R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-04-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default xxx-T mf2 (very loud )

i just built a new mf2.i put it together with lol and when i went to drive it the thing is the loudest truck i have ever heard. even with a new pinion. so i pulled the trany back out to see if i put it together wrong or didnt use enough greese but it was by the book. thanks for your help
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Tech Regular

The noise could be coming from a lot of different places, most obvious is proper gear mesh, dust cover rubbing, have grease on tranny gears, tranny case screws too tight (they just need to be snug enough so they will not come loose), or the motor itself. You just need to try to diagnose the problem yourself b/c other than people on here shooting in the dark at what the problem is I'm sure it could be solved a lot faster and easier if you figure it out. Spin wheels over, then spin them over after take dust cover off, then take pinion off and spin tires, then take tranny out and spin it over, then spin each dogbone with tire still on it seperately. Once the noise stops or whatnot then you have the problem area isolated and could be the part is making the noise or user error and screws or gear mesh etc...
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:32 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

another thing to keep in mind is the kevlar spur gear is much more rigid than the nylon version. this can translate into more noise.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

The Kevlar gears should be much quieter because it's much more of a slippery (self lubricating) material.

Slobbers always makes dialed posts..haha
Old 11-05-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Maybe because its brand new and all the parts arent worn in yet or it could be that your motor is worn.Worn motors make a heap of noise or there could be a little rock embedded in the spur gear which make a loud flicking sound.I had this problem with noisyness and when i bought a new motor the noise seemed to go away
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:33 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Check the bearings in your motor they can make alot of noise after they go.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

My MF2 was noisy too but it was easily fixed with adjustment to the gear mesh. Seems these trucks want the gear mesh a little tight.
TJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
Tech Regular

i ran it sat. it got a little quiter. but it is still loud .no matter what motor or pinion i use i even put the 88t spur plastic on and it didn't make that much of a diff
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My MF2 made an awful noise on launch while I was testing before my weekly race. Turns out the diff had come loose. That's the loudest noise that's ever come from my truck.

I can't think of any piece in the transmission that would bind and create noise unless it was malformed. Maybe you did not use enough lube as per the directions?

I did have to cut a squared notch in my gear cover to clear the outdrive. It was rubbing on something and making a squeaking noise when the suspension compressed.

I have heard some nasty crunching noises coming from other's trucks but never mine thank goodness!
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote