R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   esc need your opinion (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/543070-esc-need-your-opinion.html)

1gdsmracer 08-18-2011 03:33 PM

esc need your opinion

I just bought a new rb5 and going to buy a esc tomorrow, im going to be running a orion 7.5. My choice is a Novak GTB2 that is 99.95 or a tekin rs that is 169.99. Which one will be the better choice?

thecman26 08-18-2011 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1gdsmracer (Post 9542893)
I just bought a new rb5 and going to buy a esc tomorrow, im going to be running a orion 7.5. My choice is a Novak GTB2 that is 99.95 or a tekin rs that is 169.99. Which one will be the better choice?

Tekin RS, for the money WAY better!
I am interested if the Orions are better though? For $210 they had better!

dug44 08-18-2011 03:48 PM

I had a gtb in my rb5 at one point. I love novak, but i hated the footprint.... Way too big for my liking in the limited space you have. Wound up putting a lrp sphere in it, much better. That would be the only downfall i see in the gtb.... Tight squeeze.

OG RC 10T 08-18-2011 04:14 PM

What are you thinking asking for opinions, on an rc web site......

I ran all Novak 10+ years, (burnt up a couple gtb's) till the currnet rs and rs pro came out. Two rs pro's and two T8's later, I wont switch back to novak. The Tekin is more expensive but extremely tunable, updating programs is easy and each time an update comes out, its almost like buying a new esc.

Just me - go tekin

Cpt.America 08-18-2011 04:14 PM

running a 7.5 with a normal Tekin RS you are right on the line for thermaling issues. For a hot mod motor, you want an LRP v2.

racer1812 08-18-2011 06:39 PM

I agree the RS would pushed to it's limits with a 7.5. The RS Pro, LRP SXX v2, or Kinetic are all better choices. Which is the best is all opinion and opinions don't win races. The GTB2 will run a 7.5 just fine but the adjustability of the others is worth the money weather you can use it now or not. If money is the issue the GTB2 will run the 7.5 safer than the RS.

RcRacer27mx 08-18-2011 06:47 PM

The RS should work but you might want to check into the RS Pro!

I love the program ability! Even though I am bad at setting them up! :D

RS - Motor Limit Brushless Mode: 5 Turn, 36mm can

RS Pro - Motor Limit: None! :D

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushless-ESC

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushless-ESC

lowroad 08-18-2011 08:23 PM

I own both. The gtb2 is a fine esc. A bit bigger than tekin stuff, and the gtb2 has sort of the standard programability. Lots of options, but nothing like a tekin with turbo, boost, rpm ranges etc...

So if tuning and tweaking every little thing is important, then get the tekin. If you want to save $70 and not be able to hook your esc up to a computer, get the gtb2. Also, check the for sale section. Used RS and RSpro esc's are around all the time sometimes for $120 or even less.

the big rc 08-18-2011 09:24 PM

I would check out the Orion. They just cleaned up at Nats. It looks really sweet and from everything I have heard it is amazing.

I just got a full set up from Orion today to do a review on. I will have it up monday or tuesday at thebigrc.com

I'm going to be testing it this weekend.

RC.Jon22 08-19-2011 01:51 AM

Coming from someone who owns a Tekin RS, GTB2, and a Mamba Max Pro...for your situation if money is an issue look into the Mamba Max Pro. The Tekin RS has a ton of features, is very small, but has a 5.5 motor limit, which really means you should consider the Pro version since 7.5 is pushing it. The regular is more for around 8.5 or slower, maybe even a 7.5 but if you go Tekin and plan on running mod motors get the Pro. The regular is $170 and the Pro is around $220. The GTB2 has no motor limit but is a bit bigger, although I'm sure it will fit (I fit one on my narrow TRF417 chassis). The Tekin is great if you plan on using the PC tuning options (timing, boost, etc.), which you probably would like later, but if you are using a 7.5 motor that is already a ton of speed and if you don't want to deal with carrying a laptop around the GTB2 is very easy to use and change settings. The Mamba Max Pro is around $120 and allows you to use any motor and you can program with the Castle Field card which is a little box that plugs into the esc so you don't have to carry a laptop, but if you do want to you can plug into a PC to do more advanced tuning.

Just giving some ideas, sorry for the late night rant..

daverobbo5 08-19-2011 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T (Post 9543090)
I ran all Novak 10+ years,, I wont switch back to novak. The Tekin is more expensive but extremely tunable, updating programs is easy and each time an update comes out, its almost like buying a new esc.

Just me - go tekin

+1

my novak ran for 10 mins
gotta tekin thats copped 10 months of punishment. +1 for tekin

delane74 08-19-2011 08:20 AM

tekin

^^^^^^^^^^ the same has happened to me. go tekin.

Cpt.America 08-19-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by RcRacer27mx (Post 9543787)
RS - Motor Limit Brushless Mode: 5 Turn, 36mm can
RS Pro - Motor Limit: None! :D

Which are not 'out of the box' limits, and not for any rc application. 1. these limits are for 2wd offroad, or 12th scale onroad only. 2, they are ratings IF you are double capped, and are running an external fan.... AND, its a best case scenario (you're on the line). If you tossed a 5 turn motor into your buggy, and wired up your RS right out of the box... You wouldn't get 2 minutes out of it before it thermaled.

The problem with the Tekins isn't even their motor limits, it's with their power delivery. Toss your 7.5 in and wire up a Tekin RS pro and drive it... then swap in an LRP v2... you will notice a dramatically smoother power delivery with the LRP, and that it was ultimatly matters when running mod, not how "tunable" the speedo is.... "tunable" is what you need when running a spec'd motor with dynamic timing allowed. It just isn't that important in offroad. I run a 9.5 in mod buggy, and my LRP is set to zeros across the board, right of the box settings. Because they are the least agressive/smoothest settigns.. thats all you need. Need more power? ... run more motor.

1gdsmracer 08-19-2011 01:06 PM

well looks like im going to wait for the new orion speed contol.

Randy_Pike 08-19-2011 01:18 PM

Cpt. I'm glad that works out for you. Some however prefer to have the ability to tune their esc to their liking. Smooth is matter of opinion.

What you can't take away from the RS RS PRo line is that it is the longest running top of the line esc on the market,period. Every other esc manufacturer has come out with multiple versions multiple times to compete with upgrades that we made via software.

I'm happy you're happy with your LRP. But one size doesn't fit all, and we're ok with that.