R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs92 View Post
Would foam do the job also?
drs92, That 8E roller has a great platform for the ESC to sit on (built in spring board) to give the ESC some cushion. I used some servo tape under the ESC
also. Also 1/8 scale Elecs. will break more because of the amount of heat the motors/ESC's produce. That's why I run sensored, so if the motor gets too hot it will shut down and sensorless will not. Bearings going bad and driveshafts binding while racing causing unwanted drag on your system causing Elecs. to heat up faster.
I run the Xerun 150A/4168SD and like it.
The Rx8 is the only ESC with a BEC that puts out 5amps/6volts for the servo.
Check with Savox to see if a 3amp internal BEC will power that servo without having gliching problems under racing conditions. I have a CC BEC on my 8E,
set @ 5amp/6volts. My servo Hitec 7955tg calls for 5amp/6volts to get max
torgue (333oz). Like someone posted, sensored is the way to go imo.
I don't know why there is not more 1/8 ESC's with a more powerful internal BEC's in them on the market. I have a Rx8/2050kv on backorder for a back up for my Hobbywing M5A combo. HW do have techs that will respond to your e-mails about their products (mostly the same day).
Old 09-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
The ZTW rebranded 35A and 60A are sensored, essentially they're Speed Passion Citrix esc's.
I had thought that the SP Cirtix ESCs were made by ZTW. The programming features (just a few more options for each selection, probably a different firmware), dimensions and stats all seem so similar, and the USB connection is the same too.

On the topic, I've tried the Xerun 150A, and the Hobbyking (ZTW) 150A as well as the XTM 120A, which is another 1/8 ZTW rebrand, and while I like them all, the Xerun is better, mostly by having a smoother start running sensorless. The Xerun uses less real estate too. The ZTW 1/8th are as big as the old EZrun 150a.
I wouldn't really trust the HK 150 on 6s since the capacitors are rated at 25v and a fresh pack is 25.2, but oddly enough the 120a has 35v capacitors.
Its hard to beat the price point on the HK 120a though. You can almost buy three for the price of one Xerun 150a.
The ZTW usb connector I mentioned works for the Hobbyking 1/8 escs, and allows for reversing the motor rotation for sensored motors. They do run sensored motors quite smoothly though.

I wish I could say I've got a Tekin RX8 or Castle MMM, but I don't so I can't compare.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #33
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Some of today's high torque servos can draw more current than the BEC's are providing. These servos didn't exist when most of the current esc's were being developed. That being said a servo can cause a BEC to fail. Drawing too much current can cause component failure. However this is rare.

Everything electronic has the potential to fail at any given time. It's how the company stands behind the product with support that often sets them apart from the rest.

Simply judging Youtube videos to choose what product you should buy is quite interesting. I'm sure you can find a video of anything going up in smoke at some point...

Tekin has been powering top pros and local fast guys to wins all over the world in 1/8 Electric racing. Drivers like Hara, Tesmann, Lutz, Wheeler and a host of others choose to run Tekin because they know it works.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #34

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im running a 80A & 150A EZRUN, and the MMM as well, all seem the same, just my 150A is ALOT smoother than the MMM
yourusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourusername View Post
Im running a 80A & 150A EZRUN, and the MMM as well, all seem the same, just my 150A is ALOT smoother than the MMM
How long have you had the xerun ?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #36
Tech Rookie

ok this may be a dumb question....

can I use a castle link to connect the ZTW-120A to my pc

and

can I use the program card that comes with this system? hobbywing 35A esc 9t 4300kv
mrkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I raced a HW Xerun 150amp combo (2000kv) for 15 months in an RC8 with Zero issues, very smooth. Had a MMM esc with Medusa motor before that, not as smooth as the HW, and one thing I did not like was if you roll backwards the esc loses the motor position for a split sec and hesitates.
T4.1
PROMATCH RACING
havatitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #38
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkavanagh View Post
ok this may be a dumb question....

can I use a castle link to connect the ZTW-120A to my pc

and

can I use the program card that comes with this system? hobbywing 35A esc 9t 4300kv
No and No

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

If your looking for performance and smoothness Tekin is the winner people will saying mamba, AE etc but nothing compares. Everything fails motors, servos, lipos etc its electronics nothing is bullet proof. Tekin made some changes about a year ago ever since then their RX8 durability improved dramatically. Mounting is key if you lay down on your chassis straight its only time. Ive owned every brand out there nothing compairs to Tekin
Old 10-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #40
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Hi Guys, I have just converted my Losi EU Buggy to EP to see how I like it. I'm running an RX8 ESC, T8 1900 Motor and a Savox 1256 Servo (20kg). I had problems with the servo cutting out and at times a momentary 'excitement' of the motor without even touching the throttle. Seemed to happen only on fast movements of the servo. After a few trials and process of elimination (and research) I put it down to the Servo drawing too much current. So I bought a 4700uF Capacitor wired it to a plug and plugged it into the receiver to check the theory - well for under $3 my problem is solved! I'd say this will be the problem for most with this issue so hopefully this will help get rid of a few headaches...........
bigjay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #41
Tech Champion

The rx8 is way above the MMM IMO. I had 2 MMM and 3 rx8 already and here are the results:

MMM:
- closed case, if the fan dies -it will- you have to open your ESC
- the case is closed with plastic clips -> FAIL, they are weak
- if you want your MMM to be strongly attached to your car it needs a minimum of 2 zip ties, with the RX8 I just use velcro
- the switch has to be removed too, it's very bad built
- it's heavier, sits higher too
- to set it up you have to open your receiver, use a castle field etc etc..
- sensorless only
- 150A

RX8:
- better quality overall
- case closed with screws
- fan can be removed without opening anything, in most case it isn't even needed
- you set your car directly with the mode and set button
- smoother feeling
- sensored and sensorless
- the only thing that is hard on this ESC is the soldering, you will need a solder station that gets hot fast and don't wanna stay to long soldering your cable BUT efficient wise it's better having NO connectors
- 200A
- nicer looking
- software is really complete, more tuning options compared to the MMM

I fried both a MMM and a RX8. The first one because the case opened and the second because I might have damaged a component while soldering the cables for a too long time. So in each case I could have avoid it.

I didn't tested the Xerun but the feedbacks are excellent for the price. This is the best option to save some bucks

Last edited by Pulse_; 10-30-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Pulse_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjay5 View Post
Hi Guys, I have just converted my Losi EU Buggy to EP to see how I like it. I'm running an RX8 ESC, T8 1900 Motor and a Savox 1256 Servo (20kg). I had problems with the servo cutting out and at times a momentary 'excitement' of the motor without even touching the throttle. Seemed to happen only on fast movements of the servo. After a few trials and process of elimination (and research) I put it down to the Servo drawing too much current. So I bought a 4700uF Capacitor wired it to a plug and plugged it into the receiver to check the theory - well for under $3 my problem is solved! I'd say this will be the problem for most with this issue so hopefully this will help get rid of a few headaches...........
This problem is known, savox servos need juice. I have a Castle BEC on all my 1/8 to make sure I have no trouble. I hope one day you'll be able to set a 7,4 voltage output directly via the ESC. Most of them are 6v standard which is too low IMO
Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #43
Tech Adept

RX8
Hands Down!!!
TEAM-AE-4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

RX8 !!!!
IT LETS ME SLEEP EASY AT NIGHT LOL....