Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin RS Pro -- No Lights >

Tekin RS Pro -- No Lights

Tekin RS Pro -- No Lights

Old 08-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks again Randy for all of your help with this issue.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Repulse View Post
Thanks again Randy for all of your help with this issue.
What was the problem?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

His RS Pro simply won't power up the fet system. It powers up and shows function but will not run the motor. There's a lot of things it "could" be but nothing he can fix on his own.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Brand new RS, firmware update applied, no lights

I think that the same thing described by the user that started this thread has happened to me. Here's the quick version of my story:

Got a brand new Tekin RS + Redline 17.5 combo about 4 weeks ago, finally got the car built and wired up last night and ran it in the driveway. Everything worked fine. Brought it to the track today here in GA to race it for the first time, and a bunch of the guys there have Hotwire so I had one of them connect to apply a new profile that would give me a bit more pep than default settings. Hotwire said that it needed to update the firmware, it went through a series (3?) of update "stages" if I remember correctly, then ended with a 30 second reboot of some sort.

After that Hotwire kept popping up a little green error box that said something along the lines of "some of the parameters of this speed control are outside of the expected settings". Hotwire recognized the speed control fine after that, but we were unable to apply/save any settings, and the speed control played no tone when turned on, and no lights were displayed. However, the Hotwire software continued to recognize it and continued to be able to reapply the firmware update, so we tried 3 more times with same result.

At this point I brought my car over to the trailer of Gene from Turtle Trax Hobbies here in GA, he is regarded as the local Tekin expert and sells the RS at his hobby shop. Long story short, he wasn't able to get it to work either, same exact result. Both laptops were running version 212 of Hotwire (or maybe it was the RS firmware that was 212, I'm not 100% clear).

To wrap this up, I ended up buying a brand new Tekin RS on the spot from Turtle Trax on the spot since I had brought my little boy to the track for the first time, it was the last race of the season and my first time with an electric car so really wanted to run (I've raced nitro for last 8 years).

So. . . I have two brand new Tekin RS's, each with about 10 minutes total run time. One of them works great and one of them doesn't even show red lights or beep when you turn it on (but receiver and servos run great). Gene from Turtle Trax Hobbies said it wasn't "smoked", so Tekin should be able to restore it somehow. I don't know if I will run often enough to require two speed controls, so I need to figure out if I can return it somehow, or at a minimum get it fixed so I have two working RS's.

Sorry for the long post, but it was a pretty frustrating day. The good news is that once the second RS was in the car, it was so fun to drive (and faster off the line and backstretch than a lot of other cars) that I and my little boy had a great afternoon. I guess I will call/e-mail Tekin on Monday and see what they say, I am told that their support is second to none so I have high hopes.

-Josh
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KnottyMonkey View Post
I think that the same thing described by the user that started this thread has happened to me. Here's the quick version of my story:

Got a brand new Tekin RS + Redline 17.5 combo about 4 weeks ago, finally got the car built and wired up last night and ran it in the driveway. Everything worked fine. Brought it to the track today here in GA to race it for the first time, and a bunch of the guys there have Hotwire so I had one of them connect to apply a new profile that would give me a bit more pep than default settings. Hotwire said that it needed to update the firmware, it went through a series (3?) of update "stages" if I remember correctly, then ended with a 30 second reboot of some sort.

After that Hotwire kept popping up a little green error box that said something along the lines of "some of the parameters of this speed control are outside of the expected settings". Hotwire recognized the speed control fine after that, but we were unable to apply/save any settings, and the speed control played no tone when turned on, and no lights were displayed. However, the Hotwire software continued to recognize it and continued to be able to reapply the firmware update, so we tried 3 more times with same result.

At this point I brought my car over to the trailer of Gene from Turtle Trax Hobbies here in GA, he is regarded as the local Tekin expert and sells the RS at his hobby shop. Long story short, he wasn't able to get it to work either, same exact result. Both laptops were running version 212 of Hotwire (or maybe it was the RS firmware that was 212, I'm not 100% clear).

To wrap this up, I ended up buying a brand new Tekin RS on the spot from Turtle Trax on the spot since I had brought my little boy to the track for the first time, it was the last race of the season and my first time with an electric car so really wanted to run (I've raced nitro for last 8 years).

So. . . I have two brand new Tekin RS's, each with about 10 minutes total run time. One of them works great and one of them doesn't even show red lights or beep when you turn it on (but receiver and servos run great). Gene from Turtle Trax Hobbies said it wasn't "smoked", so Tekin should be able to restore it somehow. I don't know if I will run often enough to require two speed controls, so I need to figure out if I can return it somehow, or at a minimum get it fixed so I have two working RS's.

Sorry for the long post, but it was a pretty frustrating day. The good news is that once the second RS was in the car, it was so fun to drive (and faster off the line and backstretch than a lot of other cars) that I and my little boy had a great afternoon. I guess I will call/e-mail Tekin on Monday and see what they say, I am told that their support is second to none so I have high hopes.

-Josh
Yeah... just fill out the RMA form from tekins website and send that back to them... they will have a new ESC to you in no time flat. Nobody has faster and better customer support than Tekin.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm having the same problem as KnottyMonkey...

Bought a used b44 with RS Pro + 7.5t Tekin motor.

Ran fine for a week, bought a Hotwire today, tried to update from 212 to 223... needed a few try before it worked.

Now the RS Pro won't beep and no LED are on when I power it on...

Can't reset it manually or something?

I'm in Canada, I guess if I send it RMA it will takes 2-3-4 weeks before I get a new or a repaired one?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

I got this problem after trying to update the firmware. I solved it this way:

1. Uninstall hotwire software from computer
2. Restart computer
3. Install hotwire software in computer
4. Open hotwire software
5. Connect hotwire to esc first
6. Connect usb cable to computer without hotwire
7. Connect usb to hotwire
8. Open software again if necessary
9. Update firmware

This time it updated fine and i could change the esc setting via hotwire. The esc started working fine again