Wiki Posts
Search

Losi MF2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Losi MF2 Thread

I figured I would start a thread since there wasn't one...

Will have mine later today...

I would like to see setup tips, tricks on building the truck, and any questions anyone should have.

I had the previous truck and loved, and I am sure I will really like this one too.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can share the problems I had when building my MF2, but if you are an experienced builder you'll probably know what I know already.

Buy some good screwdriver handled hex wrenches. There will be a lot of 'tapping' of screws into tough material. To the best of my recollection the truck uses 3 sizes only. Two are used all over the truck, the third is used for the motor mount screws. Dunno why they only use this size on motor screws, maybe its a standard thing in the industry.

When building the shocks use needle nose pliers to hold the threaded part of the shock piston when screwing on the ball link. I accidentally scratched my shock shafts with pliers (through paper towels) when I was gripping the shaft.

Don't get overzealous when tightening the slipper. I apparently went into Hulk mode and when I tightened the nut down all the way like the instructions said, I smashed the black spacer.

Do yourself a favor and use CA glue to glue the slipper pads onto the spur. The little notches on the slipper pads are hard to keep meshed with the notches on the spur when sliding the entire assembly together.

Try to use pliers when assembling the suspension shafts and ball cups. I had sore fingers from doing it all with my hands only.

Put a drop of shock oil down the antenna tube when trying to thread it. It will go in MUCH easier.

I had trouble with the antenna tube coming out of the chasis during crashes. I also didn't like how the antenna wire was kinda tight around the base of the assembly. I drilled a hole in the side of the antenna and CA glued the tube down. Then, I threaded the antenna through the hole (about 1/4th of an inch above the glue).

For setup tips go to your race track and ask the racers. The default MF2 setup is included in the instructions. It worked very well for me on my track.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

I forgot to add the issue I had with my perception that the spur was wobbling. I expected the spur to rotate perfectly flat when rotating the transmission without the motor attached. It's apparently normal if it wobbles a tiny tiny amount.

I also had a problem with CA gluing the tires. I bought too thick of a CA glue and it kinda glopped all over the place. Make sure to get a thinner CA thats faster drying. And remember CA debonder is your friend! Get some of that too!

Also, cut the foams around the inside and outside of the edges to more conform with the interior of the tire you are mounting. I usually take off about 1/4th of an inch of foam (diagonally on the edges)

The truck is tough. Mine has been crashed a lot and we have only broken one piece in about 12 runs so far and it was as a result of bad driving.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

I thought of one more thing.

If you don't have a good eye for caster and toe in settings. Try get it set up before you glue the tires to the rims.

Put the rims on the truck only and make the adjustments. It's easier to eyeball the thing this way without the balloon tires throwing you off visually.

Hopefully I remembered all my difficulties now so someone else can break up my consecutive post streak.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

A 4-40 tap is one of the best investments you can make.

RPM makes shock tools for building Losi shocks and they really..REALLY help.

When you're threading the shock ends onto the shafts, hold the shaft with pliers where the piston will be to prevent any of the usable area of the shaft becoming scratched. Use the Lunsford turnbuckle tool and any of the various ballcup tools out there (the OFNA body reamer works great).

There's no reason not to use Losi tire glue..it's the best (get the thick stuff). Wipe the excess off with a cotton towel; cotton and cyanoacrylate chemically react and the glue will dry up quickly. Kicker will make glue brittle.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Now that I know what ya look like from magazine articles I'm picturing you holding the little glue bottle and saying in an Australian accent (the accent of choice for tv infomercials).

"Buy Losi glue, its the BEST! "

Seriously though, you've helped me a lot, but the Losi ad at the end made me giggle sorry!

By the way, there is a tap screw included in the MF2 kit. I think that's what you meant by a 4-40 tap. If you had to buy one make it a Losi tap screw though! Sorry I had to get one more shot in
Old 10-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

can some people pose some of there set-ups thanks
Old 10-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Rysuleod - Actually, I was referring to a 4-40 tap from a hardware store..the screws are a pain.

I've used all the glues out there and I definitely prefer the Losi glue because it sticks better.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

I wasn't trying to argue about what glue is the best glue. I was just trying to be funny!

I had worse luck with the thick stuff because I'd squeeze some out and it'd stretch like taffy from the tire to the glue bottle when I tried to stop applying it.

Maybe your Losi glue isnt as thick as the stuff I had.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

I use the stuff in the blue bottle. The thinner the glue, the more prone it is to getting brittle and cracking.

I know you weren't trying to argue..I was just trying to prove that I wasn't kidding!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Tech Regular

I'll second the recommendation of the Losi blue (thick) tire glue. Best tire glue I've ever used, period (I've tried about half a dozen different, and reputable brands). No matter how well I prep the tires and rims, the Losi stuff stays stuck the best. On several occasions, I've been too lazy to prep the tires/rims, and I still haven't had to re-glue any of those tires.

I'd just like to note, however, that the tires I didn't prep were Pro-Line tires. Losi tires have a funky brownish residue on them (probably mold-release agent) that I believe may not allow the glue to stick as well (all tires have some residue on them, but some are worse than others), so I make sure to ALWAYS prep my Losi tires. A simple swab of some nitro clean or motor spray squirted onto a paper towel is all it takes to clean them off.

Pick up a bottle of the blue (thick) Losi glue, and use the little tube that comes with it (just cut a small part off and use that, so the tube lasts you a while). Strongest, easiest, least messy tire gluing setup I've found. The Losi glue is some of the cheapest at the shop, too.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

How much prep do you put into putting your tires together. I cut the foam and remove any excess rubber from the tire bead. Then I take my dremmel with a wire brush wheel and quickly go through the bead. When its all said and done, I balance them. Do you do anything different?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

I have a feeling the rebuttal will be a gentle, caring beating with the ban stick.

I wonder if DerekL's other 292 posts were as educational as this one.

I dont know how you could do any more prep workl with your tires mafiaracers, short of using tire shine on them like a real car!
Old 10-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Mafia- I cut the foams, cut any large chunks of rubber off of the bead so the tire seats properly on the rim, then wipe down the bead of the tire with a little bit of nitro clean/motor spray sprayed onto a paper towel to get any left-over mold release agent off. That's it. I don't usually do anything with the rims (unless they feel particularly greasy to me, which is rare), and I've never balanced a tire. After the first pipe I hit, it won't be balanced any more anyway.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You'd be suprised how nice the car feels with balanced tires. You should definietely try it. Just use sticky-tak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.