Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
At what age did your kids get their first RC? >

At what age did your kids get their first RC?

Like Tree3Likes

At what age did your kids get their first RC?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default At what age did your kids get their first RC?

My son is turning 5 this year, and he loves my RC cars. So much in fact that I was thinking of buying him a Slash for his upcoming birthday. He's had the $20 Walmart special, and he's not to bad at driving that. I want to get him something better than that now.

I was wondering at what age did you get your children their own hobby grade RC car?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

I don't have sons as for now... But I got my first RC when I was 4, it was a Nikko Dominator. Holy crap! so much fun!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got my first rc in 6th grade. It was a xxx-t mf2. I ended up building it with my dad. If you're a father, I would get him a rtr now. Later, if he gets into it, you can have "father-son" time building his new car. 5 May be a little early, but if you can teach him to drive it safely, then why not?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I raced RC cars when I was 5, my first car was a radio shack golden eagle. Then I moved up to a rc10
Old 09-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My kid was 3 when I got him a losi mini ralley car hes pretty good at driving it hes burned up the press on pinion gear a couple times but other wise he does real well and then when hes not lookin I put the lipo batt in and have some serious fun two of my buddy have them too and they come over and we drink beer and have garage floor grudge matches its alotta fun . . I also let him run my rock crawler around the yard alot too . I say if he can drive an RC ok then get him the slash and turn it on training mode and let him rip you pretty much cant hurt a slash on brushed power with it at half speed .
Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastslash View Post
you pretty much cant hurt a slash on brushed power with it at half speed .
That was kind of my thinking. I'll get him a brushed one, and run just regular nimh stick packs in it for him. We have a huge yard with not much to hit, so I think it will work well for him.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I let my 5 year old son race last weekend. He's played around with them a bit and has the concepts of a little bit of throttle control and can generally direct them where they need to be. He raced my SC10 2wd with a Viper 10.5 boosted. I didn't want to change the ESC settings or anything so I put the exponential to 100% and turned the throttle EPA down to 45% and he was begging for more speed.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Team Tekin

I might have to get something for my unborn daughter....That way I can say she had her first RC at 7 months in the womb!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I got my son a Stampede for Christmas when he was about 3.5 years old. I didn't get my first decent R/C until I was about 16.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Hmm

My son was 4 when we started beating up T3 trucks and Tamiya M03's in the street and 5 when i bought him his first new RC, a Duratrax Vendetta ST at RC Madness. He is 7 now and races with me regularly at RC Excitement in Fitchburg MA.
Cody_ferone likes this.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well speaking from experience with my 3 kids, I think 5 years old is a little young. Every kid is different and how mechanically inclined they are has a lot to do with it. I made a mistake by letting mine run my 10th scale buggy and trucks. It cost me 50 bucks in parts and a few hours of wrenching EVERYTIME they drove these things at the track or on the street. I started them both right around 5 and while it was fun it was also a tremendous amount of work. charging batteries and making sure they turn on the remote first then car (you know all that stuff we do second nature now) . So if I were to do it all again... buy a slash brushless 2.4 transmitter with a hard case LIFE or LIPO and a simple to use (set and forget) charger. And gear it down and keep it in train ing mode for a while. The more bullet proof you make the truck and simple you keep the electronics the more fun it will be for both of you. Remember to spend the money where it counts.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Both my daughters have multiple cars

my oldest built and ran her first when she was 5 ... tamiya lunchbox!
then built an 18r a year or two later

my youngest helped build her first at 3... tamiya brat!
they both have micro highrollers for the house

Ive taken the oldest to the track a few times... shes not into racing just crashing through the landscaping lol just limit the throttle at first and theyll progress rather quickly
Old 09-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I got my son a Stampede when he was about 7 and then just this year for his 12th Birthday I got him a Slash. He also wanted a Monster type paint job, so he got a Jconcept Ford Raptor body with Monster decals. Just wish he didn't live so far away from me so we can race together more often, he lives in Arizona currently with his mom and stepdad
mx836 likes this.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got my first RC when I was 4 for Christmas. It was a Nikko truck (dont remember the model)

My dad had just got an RC10 and I though it was sooo cool. Long story short, my dad built a track, opened a hobby shop and I was racing an RC10 graphite by the time I was 7 or 8. Im now 28 and still racing AE.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Both my boys where 3 when they got there slashes. They drive them just fine in the street or any open place. Put them on the track and they need lots of practice. There getting there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service