R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default *** AFGHAN PROJECT - READ THIS***

Nothing to see here... move along.

Sonor Drums, Zildjian A 16" Crash, Sabian 21" AA dry ride, Zildjian 20" K Ride, Sabian AAX hats.

Last edited by rustyfingers; 08-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.
rustyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Sonor Drums, Zildjian A 16" Crash, Sabian 21" AA dry ride, Zildjian 20" K Ride, Sabian AAX hats.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi rustyfingers,

I fully endorse what you are doing but, and its a big but; How does the community here know that this project is legitimate.

Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not calling you a liar or a scam artist but with no proof of what you are doing its very hard for someone in this hobby to send their gear or cash to someone they don't know.

Look.. I'm sure this is legit but with the internet the way it is you have to understand it is very hard for people to know where their money or gear is actually going.

If you could get this sponsored by a RCTech admin or something to prove its legitimacy it might help with getting you some gear for the project.

Also try asking your local hobby shops, maybe they even know the guys you are sending the gear to.

Again mate, I'm not taking a jab, spike, or flame at you for doing this, in fact I hope you can get the gear together for the guys to make their life out there that one bit better. and I would like to see this work.
Club: Keilor Off-Road RC Car Club
Lojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
Hi rustyfingers,

I fully endorse what you are doing but, and its a big but; How does the community here know that this project is legitimate.

Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not calling you a liar or a scam artist but with no proof of what you are doing its very hard for someone in this hobby to send their gear or cash to someone they don't know.

Look.. I'm sure this is legit but with the internet the way it is you have to understand it is very hard for people to know where their money or gear is actually going.

If you could get this sponsored by a RCTech admin or something to prove its legitimacy it might help with getting you some gear for the project.

Also try asking your local hobby shops, maybe they even know the guys you are sending the gear to.

Again mate, I'm not taking a jab, spike, or flame at you for doing this, in fact I hope you can get the gear together for the guys to make their life out there that one bit better. and I would like to see this work.
Well said man, well said!!

Dennis, this is a sad state of paranoia we live in surrounded by the internet. I agree hit the local Hobby Shops, everyone always says "Support your local hobby shops." and this is a great way for them to give back.

Also you might get better results contacting manufactures directly, tell them your plans and see how they might be able to help.

Another idea, kinda bold... I see Fireman in the middle of intersections carrying boots asking for money (I'm ok with that). It's usually for a cause in the area and works very well and is well received. Round up a few of your guys, go in uniform and hit up the local tracks on race nights and see who is willing to donate for your cause. I bet you would do very well and people sleep better knowing where the stuff they donated went.

Hope that helps, good luck and THANK YOU!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfingers View Post
OK, here we go.

First off, My name is Dennis R...... As you may or may not know, our soldiers don't make much money and if they are trying to support a family that leaves very little for such luxuries. You would be surprised how many families of our soldiers are on food stamps and need assistance just to afford the basics. Well I can't do much, but.......
I think this idea is stupid. how about we give the soldiers some gift cards to a grocery store and leave it up to them what luxury to spend freed up cash on if they wish to. seriously, if you're on food stamps, RC is the the last thing you need to be spending time and money on.

I have several friends who are in the military and many who are ex military and have families of their own. dont take it as if i dont know or dont care about our soldiers.
shadoflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoflame View Post
I think this idea is stupid. how about we give the soldiers some gift cards to a grocery store and leave it up to them what luxury to spend freed up cash on if they wish to. seriously, if you're on food stamps, RC is the the last thing you need to be spending time and money on.

I have several friends who are in the military and many who are ex military and have families of their own. dont take it as if i dont know or dont care about our soldiers.
you must not be up to date on your RC in Afghanistan. There is a published article that they where using Traxxas stampedes with mounted cameras on top looking for IED'S.

EDIT LINK

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/rem...ry?id=14225434
Chase1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey I appreciate what your trying to do here, but it appears to be turning into a flame war. Op very much appreciate what your doing but I don't want any negative publicity or rep for you trying to help out here. You can close this thread, I'm sure us guys out here can come up with something for someone out here, but I do appreciate the support Be safe.
Afghanistan Racing!
8ightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Dennis

Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Man... base pay, overseas pay, hazardous duty pay, and virtually no where to spend it, or anything to spend it on? It's a nice thought, but soldiers get PAID. I know, I was there.
lowroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowroad View Post
Man... base pay, overseas pay, hazardous duty pay, and virtually no where to spend it, or anything to spend it on? It's a nice thought, but soldiers get PAID. I know, I was there.
How many children do you have? House payment, car notes, home and car insurance, school bills, ect...

Anyway, we're done here.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default afgan project

Guys, My name is Bubba Barham. I run the Flowood R/C Indoor Park. This is the first city owned indoor off road race track in the US. We opened Dec. 1, 2010, and just held our biggest race with Adam and Ronda Drake, and Mark Pavidis in attnedance. It was a great race. Please check out our web site and if you are every over this way, please come see us. www.flowoodrc.com

I have known RustyFingers since he was fifteen years old and he is 50 now with a wife and children. He came to our track and got into the hobby not to long ago. In addition to being in a mangement position at a huge health care company, he is also a professional photographer and most of the pictures you see on our web site were taken by him. He presented this idea to me and I told him to go for it and see what others think. He did. He is a very intelligent, caring, honest person who wanted to do something for someone of our troops with R/C. I guess the consensus here is let everyone do what they want and I think that is fine and will go along with that as well, but I can assure you of this. His intentions were in the right place and he would never attempt to steal from anyone. At least all of you and us are thinking about out troops being at war helping to provide the freedome we take for granted.
bubbafrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
How many children do you have? House payment, car notes, home and car insurance, school bills, ect...
Housing allowance, etc... Come on, man. Soldiers ain't starving. If they have too many kids, who's fault is that? Like I say, it's a nice thought, but a soldier, marine, seaman, or airman is damned low on the list of folks I think need charity due to lack of income. They can sure buy their own toys. Wanna send them something? Send them snacks that keep well, zip lock bags, some local foods from their home town, some home baked cookies... Shit like that.
lowroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Reading your original post, it says you want to send over an e buggy to one of the guys over there so he can race. So are you saying you know this particular person? Do they actually race 1/8 buggies over there? If they do, how many guys, etc...?

The reason I ask is 2fold. We have guys in Okinawa that have a couple of tracks on or near base and they do race over there, but of course, if it wasn't for the big earthquake, nothing has been going on for decades, but they still are our guys protecting us with no idea what tomorrow might bring.

I also have a guy that has a RTR fusion truggy. We gave him a substantial discount (APO address) on all his stuff, but he certainly wasn't racing it and he was in Afganistan. I haven't talked to him in a while so I am not sure if he is stateside right now or not. I know him and a few of his friends had a blast running packs through it on base. He sent us pictures of it parked on a tank and in the sand over there that looked really cool.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
OK, here we go.

First off, My name is Dennis Rest....

Objective:
Get a 1/8th scale buggy to one of our men in Afghanistan ready to go with an ESC, Motor, Batteries, a few to....

... so they can race instead of watching the other guys have all the fun. If this works we'll do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1472 View Post
you must not be up to date on your RC in Afghanistan. There is a published article that they where using Traxxas stampedes with mounted cameras on top looking for IED'S.

EDIT LINK

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/rem...ry?id=14225434
i read that article. i think it's awesome how effective that traxxas was and i think the army and traxxas should work something out together instead of buying the other uber expensive contracted out remote surveyor. sorry, i cant remember what it was called, but it did the same thing except was much fancier and exclusive.

im not gonna rub it in your face that the OP's intentions is not about mine sweeping.
shadoflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

Not to knock on what your doing here. I just came back from there, and didn't have a problem getting a truck out there to play with. But the terrain is too harsh for a 1/8th buggy. the 1/10 buggies I build just couldn't hack it off of the pavement. My 1/8th Truggy, (a RC8Te) Ran like a champ.

First off, I could not bring back my my lipo's. And they destroied my transmitter, out of fear they could be used for an IED if found by badguys
widnerkj is offline   Reply With Quote