Wiki Posts
Search

Racing more than one class??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Racing more than one class??

Starting racing this season for the first time once the building is done on the local track. The track is having a SCT only night and a regular electric night. I have been planning on racing SCT PRO4 on the SCT night and 1/8 eBuggy on the regular electric night. When you other racers started did you stick to just one class or more than one. I was thinking of SCT PRO2 along with my SCT PRO4 on short course night and maybe Mod 2WD Buggy with 1/8 eBuggy on the regular night.

What did you expirienced racers do when you started? Is more than one to much for a newbie racer??
Old 08-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by Cmjomaha
Starting racing this season for the first time once the building is done on the local track. The track is having a SCT only night and a regular electric night. I have been planning on racing SCT PRO4 on the SCT night and 1/8 eBuggy on the regular electric night. When you other racers started did you stick to just one class or more than one. I was thinking of SCT PRO2 along with my SCT PRO4 on short course night and maybe Mod 2WD Buggy with 1/8 eBuggy on the regular night.

What did you expirienced racers do when you started? Is more than one to much for a newbie racer??
I'm working on getting into another class now so i can get more track time when i go to race.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you're just starting, stick to one class. Once your comfortable running one class then you can think about adding another one.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
If you're just starting, stick to one class. Once your comfortable running one class then you can think about adding another one.
agreed!

When I first started I only ran one class so I could focus more on that class. As I got better I went onto another class.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The more classes you run the more versatile you will get on the tracks. I'm currently running 1/8 Nitro Buggy, Mod SC 2wd, Mod Stadium truck, and starting 2wd Mod Buggy, and 2wd Stock SC again. On different days of course. But more track time= quicker improvement on lines. Which means you get faster!

But as above until you get comfortable with one class, stick with one. You will get frustrated with changing driving styles/ car maintenance and not want to race any more. Which sucks ahahaha.

Last edited by So*Cal AFDude; 08-13-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: ADD
Old 08-13-2011, 08:32 PM
BOG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

try two, if it is too much then just go with the one. Say if there are 4 heats and you are racing two and marshaling then you are one busy dood, ask me how i know!!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I rarely race but when I do, its 2 classes. I don't know about you guys but for me, I get waaay too bored just racing 1 class. Too much free time even after some repairs/tuning.

Last time I raced, I ran 2WD 13.5 buggy and 1/8th buggy.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for all the great advice. I really enjoy tinkering on my kits and bashing right now and I want to feel the same about racing. So I think not over doing it at first it is good advice. So for now I think i will stick with just one class per night.

If anything I will add SCT Pro2 first since running PRO4 and PRO2 on the same night seems like less of a learning curve than 1/8 ebuggy and 2WD mod on the same night. Thanks again for the advice!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been in the rc car game for only a few month tops, but I've been in the rc plane and heli game for over a decade. the way I coped with sooo many different classes and competitions was pretty much based on my comfort level.

If i felt stressed or overwhelmed with too many events, too many requirements, too many damn setups, I would pull back my reach, maybe drop one or two classes.

If I was comfortable where I was but felt I could squeeze in a few more sessions then I would, otherwise I just left it as it was.

My personal opinion is go with what your comfort level and also budget level can sustain with some room to spare
Old 08-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Tech Initiate

I raced more than one classes at big meets.

I than drop one class if not going well but gain valuable track time from doing so. It all helps i feel..
Old 08-14-2011, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are new , sticking to one class just for a while, a month maybe will give you track time and you will get your feet wet. You will also see how the programs run and how much time you will have to work on things before your next race in the next round.

Myself, at bigger events I will run 2 normally and 3 at the most. If it is just normal club racing then I might stick with one class and devote all of my attention to that one class so I can get the best finish possible.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

while focusing on one class sounds like a great idea for a new racer, i really suggest running 2 classes.

my main reason is while your new, setup other than tires will not really change much for a new person in terms of lap times, so you dont really spend much time tweaking that setup, but mostly just tires, and thats easy to see by walkin around the pits for 5 minutes.

the thing that will help a newer racer out the most is MORE TRACK TIME. this is why i really suggest racing two similar classes when first starting, like when i first started i raced a t4 and a b4 at the same club race, just to gain the extra track time.

since your running pro4, look at the same companies pro2 (2wd corr). i am a strong believe that racing 2wd will also make you faster with your 4wd too

then on open electric nights you can run your 4wd corr and 8th scale :P
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

I like to run 2 to 3 classes. One really competitive class and the others are just for fun. That way, if I break something I won't have a short race day.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

yea when first starting out, or trying a new car it's best to stick to one class until you get comfortable with the car and have a setup that works for you.. I used to have 3-4 cars with me a while back and couldn't keep one going, let alone making it to an a-main lol
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jake S
while focusing on one class sounds like a great idea for a new racer, i really suggest running 2 classes.

my main reason is while your new, setup other than tires will not really change much for a new person in terms of lap times, so you dont really spend much time tweaking that setup, but mostly just tires, and thats easy to see by walkin around the pits for 5 minutes.

the thing that will help a newer racer out the most is MORE TRACK TIME. this is why i really suggest racing two similar classes when first starting, like when i first started i raced a t4 and a b4 at the same club race, just to gain the extra track time.

since your running pro4, look at the same companies pro2 (2wd corr). i am a strong believe that racing 2wd will also make you faster with your 4wd too

then on open electric nights you can run your 4wd corr and 8th scale :P
+1. You already have the cars, and I assume batteries, chargers, etc. to run more than 1 class, so the only extra money it will cost you is entry fee. Electric racing isn't like it was BITD when some of us started. You had NiCad batteries that had to be discharged and EQ'd, motors that had to be cut, and if you ran Mod, you had to worry about making rutime. Nobody ran any practice laps LOL. Electric is so much simpler now, charge 'em up, plug 'em in, go. I can run 2 electric classes with less hassle than one nitro. The more track time you get, the faster you'll get better. I'd do 1 at your first race just to get the hang of things, then go for 2 after that. If you don't have them already, get a couple of personal transponders. Soooo much easier than using house PT's, one less thing to worry about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.