Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
what center diff wt to use on a 1/8 e truggy to stop the front diff balloning/wheelin > what center diff wt to use on a 1/8 e truggy to stop the front diff balloning/wheelin

what center diff wt to use on a 1/8 e truggy to stop the front diff balloning/wheelin

Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Default what center diff wt to use on a 1/8 e truggy to stop the front diff balloning/wheelin

i was going to post this on the rc8te tread on here but nobody is ever on it so im using "7,7,5" on my rc8te. And ive noticed that while im racing on a straightaway the front end will start to wheely. Not real bad though just a little bit, but the front diff looks like its balloning not terriblely though and i was thinking it was just the tires maybe i was using but im thinking i need thicker center diff oil ?

i was thinking about "10k" in the center with 7f, 5r but ive heard 10k in the center is not good on a dry dusty track ?

ive used "10k" in the center before on a moist loamy track and worked good but at times it was a handfull out of corners with the 1/8 e lol.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

don't change the oils. change the camber in the rear and toe in on the back. like 5% and test.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by chucko View Post
don't change the oils. change the camber in the rear and toe in on the back. like 5% and test.

thanks well i will have to buy rear toe inserts than to change it on the rc8t.
il give it a try.

right now im using 2- rear camber so il try 1- degree rear camber first and try.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have the same truggy.

I experimented with the different weights, as I had a variety of oils already when I bought mine. 10k center will give you what your looking for. The only down side is that if your on very high bite, you will wheelie more often.

Just incase you were wondering, I also have 3k rear and 7k front.

I normally run on dry ish clay unless its sprayed down, for me it works well.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
I have the same truggy.

I experimented with the different weights, as I had a variety of oils already when I bought mine. 10k center will give you what your looking for. The only down side is that if your on very high bite, you will wheelie more often.

Just incase you were wondering, I also have 3k rear and 7k front.

I normally run on dry ish clay unless its sprayed down, for me it works well.

ok well the one track i race on is loamy/moist/dry kind of the track. This weekend i will be on a "hard packed dry/dusty track" , when its hot/sunny outside its mix of red clay and loose dirt low traction inless watered.

so 7k f, 10c,5k is good for that track condition it wont be to hard to drive on dry dirt ?
if you use "10k" in the center diff are you supposed to use a lighter weight rear diff oil ?

7k in the center diff on the electric truggy doesnt seem to last long anyways.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

7k in the center seems way light for truggy, especially e truggy. Go to 10 or 15k, if the car is hard to handle off the turns, dial the power back.

There is no need to change the rear unless it has an issue to address after goin up in the center.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
7k in the center seems way light for truggy, especially e truggy. Go to 10 or 15k, if the car is hard to handle off the turns, dial the power back.

There is no need to change the rear unless it has an issue to address after goin up in the center.

ok thanks yea i was thinking about it, and 7k does seem to light in the center diff even though a guy i race uses "7,7,7" in his rc8te but than again he doesnt exactly keep up on his mateince

yea il try 10k in the center and leave the rear diff alone.

what do you mean though about only changeing the "rear diff oil" if needed with higher diff weight oil in the center ?

i bet thats why 7k does not seem to last long its to light.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

truggies take a lot more since they weigh more and the surface area of the tires is bigger, etc.... We recommend if you run 5/7/2 in a buggy to try 7/10/3 in a truggy to get similar results. I would say no less than 10k center unless you are a top 50 driver.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

7k is light for something with the traction/power of a truggy so I can see how 7k would break down fast. The ballooning tires is the cue that it's happening.

Changing the rear along with the center isn't necessary. The rear setting seems more independent of the center than the front. 5k is probably good in the back(disclaimer, I don't run a truggy, just buggy).

FWIW, I run 7k in my electric buggy's center diff, thinking of going to 10k.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Prophet

thanks for the info guys yea i just cleaned the old black oil out of my center diff and refilled it with 10k . Since i did a long main im going to check the front diff, and the oil is not nearly as black as the center diff with the 7k so the front diff had to be balloning. Granted im using associated diff oil in the center and mugen diff oil on the front which to me last a bit longer anyways.

personally anyways i was thinking about change the center oil anyways the "7k" just seemed to soft coming out of the corners punch wise.

Yea i might just keep the "5k" in the rear diff for more stable and i like the way it powers straighter when lineing up to jumps . Ive used "3k" in the rear before and it can be good and bad.

Hakmaster: yea im no top 50 driver for sure
Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Prophet

update: Well i tried out the "7,10,5" on my E-Truggy on a blown out dry track and i dont like it its like a on and off switch when hitting jumps or driving on the track i even lowered my throttle expo and the throttle epa . So im going to put the "7k" in the center diff again much easier to handle on that type of condition i will just have to change it more often.

oh yea it did wheely big time on the straight at times likely from hitting a bump or something lol.

Dont get me wrong the 7,10,5 worked great on loamy loose dirt but the 7,7,5 or 3k seem to work a lot better for me on a blown out track.

Last edited by tc5 man; 09-11-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Update: I tried out the 7,10,5 diff setup man i really like the 10k in the center diff but with a 50/16 gearing though i tried a "50/15 gearing" it was just to much ! But it defietly made a diffrence in handing compared with using "7k" in the center, more power steering and torque. No issues hanging with and beating nitro truggys now what was killing was the lack of torque put of the corners with lighter center diff oil.

I might try 3k in the rear though for more rotation but than again i dont want the wheelspin espially on dry/dusty dirt.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Oh yea less balloning ive notice on the front end also.