Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
At what age did your kids get their first RC? >

At what age did your kids get their first RC?

Like Tree3Likes

At what age did your kids get their first RC?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have two boys, 6 and 10... They have been into R/C for a few years now. If I had to go back in time and repurchase everything they both would have 2wd Slash's, 17.5 motors with all the RPM gear. Bulletproof...

When my son was 4 I bought him a Grasshopper, he still has it and it still works, never had to buy a part for it.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My son started driving at age 4 and is now 11 driving Mod SC and 8th scale Nitro Buggy.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

When my son was 6 we found all of my old RC stuff up in the attic of the garage. We cobbled together an electric conversion of an old Kyosho Datsun 10 (originally a nitro "scaler" from the early 80s) and ran it around for a while before eventually busting up some gears in the tranny. We then got him a Axial AX10 that we ran around the yard and on trails and whatnot. Much more reliable. All of this RC activity got me rehooked, and I started racing again with an SC10. He is now 7, and we rebuilt my old original version (rear motor) kyosho Optima for him to get started racing with. I kept it slower, and the 4wd helped him handle it OK. He's a good driver when he is concentrating on it. But, like lots of 7 year olds, the attention span is short and variable, requiring patience from Old Dad when he starts talking about how the hot dog he ate before the race tasted really good, or about how that marshal did a really good job flipping his car over 3 laps ago while he is supposed to be concentrating on driving. He hasn't shown that much interest in the maintenance yet, but sometimes helps out. I don't want to push it on him and turn him off from RC, but I still encourage him to help out and practice. It's a blast, really. I'm thrilled to have something we both really enjoy in common. We basically wore out the old Optima, and he's now going to start running my SC10, as I just picked up another used one for me.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My son Nathan has been running and racing since he was 5, he's 8 now and he beats me and some of my buddies pretty regularly. Now he is running Mod 2wd buggy (XXX-CR), Mod 2wd Stadium Truck(XXX-TCR), Mod SCT (converted XXX-T), and his new favorite Mod 4wd Buggy (B44, thanks to Dan G.)

Nathan started out with a Losi XXX-T with 27 turn stock motors and nimh batts. About a year later we stepped up to Lipos and 13.5 brushless. I was afraid he would have trouble with the extra punch and power, but in about 10 minutes he was dialed with it.

We didn't go through too many parts along the way, but he did break some stuff I had never seen break before.

RC racing with Nathan has been a ton of fun with lots of proud parent moments.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

If your planning on just letting them bash in the yard, then I don't think there's too young of an age...

However, if you are going the have them race at the local track then they need responsible enough not to decide to run backwards on the track, respects others property, and not decide it's fun to see how many cars they can smash...I don't think there's an age...It's when they show they are responible enough to handle it...Iv'e seen 40 year old men act like little brats at the track, and on the other hand iv'e seen[heck iv'e been beaten] by several "kids" most of which where under 12 or 13...

IMO, Racer53
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I want to say I was about 6 when I got my first rc. I've been in and out the hobby but have recently "invested" full time, getting a short course for the local track. I brought my kids to the track with me one weekend and needless to say they each wanted their own car. So my son (8 ) seen a losi xxx-scb winning a race and decided that was the kind he wanted. Strangley enough i talked to the owner and he was selling his. My daughter (5) says she wants a monster truck so i asked her what is your favorite one and she replies "the black and green one" lol already a grave digger fan. Her traxxas gravedigger will be in at my local hobby shop tomorrow
Old 09-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Santa brought my 5 year old daugher an SC10 last year. She ran the MORL series with me last summer in Michigan. She loved it!!!! still does.
Attached Thumbnails At what age did your kids get their first RC?-adelle-3rd-place-novice-2010.jpg  
Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nickmax View Post
Santa brought my 5 year old daugher an SC10 last year. She ran the MORL series with me last summer in Michigan. She loved it!!!! still does.
dude that is a super classic pic with her little sh*% eatin grin and a missin tooth and little her pink truck ...that pic is priceless you gotta love it thumbs up
Old 09-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Its funny my 3yr old son is pretty good with the controls when I let him drive the crawler.. I tend to follow him around pretty close as I'm afraid he is going to chuck/drop/or otherwise damage my 4pks. When I give him the slash at half speed its a bit fast for him as he's got some ricky bobby in him and only knows one speed right now.

My 6yr old daughter does ok with the slash in the street (half speed) but gets really frustrated at the track as she does not have the practiced depth perception for jumps and far away turns. She also seems to get bored of driving it really quickly.

Looking around the track it seems kids seem to start getting it around the age of 8 or 9?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My five year old daughter just got an SC18 but now she wants something bigger like dad's....which I am more than happy to buy for her (I love pissing off the wife!)

Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Aoh
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

got my first r/c at like 3? first hobby grade (rc10 6 gear gold pan) at 7. bought my nephew the traxxas monster jam truck for his 4th bday, and he freakin loves it, i just wish they had kid sized TX, he cant go reverse w/o using both his hands
Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Oh!! And my 1st hobby grade was at the age of 11, I got a Tamiya Top Neo Force, very nice to drive, but a big PITA because it broke from gears to dogbones. Snapped in half by the stock 540 Mabuchi motor.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

I have two sons, Connor 9 and Jackson 6.
Connor started with an old OFNA nitro buggy a couple of years ago.He now races a Mugen nitro truggy instead,a bit easier to drive.He is getting pretty fast now,not far off kicking my butt(not that I`m fast anyway).
I started Jackson off with the Slash 4x4 a few months ago.It`s great for the youngster`s,set it on training mode and you have half speed.He`s now on full speed and 2s lipo and tearing it up
I have recently got a couple of Nexx SC10`s for Connor and I as well.
We have a ball racing together and they get a real kick out of beating me
Connor is starting to get into the mechanics of the hobby which is great.
We are all going to a Short course race in a couple of weeks,should be fun.
This is a fantastic hobby for the family
Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

My son had a toy grade truck when he was 4. I bought an SC10 (for me) when he was 6 and he loved it. We bought him an SC10 of his own for his 7th birthday last year. He and I have been going to the track for about 9 months and he is finally getting pretty good. I put a 21.5 brushless system in his truck and turn it down to about 75% throttle when we're at the track. At the last race he was only marshalled twice. I had a grin from ear to ear.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Here's the SC10 I gave my daughter right after her 6th birthday.
Attached Thumbnails At what age did your kids get their first RC?-samibug.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service