stupid intermittently. We run all tekin stuff in our 10th so we did not want to relearn another system (hot wire). To be honest you are absolutly right in saying its hit or miss. I don't think its the manufactures fault per se, 8th scale is just plain rough on electronics and the class is still in its infantcy. No mater which manufacture you go with buy 2. Since my friend and I try to Match stuff we are going in halves on a race day spare. I work in the electric vehicle field and the amps that these RC esc's see is around 150 on average. A motor controller at 24v to handle that is about the size of a brick with 1 awg wiring... These little esc's are miracles of engineering but again the class is still young and they will get more reliable as the years go by. Even we have lost 2 I would not hesitate in recommending the tekin stuff. You WILL lose one so have a spare. As far as a servo I would run the one with the least amp draw and always run a cap! I still run all analogs and have never had any problems. Hitec has some really promising ones comming out soon check them out too.
For servos I was looking at the Hitec 985mg perfect torque and speed, I don't know about the amp draw though. Marooko thanks for the input I'll stay away from the pro..
Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #11

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I've actually owned each brand of esc's...... The MMM is a great esc if you want to run non-sensored but is very prone to the case coming apart on hard impacts, I've seen it happen to three MMM esc's at the track in one day...... The rx8 is great and can run both sensored and nonsensored motors but has also been known to fail at times (whether by user error or just bad luck etc), but if you don't have a laptop with you at the track g'luck reprogramming it if you needed to. The HW esc's are great for the price and can perform just as good as the more popular name brand esc's and can be programmed via a computer system or with the programming card itself.......... So its going to come down to personal preference and customer service, but in the end they will all perform great and get the job done........
ilanstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have run the same RX8 and 1900kv motor since March and not have had a single problem. Use the Kyosho Zeal Vibration Tape to help with shock and vibration.
netmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilanstylz View Post
I've actually owned each brand of esc's...... The MMM is a great esc if you want to run non-sensored but is very prone to the case coming apart on hard impacts, I've seen it happen to three MMM esc's at the track in one day...... The rx8 is great and can run both sensored and nonsensored motors but has also been known to fail at times (whether by user error or just bad luck etc), but if you don't have a laptop with you at the track g'luck reprogramming it if you needed to. The HW esc's are great for the price and can perform just as good as the more popular name brand esc's and can be programmed via a computer system or with the programming card itself.......... So its going to come down to personal preference and customer service, but in the end they will all perform great and get the job done........
Which do you prefer out of all 3 if you only wanted one? And which one if you were to never run sensored?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmaster View Post
I have run the same RX8 and 1900kv motor since March and not have had a single problem. Use the Kyosho Zeal Vibration Tape to help with shock and vibration.
Would foam do the job also?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs92 View Post
Would foam do the job also?
The Kyosho Zeal tape feels like Jello, but holds extremely well. I really I don't think you can find anything better then this tape, and its really cheap too....
netmaster is offline   Reply With Quote